“Great choice!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Great choice!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

First off we enjoyed this hotel as this was a highlight of our trip to Washington. I didn't book on any site and just stopped in. John was training a new hire so I was patient. John jumped in at perfect times with helpful feedback and suggestions he even worked with me on the price as I was thinking of going to the Palomar for a couple nights and he helped me make my choice easier with highlights of both hotels. We choose this hotel because of him. We choose the King bed with the amazing tub. Well worth the upgrade as my wife enjoyed it after a long day walking around the city.

John pulled out a local map highlighted the local attractions and suggested routes to take to see them. The parking was the only frustrating part do to you have to use their service which cost 45 bucks. I would suggest they up the price of the room and include free parking for guest. You also must sign up to the reward program to receive free internet. I suggest you do this before going as the VIP gets good benefits at this hotel. Also when they suggest a cab take it as Washington traffic is rough on the weekends and good luck finding a parking space anywhere in the city. All in all a great choice and the views from the hotel where great as the Whitehouse is about a mile walk. For my first time here it was well worth the extra dollars for the comfort of this hotel.

Side note: the pool is outside and when we went they where under construction. If not for those few minor things I would have easily gave this place a 5 star.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Icetheman
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hi Icetheman,

Thanks for your review.

Darn! Almost had the 5 stars. Sorry about the pool, you should come back this season, it's going to be awesome. As for the parking, we set our prices based on competitive set of Hotels. While DC in general is high, we are in the middle of the pack.

Cheers and we look forward to your next stay,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Donovan is a DC hot spot. I have stayed here twice...excellent overall experience. I've been to their rooftop for various events....awesome city views at poolside. I've eaten at Zentan....ambiance and food to die for. So now I am in the process of deciding where to have my out of town guests stay while visiting Wash., DC for the first time in January 2014 and of course there is not other choice but Donovan. I want my friends to be overly impressed during their first visit and Donovan is my place. Thanks for all of the experiences (moving out of the area soon)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Donn D
Hi Donn D,

Thanks for your review.

So sad! You're moving away! Oh well, all good things must come to an end......unless you stay with us when you visit DC. Appreciate you sharing all your positive experiences with my Hotel.

Best of Luck,

Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I love everything about this hotel. The location, the service, and the views are all fantastic. We are always greeted promptly upon arrival and the upgrade was spectacular. It was a beautiful room with floor to ceiling windows, comfortable bed, and a large tub. The front desk staff is always professional and friendly. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hi SPKinVA,

Thanks for your review.

What great feedback. Appreciate you sharing. Heads up, the rooms are about to get even better. We're in the midst of a renovation right now. Stay tuned folks!

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Having not been to DC in 10 years, I really didn't know what we would be getting in terms of location when we booked this hotel. It's in a terrific location - 5-10 minute walk away from the White House, Chinatown, and the cool restaurants and shops of 14th Street NW. Very accessible by Metro via Blue Line from Reagan National Airport. Loved the room design. The bed was firm and very comfortable after 2 long days of walking around the city. Unfortunately the shower pressure in my room was too low and even when turned up all the way on hot, it still sent out cold water. The sink drained slowly, which was irritating, and some of the furniture needed touching up. Internet was fast, but occasionally dropped out. It seemed like there was only one working elevator, and we frequently took the stairs to get down. For the price we paid though, and the location, I would probably stay here again, in spite of all the quibbles.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank soonerfaninbhm
Hi sonnerfaninbhm,

Thanks for the review.

Yes, our location is spot on. Really can't beat it being in the middle of everything. As for some of the other items you mentioned, I have to agree with you. So you know, we're currently under renovation, thus the slow elevators. I will be overly excited to present a brand new room product in 2014!

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The Donovan House is definitely not old school. From the lobby with the swinging seats to the circular shower with tge square shower head, it's downright hip. I enjoyed the free wifi and the cool mini bar with freebies just for signing into the rewards program. The platform bex wasn't plush but it wasn't bad. The breakfast at the adjoining restaurant wasn't delicious and was overpriced -- 5 bucks for a small grapefruit juice? But I ate it. Its the kibd of place might grow on you especially if you have as pet. Pets are welcome here! But I thought the square industrial sink gimmicky. And not very functional. And there was no coffee maker or ice bucket. But I liked the Donovan. Its for the beautiful people who don't mind being in a cool if unfunctional room.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hi SistahTraveler,

Thanks for your review.

Sounds like an overall positive stay. I agree on the functionality comments. Looks pretty awesome, but not the smartest design. The back story on the property is that a prior management company designed it to be very lifestyle and style focused, but not the most functional. We're pleased to report that we''re currently undergoing a rooms renovation that will primarily address functionality. Stay tuned, it's going to be pretty awesome.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

It was my first visit to DC and the Donovan House Hotel. I will however be coming back. Free coffee in the mornings and free wine in the evening are always welcome. However, the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the rooms combined with the good food make it a keeper when planning a visit to DC!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank GlenCH
Hi GlenCH,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with our signature Morning Coffee and Tea Service as well as our Evening Manager Hosted Reception. Both are uniquely personal and close at heart with Kimpton. A couple of our services that guests love, as did you.

See you soon,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have stayed a lot of places in DC, none can compare with the Donovan House!
The location is very convenient to downtown and all the sights of DC. The staff here is exceptional and so helpful! Room service is delicious and very punctual! Being a design addict I loved the room and bath design! The space was perfect and clean with great windows and also a warmth that you don't often get with modern design. In a word Donovan House is- Perfection!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a suite, the larger bedroom and sitting area is so great, and the bathroom is...