“Swank”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“Swank”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Recently spent a week here with my spouse. We really enjoyed the experience. If you have to stay at a hotel, why not stay in a room with really cool decor? We liked the rooftop pool, which is, of course, better for relaxing and catching rays than actually swimming, and the locaton of this hotel is also very convenient. This place really was a bit of a surprise, but we are glad that we took a chance on a rather un-traditional hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi RPH80,

Thanks for your review.

We certainly offer a unique experience, that many can appreciate and enjoy. Glad you got a chance to experience our newly renovated DNV Rooftop.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
North Plainfield
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Staff and Hotel are a hidden Gem in DC. There attention to detail and the knowledge of all their staff is without question why I will frequent the Donovan House when I return to DC. We took my In-Laws to DC for Father's Day weekend and they enjoyed the hotel and staff immensely. Keep up the good work!!!

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton In-Touch program and you will receive upgrade information at a reduced cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi John F,

Thanks so much for your review.

Without staff, a Hotel is nothing but concrete walls, floor tile, carpet, paint and other cool looking things. The people working in a building with all these things, are what make it a Hotel. So immensely pleased you got a chance to experience this.

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First of all, the Donovan House knows how to celebrate birthdays. Not only did I receive a promotional rate, but I the gifts just kept coming during my stay. I received a free dessert and champagne coupon at check in and then upon returning to the room later the concierge had left a fruit plate and bottle of wine and a card thanking me for celebrating my birthday at the hotel. Talk about going above and beyond to celebrate my special day...

The hotel staff members were all fantastic. They were friendly and genuinely interested in making sure that I had a pleasant stay. I brought my two dogs along and they were treated like royalty as well. The front desk employees were so kind and didn't even flinch when I asked them to let me into the stairwell late at night and early in the morning to head back up to the room following our walks. Dog beds and bowls were supplied and dog biscuits were in ample supply.

A Note To Dog Owners: Many urban hotels lack nearby green space to walk dogs. Not the case here. The Donovan House is located right on Thomas Circle which has ample green space for the poochies.

The room had a really cool vibe. I chose a King Premier room to get the floor to ceiling windows overlooking Thomas Circle. It was definitely worth paying a little extra for the view. The bathrooms were lovely and good sized considering this hotel used to be a Holiday Inn.

The hotel has a rooftop pool which is quite the scene at night. The hotel lobby can get pretty crazy after dark with people waiting to be let up to the pool. Once I was back in my room I couldn't hear a thing and never would have known there as a party going on up on the roof.

Another great attribute about this hotel is that it's easy to get to and centrally located. From the hotel, I walked the dogs down onto the Mall, over by the Washington Monument and then back up by the White House.

In summary, the Donovan House is a great new addition to the Kimpton Family and to the DC hotel scene. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Jill S,

Thanks so much for your review!

Sounds like you sure did have an awesome birthday with us. The King Premier's are my favorite room type, because of the views. Glad you enjoyed.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Donovan House by Kimpton was a very pleasant surprise and a treat during a DC business trip. I could take a pleasant walk to the convention center in the same amount of time as the bus or a cab. There are some nice restaurants within walking distance, and they have Zentan as part of the hotel.

The room was beautiful, yet unique. The price was on the lower end of those offered by the trade show/conference but I felt it was a very high end experience (with a Boutique vibe).

The only negative is the fitness room was small, but they have a rooftop pool that I wasn't able to check out that might have been a good alternative.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi emme45,

Thanks so much for your review.

Looks like you had a great time with me. For your next stay, we do have an extensive partnership with Balance Gym, a Local Favorite, just one block from the Hotel. They offer all guests of Donovan House, discounted day passes for their full facility, including classes! Yes, DNV Rooftop is pretty awesome.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I was shocked when I walked in the room. No chair, no desk, barely enough room to set my carryon suitcase on a luggage rack. I am sitting cross legged on the bed trying to prep for a meeting. And the lighting is terrible. If you are simply using a hotel room to sleep and shower, this will do (assuming you aren't claustrophobic.) But I see absolutely no reason to stay here again. I travel to DC frequently and there is no reason to pay this much for a room smaller than most walkin closets.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Gubbini,

Thanks for your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am so sorry your stay wasn't great. We do offer plenty of room types that feature desks, chairs and traditional work spaces for the business traveler. Our King Executive Category and up all have work spaces. I recommend booking in the future directly with the Hotel to ensure your room type is appropriate for your needs. Another note, we are planning for a full rooms renovation at the end of this year that will specifically address the ability for guests to work in the room comfortably, as well as other items. If you are willing to give us another shot in the near future, please feel free to contact me personally at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.

Thanks for your time,

Keswick, Virginia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am on my way to being a Kimpton groupie. New York, DC, Alexandria and next time -San Francisco. We look at Kimptons first in any city. Donovan House was stylish and well appointed. Staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed staying in a different past of DC - previously had been in Dupont or Foggy Bottom or Georgetown. Good restaurants nearby (but no real close Metro stop).
Nice breakfast (only meal I ate here). Rooftop pool is small but nice for an afternoon respite after shopping or sightseeing.
Saturday night there was a band on the roof -I am sure it was a fun place but the noise did filter down to my room (I was on 9th floor). Might be worth asking about if you want to get to sleep.

Room Tip: A lower floor might solve the Saturday night band noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank carsprin
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi carsprin,

Thanks so much for your review!

Look at your "Mr. Kimpton" visiting all our Hotels. I think we have a fan? Also, really appreciated the comments about the Rooftop and Band Music Levels. We are trying to balance a lively and entertaining environment with one that is equally relaxing and revitalizing.

One note on Metro, McPherson Square is 3 blocks south of Hotel, so long as you use the 14th Street Entrance.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my 2nd stay. It is an awesome hotel. Rooms are beautiful with great views. Lovely sunset view from the rooftop bar and pool. Shops, restaurants and park all in walking distance. Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Clubb2,

Thanks so much for your review.

I guess the 2nd and 3rd times the charm! Glad you enjoyed another stay and hope we to see you again.