“Average Boutique Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Average Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The staff was very nice and accommodating. The room is small but decorated very nicely. Unfortunately, my room smelled liked someone smoked every day, all day! The rug was dirty and had dirt marks all over. The bed was low, hard and uncomfortable. The pillows (all four) were too soft. There didn't seem to be a service or freight elevator.The maintenance guys would take the same elevators as the guest. Often we would ride with them and a big bin of garbage or dirty towels or they would just be coming out of the elevator leaving the smell behind. Most times the wait for an elevator was long A lot of good potential but it is not quite there yet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi Ny E,

Thanks for your review of our property.

Average?!? Dagger!!! Tough pill to swallow, but I appreciate the feedback. Many of the room quality issues you spoke of will be remedied very soon. I am pleased to announce a major rooms renovation that will really freshen up the place. As for the service elevator, during your stay we've been undergoing an elevator renovation as well. The renovation unfortunately results in one of the elevators not functioning placing many of our guests in a similar situation. I'm also happy to report that this renovation is coming to a close.

A lot to take in, but I hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I arrived mid-week at the hotel by 11am and my room was not ready, understandable as check-in time is 3pm, hence I was prechecked. I booked my stay through British Airways (combination of Euro/Avios points) and had a voucher that I showed but was handed back to me.
Upon arrival in the afternoon, reception informed me that the higher floor room that I requested about 3-4 weeks before was not available, and this one was not quiet, and I was not told about the free internet. When I arrived in the room on the 2nd floor it had small windows and was overlooking Thomas Circle (which was nice), the closet smelled not so nice, so when Rosa (very friendly) called to ask whether all was fine I asked her whether my room was a King Premier, as booked? She said it was - still, I did not understand why I did not get a room with large windows as it is pictures on the website.
The first night, with jetlag, I called concierge/technician because the AC blew right in my face, and also because one of the neighbors had his music turned on at Disco level. Both situations were quickly resolved. Thank you!
The wine hour: I was too early, the room clock was not adjusted to winter hour ... Not a good start but hey, i sat down in the lovely lobby area to check my internet and at 5pm a nice gentleman handed me a good glass of wine. One evening there were also oysters, a treat for seafood lovers (not me). The lady with the snacks did not take notice of me on several occasions.
First morning I missed the coffee hour so I went into the breakfast room and when I wanted to pay, I was told the coffee was offered. That was very considerate and appreciated.
My stay was charged on my cc even though the reservation doc clearly stated NOT to charge the guest (me), I found out when I checked the receipt that was kindly e-mailed to me. Rosa arranged this quickly but needless to say that I was not happy. I saw the charges on the invoice and when I compared it with the points and the amount I paid in Euro I was irritated - but guess British Airways is to blame for this. Next time I'll book directly with the hotel - it's cheaper in the end.
All in all, all staff were very helpful, always friendly, the room was very clean, not enough drawers to my liking, but great bath, super shower, too large sink and not enough space to put stuff, great curtains that kept the streetlights out, and I loved the bathrobes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hello Mieketing,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate all the detailed commentary that you provided. Apologies for the room situation, we do offer many different room type categories that may have resulted in you having the most ideal rooms. A majority of our rooms do view out onto 14th Street, Thomas Circle and Massachusetts Avenue, but there is a small percentage that have interior city views. I am very pleased to hear that a couple of annoyances during your stay were quickly addressed by our top notch team. Wine Hour is always a hit in our Hotels, sorry to hear you are not a seafood fan.

Overall, I'm pleased that you found our Hotel to be good, but not great. If you would have us, contact me anytime to give us another chance.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The small front desk staff at this hotel really contributed to our happy memories of our recent DC trip. Every time we went in or out it seemed the same gentleman was there. He was always friendly and our requests for ice, etc. were always very promptly and kindly met.

We loved our room with amazing views too. I also especially loved the big bathtub and the bathroom design--minus the towel ledge which kind of juts out so you have to watch your head!

The wine hour also featured apple sake, which was awesome. Nice touch!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hi Nicole R,

Thanks for your review.

Sounds like you encountered one of our very best at the Front Desk! I assure you we're more than just a one man show. Appreciated you acknowledging our staff. They really do give it their all and honestly just care about taking care of people.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Service, Attention-to-detail & a Personal touch...these are a few of my favorite things.

The Donovan House has it all, and more.

I came to D.C. with my Fiance to celebrate our recent engagement and a special birthday. I chose The Donovan House due to the positive reviews and proximity to the Warner Theater.

It's crucial to note that the 5 Star Customer Service I experienced from The Donovan House, started weeks prior to our arrival. Being that this was going to be our first time to not only The Donovan House, but to D.C. as well, I wanted to be sure to do my homework on the area. I reached out to the hotel via the "Contact Us" forum, and I was completely blown away by the feedback and advice I was given. Jonathan Ferlez made me feel like I was a personal friend of his, taking the time to walk me through numerous restaurants, details on the area, etc. Jonathan made personal recommendations based on our needs & wants. We engaged in numerous emails and each time, he made me feel completely at ease and well taken care of. Jonathan is a massive asset to The Donovan House and I am extremely appreciative for all the work he did prior to our arrival, but also once we were there, to make this weekend getaway a trip to remember!

