“Kimpton does it again”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Keswick, Virginia
“Kimpton does it again”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am on my way to being a Kimpton groupie. New York, DC, Alexandria and next time -San Francisco. We look at Kimptons first in any city. Donovan House was stylish and well appointed. Staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed staying in a different past of DC - previously had been in Dupont or Foggy Bottom or Georgetown. Good restaurants nearby (but no real close Metro stop).
Nice breakfast (only meal I ate here). Rooftop pool is small but nice for an afternoon respite after shopping or sightseeing.
Saturday night there was a band on the roof -I am sure it was a fun place but the noise did filter down to my room (I was on 9th floor). Might be worth asking about if you want to get to sleep.

Room Tip: A lower floor might solve the Saturday night band noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank carsprin
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi carsprin,

Thanks so much for your review!

Look at your "Mr. Kimpton" visiting all our Hotels. I think we have a fan? Also, really appreciated the comments about the Rooftop and Band Music Levels. We are trying to balance a lively and entertaining environment with one that is equally relaxing and revitalizing.

One note on Metro, McPherson Square is 3 blocks south of Hotel, so long as you use the 14th Street Entrance.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my 2nd stay. It is an awesome hotel. Rooms are beautiful with great views. Lovely sunset view from the rooftop bar and pool. Shops, restaurants and park all in walking distance. Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Clubb2,

Thanks so much for your review.

I guess the 2nd and 3rd times the charm! Glad you enjoyed another stay and hope we to see you again.

Albany, n.y.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I were attending a wedding of a close friend's son and a block of rooms were secured at the Donovan House . We found the staff and the accomodations were excellent. We were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful accomodations. I was not aware that Kimpton Hotels were pet friendly and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of patrons who had their pets with them.I would not hesutate to return to a Kimpton Hotel again should the need arise and would highly reccomend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Wherever you need to travel check to see if there is a Kimpton hotel and book a room. You will be ha...
Green Features: I was most impressed with the hotels practices.Their Green services such as use of recyclabes,water conservation fixtures was a pleasant surprise and most welcome.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi HappyCouple153,

Thanks so much for your review!

I'm so happy your visit to DC went so well. Wedding is already a beautiful thing, a great stay just makes it that much better. Come back soon, wedding or not!

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Donovan in DC is our second Kimpton Hotel we've visited. There WILL be more visits in the future! While we arrived on time, our room "wasn't quite perfect," as we were told by the front desk. So, he provided us with complementary drinks on the rooftop terrace by the pool. OH EM GEE. Wasn't quite expecting the Spring Break party atmosphere that we walked into. Lots of buns and groping going on. While my wife was a bit uncomfortable, I decided to enjoy the "view." I let the front desk know in advance that we were visiting the Donovan for an Anniversary celebration. When our room was ready (about 20 minutes later), our keys were brought to us on the roof. Our room (King Superior - 512) was just AH-MAY-ZING. The view was unlike anything I'd experienced. Clean...Modern...spacious. If this is their version of perfection, well, they succeeded. After our night out on the town (Blues Alley in Geogetown), we returned to our room, only to find chilled champaigne and chocolate dipped strawberries and an Anniversary card waiting for us! A TOTAL and WONDERFUL surprise. I cannot thank Clay the Concierge ENOUGH for this wonderful gift!! First the ROUGE, now the DONOVAN...next? The Palomar. The DC Kimpton Hotel tour continues!! Thank you Donovan Staff for a WONDERFUL Anniversary celebration!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi samenco,

OMG, your review is awesome!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with our Hotel and Staff. What a great way to celebrate an anniversary. Clay is pretty awesome, so I'll make sure to let him know about this review.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Donovan House has fun, modernist decor in deep plum and silver with cheeky "spy" theme. All staff we spoke with are are friendly and helpful. Extremely fast room service for breakfast and dinner and good quality dinner coming from the Setan Asian-fusion restaurant. No kids menu but we were able to order pizza for delivery. Rooftop pool with surrounding redwood deck is fun. It's definitely meant for a sophisticated dip and sunning but my 7 year old enjoyed it too. Note that the pool is not heated. The National Geographic museum is only about 2 blocks away which is worth noting. Was surprised that the room did not have any info in the hotel binder about surrounding restaurants, attractions, etc. Still, staff can answer most questions! Would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Hi FreqTravel77,

Thanks so much for your review!

Glad you and your family were able to enjoy the newly renovated DNV Rooftop. It features a great guest-only pool experience by day and Rooftop Lounge by night. I am also very pleased to hear that you were able to rely on our staff to make friendly, efficient and "Like a Local" recommendations.

Come back soon,

Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the second Kimpton Hotel I have stayed in. I really want to like it but the décor while very innovative is a little tired and the service while good is not excellent. I think my expectations of this boutique chain are just a little higher than what they are delivering. The location of the Donovan House is pretty good. It is a 3 block walk to the metro so I have to admit I have resorted to taxi rides instead of spending the time to walk to the stop and then take the time to get to my destination. Overall, I am fairly ambivalent over this one. I have stayed in a lot of 4 star hotels in DC and this just falls in the middle of the pack.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Cincytraveller_10,

Thanks so much for your review.

I really appreciate all your honest feedback about your experience. I am excited to share with you and the entire TripAdvisor community that the Donovan House will be undergoing a rooms renovation at the end of this year, Additionally, I will be sure to share your comments regarding service with my Department Leaders. We car very much about guest feedback and use it to continuously improve.

Cheers and I do hope you will return,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here with a group of 20+ guests. The property is quaint but has good service. It has a wonderful rooftop bar and lounge and the only restaurant on property is pretty good. The rooms are a good size, modern and clean. The property is very central and within walking distance to major landmarks. In addition, the staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi bballi,

Thanks for your review.

Appreciate the great comments about your stay. Sp happy to hear the staff treated you so well.