“Another Stellar Stay”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I love everything about this hotel. The location, the service, and the views are all fantastic. We are always greeted promptly upon arrival and the upgrade was spectacular. It was a beautiful room with floor to ceiling windows, comfortable bed, and a large tub. The front desk staff is always professional and friendly. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Hi SPKinVA,

Thanks for your review.

What great feedback. Appreciate you sharing. Heads up, the rooms are about to get even better. We're in the midst of a renovation right now. Stay tuned folks!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Donovan Hotel

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Having not been to DC in 10 years, I really didn't know what we would be getting in terms of location when we booked this hotel. It's in a terrific location - 5-10 minute walk away from the White House, Chinatown, and the cool restaurants and shops of 14th Street NW. Very accessible by Metro via Blue Line from Reagan National Airport. Loved the room design. The bed was firm and very comfortable after 2 long days of walking around the city. Unfortunately the shower pressure in my room was too low and even when turned up all the way on hot, it still sent out cold water. The sink drained slowly, which was irritating, and some of the furniture needed touching up. Internet was fast, but occasionally dropped out. It seemed like there was only one working elevator, and we frequently took the stairs to get down. For the price we paid though, and the location, I would probably stay here again, in spite of all the quibbles.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soonerfaninbhm

Hi sonnerfaninbhm,

Thanks for the review.

Yes, our location is spot on. Really can't beat it being in the middle of everything. As for some of the other items you mentioned, I have to agree with you. So you know, we're currently under renovation, thus the slow elevators. I will be overly excited to present a brand new room product in 2014!

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The Donovan House is definitely not old school. From the lobby with the swinging seats to the circular shower with tge square shower head, it's downright hip. I enjoyed the free wifi and the cool mini bar with freebies just for signing into the rewards program. The platform bex wasn't plush but it wasn't bad. The breakfast at the adjoining restaurant wasn't delicious and was overpriced -- 5 bucks for a small grapefruit juice? But I ate it. Its the kibd of place might grow on you especially if you have as pet. Pets are welcome here! But I thought the square industrial sink gimmicky. And not very functional. And there was no coffee maker or ice bucket. But I liked the Donovan. Its for the beautiful people who don't mind being in a cool if unfunctional room.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi SistahTraveler,

Thanks for your review.

Sounds like an overall positive stay. I agree on the functionality comments. Looks pretty awesome, but not the smartest design. The back story on the property is that a prior management company designed it to be very lifestyle and style focused, but not the most functional. We're pleased to report that we''re currently undergoing a rooms renovation that will primarily address functionality. Stay tuned, it's going to be pretty awesome.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

It was my first visit to DC and the Donovan House Hotel. I will however be coming back. Free coffee in the mornings and free wine in the evening are always welcome. However, the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the rooms combined with the good food make it a keeper when planning a visit to DC!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank GlenCH

Hi GlenCH,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with our signature Morning Coffee and Tea Service as well as our Evening Manager Hosted Reception. Both are uniquely personal and close at heart with Kimpton. A couple of our services that guests love, as did you.

See you soon,

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have stayed a lot of places in DC, none can compare with the Donovan House!
The location is very convenient to downtown and all the sights of DC. The staff here is exceptional and so helpful! Room service is delicious and very punctual! Being a design addict I loved the room and bath design! The space was perfect and clean with great windows and also a warmth that you don't often get with modern design. In a word Donovan House is- Perfection!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a suite, the larger bedroom and sitting area is so great, and the bathroom is...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeremy H
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Hi Jeremy H,

Thanks for your review.

Wow, perfection! Some big words to live up too. So happy you enjoyed. You mentioned the design, so I wanted to pass along that we are refreshing and updating the rooms. We'll be 100% complete in March.

See you then.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've stayed in Kimptons before and liked them, but this one was very disappointing.

Cons:
-- Hair in bed (not mine)
-- Sink did not drain -- this happened in both of our rooms
-- Wifi stopped working halfway through our visit
-- slow elevators - only one seemed to be working
-- no room service when the restaurant is closed, and no way to get or make coffee after 9 am

Pros:
-- staff were friendly, if unhelpful (ie, they did nothing about the lack of internet access)
-- decent location - walkable to downtown, with a CVS and some cafes nearby (for the coffee/food/internet you can't get in your room)

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank forestview7

Hello forestview7,

Thanks so much for your review.

Yikes, what a rough stay.I am sorry that it was so sub-par compared to your other Kimpton experiences. Just a few comments. We admittedly have had some WiFi issues over the last month. I am pleased to say that we've addressed the issue and have not received any complaints in the last week. As for the elevators, we are indeed undergoing a rooms refresh that requires them to be under shared use. This will cause some slight delays. As for coffee, I am not sure where the communication breakdown occurred, but we do offer In-Room Coffee setups on request.

I feel bad about your stay and that you left with such a negative impression. Would you be so kind to contact me? I want the chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I am an avid Kimpton goer and the Donovan is one of my newest favorites. Beautiful and 5 star service - a standard for Kimpton hotels.This is the third time here and upon arrival, I was recognized as a return guest and intouch member.

"John D" in guest services was awesome and added a special touch to my stay. He followed up on a request I had and made it happen.

The restaurant is delicious and always busy - I would recommend a reservation, and it's worth it.

Location is perfect and in the warmer climates the roof top bar is stunning.

Abe (manager?) is visible and interactive and that is so welcoming.

Room Tip: Corner kings offer great views and extra space. Become a Kimpton intouch member and wireless is comp...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hi JenLutz82,

Thanks so much for your review.

Seems like you had a very enjoyable, classic Kimpton experience. We like to keep things on a personal level here at Kimpton and looks like our man John D, at the front desk, really took this to heart. We're in the midst of a rooms refresh so I'd like to invite you back after it's complete in March for another stay.

Cheers and thanks for the nice note about me. Very much appreciated.