I booked a King Premier Room for this special occasion trip, and upon checking in on Saturday (about Noon), we were told the room was still not ready and we would not be guaranteed Check In until the standard 3pm time. This was not exactly ideal, as we were tired from traveling, but we understood. This is where another Star from The Donovan House emerged. Felicia, who greeted us at the Front Desk, gave us passes to a museum we were interested in seeing so we enjoyed that after lunch.

While we were at the Museum, no more than a few hours after leaving the hotel for lunch, Felicia calls us with exciting news, that not only was a room ready for us, but we were actually being upgraded to a suite!! Epic. When we returned to the hotel from the Museum, Felicia was genuinely excited to give us the keys to our Suite and her sincerity was truly heart-warming. She congratulated us again on our engagement, and sent us on our way. (Again, attention to details.) The Donovan Suite was Epic...simply Epic. No words can describe the view, the size of the suite, or the experience in general. We left for dinner and our show and upon returning back to our Suite, Jonathan had delivered a hand-written congratulatory note accompanied by a bottle of Champagne, assorted cheeses and chocolate... BLOWN.AWAY.

The Donovan House does not just offer a phenomenal stay, but it offers a unique EXPERIENCE that every D.C. visitor should be privileged enough to have. Again, it's about the Service, Attention-to-detail & a Personal touch.

The Donovan House / Kimpton will clearly be our hotel of choice in the future.

Thank you so much again, Jonathan & Felicia!!!

Room Tip: * Book a King Premier Room, the size of the room and the view is well worth it! * Make yourself a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joey M
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi Joey M,

Thanks for your TripAdvisor Review.

Wow, what an awesome experience. While I'm super pleased to hear about Jon and Felicia's interaction with you, I am not at all surprised. They are a couple of our very best and like you said, assets to our Hotel Family. I'm so happy you got a chance to interact with them during your stay.

Until next time,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'm afraid to let the Kimpton secret out, but I figure I should do the right thing. This place is your standard (and by standard I mean excellent) Kimpton hotel. The decor is both fun and relaxing. The rooms are chic, but very comfortable. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which I really enjoyed. It was continental, but they use quality foods like organic yogurt, hardboiled eggs, good coffee and fresh fruit (not just bananas and apples). They have your standard hot items too. I think the selling point is the free wine happy hour. They also give you a $10 credit for the minibar if you join their membership. The customer service throughout the hotel is very professional and classy. The only downside was that our room was a little humid, but nothing to fret over. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hi ssm17,

Thanks for your review.

Be proud and loud! The secret is out already on Kimpton. I appreciate you sharing such a positive experience about our Hotel. The $10 Raid the Bar credit you received it apart of our Kimpton InTouch Guest Loyalty Program. All should join!

Sydney
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was a terrific and fun hotel. The décor is fun and modern but the does not leave you with a sterile feeling that a lot of the modern hotels often do. The room was really light and bright and the modern chair was great to sit and read in (really good light to go with it). Loved the funky animal print bathrobes. Bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. We quite liked the novel shower set-up like entering a snail shell but it meant that there was no mouldy build up around shower screens or being caught in a wet shower curtain. We missed happy hour each day but because the hotel was so well located we were out doing plenty of other things. It is a short taxi ride from Union Station (wow that a great railway station to see) but for the day to day metro it is a 2 minute walk from the hotel and you can easily get to some of the key sites using it. Breakfast was okay but it seems like it is hardly used by a lot of people so we felt a little like we were the only people. No hesitation recommending this hotel and if you can get a god deal like we did even better. Enjoy

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi JJMcK,

Thanks so much for your TripAdvisor Review.

What an awesome stay. Sorry you missed our Evening Hosted Wine Reception. It's daily from 5PM to 6PM and super popular. The Nautilus Showers are a signature design feature of the rooms. Guests love them. Lastly, our location is top notch and allows you to access all of DC's great neighborhoods.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Donovan House is a very engaging, modern hotel just below Thomas Circle on 14th Street. The rooms are large with very modern decor, lots of windows and a beautiful rain shower in the bath. The room furnishings, including a fun modern chair, are striking. This is a Kimpton Hotel, where they always treat you like family and work hard to make your stay fun and enjoyable. If you are in DC for sightseeing, the Hotel is close (3 blocks away) to the DC Metro. For dinner or lunch walk up 14th Street, which is one of Washington's hottest dining destinations. If you are tired, have dinner in Zentan, an excellent Asian Sushi restaurant that is part of the Hotel. Overall, I think this is a very enjoyable place to stay in the nation's capital.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Hi James P,

Thanks for your review.

What a great stay. Loved all parts of your review, but most enjoyed your comments about us being a Kimpton and the type of treatment you receive. You're right about our location, 14th Street features some of DC's finest new Restaurants and Bars. We're perfectly situated for a stay-cation or urban getaway.

Appreciate the comments and sharing,