“Modern, Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Troutville, Virginia
“Modern, Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is located on 14th street which is a very nice area. The first thing you will notice is the very contemporary designed furniture. The hotel is very modern/futuristic in its decor. The beds are very comfortable. The shower is shaped like a snail shell and very unique. Nice faucets/sinks. The premier room had a well stocked mini fridge ($). Nice flatscreen TVs and beautiful view. Now, the downside - pool is much smaller than it looked online. It was very crowded. The parking next to the hotel is $45 for the night. Other than that, those were the only two negatives. The concierge and staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank beachgoer42
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi beachgoer42,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you had a good stay, but I do appreciate the constructive criticism. The pool is very popular and in high demand. As for parking, we do set our rates based on area and competitive Hotels. Parking spaces are at a premium in Downtown DC, as is the same in many metropolitan environments.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Forest City, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Don't count on a wake-up call at Donovan House 3 out of 4 times the call never came. I was given a "complimentary" breakfast for my inconvenience and taxi fare, however at check-out the charges were on me. Trying to make-up for another missed wake-up the hotel offered to cover the charges for the "complimentary" breakfast. Really??!!! Since I couldn't shower due to recent surgery I was upgraded to a room with a bathtub--absolute heaven! The real problem with this hotel was the pool/bar area. Never used the pool since it closes at 5:00pm - commitments during the day never allowed for time. I went to at least view the pool around 8:00pm one evening and was hit on by men going to and from the elevator. This was very unsettling. Every evening the hotel lobby and elevators were full of people who were not staying in the hotel. This just doesn't seem like a good idea to me...no ice machines, no vending - just ridiculously expensive mini bar and honor bar snacks. Thankfully there is a CVS across the street! On the morning I had to get a cab due to the missed wake up call the bellman had a taxi for me before I even exited the hotel--awesome! Thanks Skip!

Room Tip: A low floor to avoid waiting and waiting for an elevator. My room faced Thomas Circle but it was qu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hi Carolyn C,

Thanks so much for your review.

I am so terribly sorry about the wake up calls during your stay. I am sure this was incredibly frustrating and not to mention the compensation being a bit of a show. Thankfully Skip was there to save the day!

Matthews, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Booked via Priceline.com. Overall, our stay was good, however, there were a few aspects that made it not the greatest place for kids. The pool closes at 5PM, which seemed a little early, but this was due to the opening of the rooftop bar, which turns into a hot spot after hours. There are no ice machines on the floors so every time you need a bucket of ice, you have to call the front desk for delivery. No fridge or microwave so if you have leftovers or open drinks from kids, you're out of luck. The service was ok, but needed some prodding- We checked in late at around 11:30PM and asked for a rollout bed for one of our children. 45 minutes later, there was still no bed. After calling them at this point, the bed was there very quickly. This hotel has marketed itself with with the "spy" theme and very modern. Rooms were very clean and no issues there. We had a family of 4 and would not stay there again, but that's only due to the pool availability and lack of ice/fridge/microwave in the room. Location was ok. 3 blocks to the Metro but it was a little difficult to find a family-oriented dinner restaurant nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Caniac_Nation
Hi Caniac_Nation,

Thanks for your review.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't the most kid friendly. We certainly market ourselves to all customer groups, but I can understand and appreciate your feedback. I'm excited to report that this year end, we will be undergoing a major rooms renovation that will increase the number of double and in some cases triple bed accommodations we can offer. This will certainly make our property more kid and family friendly. Additionally, our pool does close weekdays at 5:00PM, but does stay open later on weekends till 7:00PM.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Fantastic and unique, retro seventies decor gave us the feel of a Bond movie waiting to happen,. From the car valet, to Felicia and Harald at the front desk and Aidan at the roof top bar and pool attendant Tyrone, outstanding service. They upgraded our room, great view of Thomas circle, futuristic Star Trek-ish shower, we expected to be beamed up in the buff. Lovely pool and bar on the roof where we spent a lot of time and at night when it switched over to a club, very happening no attitude vibe. Gracious complimentary wine hour in the lobby daily was a nice touch which we enjoyed. We liked it so much we returned the following weekend for another stay-cation. We shall return in the very near future, cheers Donovan House.

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton Hotel member and you may be upgraded.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmacNYC
Hi cmacNYC,

Thanks so much for your review.

What can I say? You interacted with some of our best in the building. That made the stay awesome.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I should have known that the "Bond" hotel would excel at the arts of stealth and mystery! The staff at the front desk and the restaurant hostesses were absolutely fantastic at helping me plan an incredibly romantic birthday surprise evening for my husband! Jon at the front desk and Lisa and Tiffany at Zentan were amazing! Lisa called me FOUR times after going back and forth with the front desk and her restaurant staff just to make sure that we had the surprise planned out to the very last detail. Talk about service! Tiffany at Zentan knew me by name the minute I stepped into the restaurant and greeted me with a wink to let me know our game was on! They worked out everything -- even a special secret mission note for my husband! We received a complimentary room upgrade to a fabulous and funky room overlooking Thomas Circle. And we were welcomed by chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne wishing us well. What a fabulous stay! The food at Zentan was delicious, the surprise was perfect, and the perks were wonderful. We want to make Donovan House a new family tradition!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi sam23sam,

Thanks so much for your review.

What an awesome stay! So glad you had a chance to dine in Zentan. The food and experience is truly exceptional. We'll see you next year!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Because they screen the movies in the lobby, err, living room. This is a very nice hotel, clean, funky, very helpful staff. It embodies the Kimpton approach to making larger hotels seem like boutiques. Free wine reception in the evening, free coffee in the morning (and unlike in the Madera, this coffee is drinkable :) The roof bar is very cool, food's good there, the pool nice, but too small. Main gripe for me are the rooms. In getting carried away by hipness the bathrooms are way too big, making the room overall small. Also, there was no table/chair to work on or eat at in my room at least. I had one complaint which I mentioned in the online post-stay survey, and the management immediately contacted me about it to apologise, showing how switched on they are. I wouldn't stay again for a work trip, but for a long weekend with the missus it is just the spot. I like Kimpton, and Donovan House is a good hotel in the chain.

Room Tip: I had an internal room, no traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Andreas B,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciate all your feedback about your stay. Seems like mostly good, with some critique. So you know, we are undergoing a full rooms renovation at the end of this year to really address, for good, the functionality of our guestrooms. This should solve the desk situation for your next business trip!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary with a short weekend trip to DC - I included this detail on the reservation and was congratulated on our anniversary when I first arrived at check-in that Friday morning. No rooms were ready at that time, so I dropped off my luggage at the front desk and enjoyed a complimentary day-pass for the CapitalBikeshare program - an awesome and unexpected perk! When I returned to the hotel later that afternoon, the woman who checked me in upgraded me to a terrific king room overlooking the circle - it was a sexy room (especially the mod shower/giant bathtub) with an incredible view - and there was a complimentary bottle of champagne to boot! (Not sure if this is standard, or if this was a gift for our anniversary - either way, it was totally appreciated.) Throughout our stay, the service was excellent - if there was one disappointment, it was the quality of the breakfast served via room service - totally fine, but in retrospect, I wish we had gotten out of bed for one of the many amazing breakfast/brunch places in the city. That said, I would absolutely stay here again - the Donovan did not disappoint with its great location, sexy ambiance, and high end service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi LisaMarieB52,

Thanks so much for your review!

Happy Anniversary! I'm happy you chose our Hotel to celebrate. Seems like we really held up our end of the bargain. See you next year?