“Kimpton is great!”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Love Kimpton hotels! I stayed here for a work trip, the location is convenient. The happy hour was a perfect way to relax after a long day of meetings. The rooftop pool and bar were great too, I wish it would have been a personal trip so I could have had more fun while visiting!

the hotel valet my suitcase while I was at my meetings so I didn't have to lug it around the city. The staff was very friendly and I would definitely stay there again for work or pleasure!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AtlantaJessica11
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi AtlantaJessica11,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor.

Sounds like an awesome stay! Remember, travel should always be fun, no matter what.

See you soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Highlights: great view from room. Cool modern bathroom. Helpful and nice front desk staff. Great sushi restaurant.
Downside: just felt kind of cold....from the lobby, elevators, decor. Something lacking for me.
The staff was nice though and the location good. Unfortunately rooftop pool/bar were closed due to weather when we were there.
The room rate was good too.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi TKM_10,

Thanks so much for your review.

Sounds like a good overall stay, but I hear you on the "WOW" factor. I'm excited to share that we'll be undergoing a rooms renovation at the end of this year. Will be great for the property and maybe add some of that "WOW" you we're looking for.

Give us another shot in the new year.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was very impressed with the cleanliness & attention your staff provided to us. Everyone was customer service friendly and went above and beyond to please us.. This is a 10 spot to relax and visit and bring friends and family again,.I want to add a special thanks at this location to John "supernova" he is professional and very knowledge of the hotel business, and for his dedication and loyalty he should be "Supervisor". Thank You all for a great experience

Room Tip: Im sure evry room is a great choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veronica m
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hi veronica m,

Thanks so much for your review.

Sounds like a great stay. I appreciate you sharing and also highlighting the services that John provided. He's one of our very best.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed with friends for a weekend trip to DC for a weekend in October. We checked in on a Friday and checked out on a Sunday. We checked in later on Friday night, so they upgraded our room from a Queen to a King bed. This was nice, but we know it's probably because they didn't sell out that night/weekend. Still, they didn't have to upgrade us and it was a pleasant surprise.

I would consider this hotel a 'boutique' hotel - it's almost a little hyper-stylized. The furniture and decor are a true mix of the 60s, 70s, and 80s with a very modern feel. However, you can tell that they cheaped out on some of the materials used in the rooms and hallways.

For example, the bathrooms had showers with a set-up that I have never seen before. It was made of circular white plastic that curves into a half-circle and no shower door. I actually like the design, but it was cheaply made and it's very obvious. Being outside of the bathroom in the hotel room, you can actually see the grout used to hold the material together - and they actually made mistakes that they didn't clean up, if that makes any sense.

My point is, the atmosphere and decor are nice, but some of the material and furniture look cheap.

Which brings me to my next point - the only reason we stayed at this hotel is because we found a deal for $135 on JetSetter. The regular price of the room we stayed in was $315 and still is! I'm from NYC, so I totally understand how expensive things can be, but with The Donovan's House location, the price per room is absolutely ridiculous. I had several homeless people hassle me upon just stepping outside the main entrance of the hotel. It was a warmer weekend and the gas fireplace in the lobby did make the entire lobby very hot.

The rooftop bar - they actually have a great setup up there. There is a lot of space and an outdoor pool. There are plenty of seats and tables. However, they told us this was the last night they would be open and that they decided to close early at midnight. So we figure we'd have a drink and go out somewhere else. The bartender took forever to make the drinks and it wasn't even crowded. Our friends were with us and one of them asked the bartender why everything was taking so long. The response he got was that they were trying to finish all of the bottles behind the bar because of the seasonal closure. This is odd because there is another bar and restaurant downstairs, within the hotel. Why wouldn't they stock the bar as usual and just bring whatever is leftover from the season downstairs? That explanation just didn't make sense. What also doesn't make sense is why they closed the rooftop bar (which is equipped w/ heat lamps) and had a birthday party as well as other customers enjoying the view. It was a beautiful night. Do they not want to make money?? Maybe it wasn't worth it to them or maybe DC just doesn't have the nightlife that other cities have.

Breakfast/Room Service: The food was actually good - we got the continental breakfast and the eggs white w/ sausage. My husband and I shared both. Part of the continental breakfast includes yogurt, granola, and fruit. Towards the bottom of the fruit bowel, we found a long reddish-brown hair. Neither my husband nor I have reddish-brown hair. The kitchen staff probably made a big bowel of fruit salad and then they scoop smaller portions into the bowels they serve. I can just picture how many hairs may be in the big bowel. I didn't say anything to the staff about it because we had clearly eaten everything else on the tray, drank the coffee, etc. I know things happen, but it was gross.

Also, they only offer complimentary coffee and tea during early morning hours - not throughout the day. I believe that they bring the coffee in by 10 am on the weekends. I can stay at a Hampton Inn or a Fairfield Inn for much less and even they provide coffee and tea all day and night. It's just strange that a hotel that charges so much can't even provide that.

All in all, it wasn't a bad stay, however, but the room is worth $135. Not $300+

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Ships26,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciate the comprehensive comments about our Hotel. These are always the most helpful. First, allow me to speak to overall room condition. We're undergoing a full rooms renovation at the end of this year which should address many of the wear and tear issues you mentioned in your review. I wanted to also apologize for the experience you had with DNV Rooftop Lounge as well as the food quality issue with your breakfast order. Obviously, not very pleasant to say the least. I'll be sure to pass along to our restaurant management team. All in all, I do hope you will give us another try in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

During my stay at the Donovan House last week, I found the entire staff to be excellent. The staff was warm and friendly and always attended to my needs. I've been with another high end hotel group for years and will gladly switch my affiliation to the Kimpton Group. The Hotel itself was very nice and I've heard prior to my stay that some amenities needed attention. I stayed in the king premiere room overlooking Thomas Circle and the view and room was excellent. I just want to personally say thank you to the entire staff of the Donovan for making a country boy feel at home during my week long stay and look forward to staying there again when I come back on business. I've traveled all over the country and have never seen a more warm and friendly group. Thank you again for such a pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, but my obvious choice is definitely the King Premiere room overlooking Thom...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David C

Hi David C,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Sounds like you had a great time with us. Super excited to hear about the possibility of switching your Guest Loyalty affiliation over to Kimpton Hotels and our Kimpton InTouch Program. Why don't you send me a quick email when you have a chance? I would like to connect you with the right people in our Guest Loyalty Department.

Hear from you soon,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We checked in after 1 AM with our three dogs and one cat. The staff welcomed our pets in the lobby and gave them a treat. They sent up pet beds and food bowls so they could get settled. The entire stay was perfect! The staff looked after us really well. They even sent up a birthday treat! The hotel was lovely and close to everything. The weekend was out standing thanks to the Donovan House staff!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gayle F
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hi MrBigBallz!

Welcome back to the Donovan House.

Sounds like you had an awesome stay. Glad your little furry ones were well taken care of as well. I'm sure we'll see you soon!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel is very well located, just a few blocks from The National Mall. The room was very cozy, the front desk staff was very polite and helpful. There could be some improvement in the continental breakfast, but still I would recommend it

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hi csimoneti,

Thanks so much for your review.

Sounds like you had a very positive experience with us. Sorry to hear about the challenges with the continental breakfast. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our team in charge of that area. Any specifics I could share? Feel free to contact me, it would be greatly helpful.

I look forward to your next stay,