WINNER WONDERLAND

The Kimpton Donovan
Ranked #34 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Rutherford, New Jersey
“Great Location and Property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm an Inner Circle member so I was able to have a complimentary night at this hotel since it's new in their portfolio. When I booked my free Kimpton night at the Donovan House, I received a personalized email from the hotel asking me to fill out my personalized preferences in my account. I arrived at the hotel for check-in around noon, but the room wasn’t ready, so I got lunch and walked around town a bit. When I returned, I was told I was upgraded to a corner room on a high floor with an awesome view. The room itself was modern, spacious and comfortable.

After exploring D.C. a bit, we returned back to the room and found a welcome note, a fruit platter and some sweet Honest Teas. In my Inner Circle profile, I had noted that my favorite drink was unsweetened iced tea and my favorite snacks were fresh mangoes, pineapples, and red velvet cupcakes.

Did they nail it? Not so much, but nevertheless a personalized welcome amenity is always appreciated and makes me smile.

e then went down to the complimentary wine happy hour that’s held daily in the lobby between 5-6 pm and had dinner at the hotel’s restaurant, Zentan, using the $50 dining credit. The food was awesome and the evironment was trendy and nice. Overall, I can say I was quite pleased with my first Kimpton stay after experiencing the Donovan House.

The Hotel is centrally located with many attractions in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi aaucello,

Thanks so much for the review of your stay.

We L-O-V-E our Inner Circle Members! Sorry about the snafu with your amenity, must have just interpreted your profile wrong. Zentan is pretty awesome. Some of my favs include the Pearl Noodles and Sushi rolls.

See you soon?

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The location is great, only a 15 minute walk to the while house, While the lobby may be small, the hotel more than makes up for it in the vibe. We enjoyed our stay in the Donovan Suite, and felt at home. The staff goes out of their way to make sure any request is answered. THe room was large with a separate kitchen area, dining room/ living room, guest bathroom, as well as a huge bedroom with a soaking tub and spiral shower. The bed was extremely comfortable, and as always we enjoyed the fun robes! As always with Kimpton, the wine hour was a nice touch, and dinner at Zetan was delicious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renee0232
Hi Renee0232,

Thanks so much for your review.

The Donovan Suite is awesome! Best view in the city that really shows how centrally located the Hotel is. Glad you got a chance to sample Zentan. In my opinion, the Sushi is the best in the city.

richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I completely messed up my reservation. I booked Sunday through Friday when, really, I meant to book Monday through Friday. When I showed up on Monday night and realized this, my stomach dropped. it was late and I was worried about having to find a place to stay. Thank GOODNESS they had one more room. They re-booked my Wednesday and Thursday night but, were sold out for Tuesday night. Did I mention I also originally booked at a great rate?? I was in my class (which was on the property) and just hoped for a cancellation. All the people on the front desk and the event manager were looking out for me and keeping me updated. Happily, a room cancellation came through and I was able to stay at Donovan House for the entire trip.

Harald, Daisy (sp?), Nick and the evening manager who was there on Monday night and I can't remember his name were fabulous. Really, they could not have been better. They were always smiling, offering help and were honestly concerned on my behalf. Even the guys at the door were great. They were helpful, smiling and always there.

My room was beautiful - overlooked the church and the afternoon light was awesome. I didn't notice any noise from the street in either room I was in and the first night I was on the second floor.

When I go to DC again, this is where I will stay. I love the Kimpton hotels. They are all unique and great in their own way but, the service and staff here put this one over the top for me. Thank you guys for your concern, your help and turning what could have been a disaster into a non-issue.

My ONLY complaint would be no coffee in the rooms. Yes, I know there is free coffee downstairs but, trust me, you don't want me rolling down to the lobby in an animal print bathrobe at 6 am. Happily, Daisy saved the day with having a Keurig delivered to my room. That's right. All you have to do is ask. If I were they, I would just go ahead and stick one in each of the rooms. Just sayin'.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi RichmondLily,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciated all the detail and shout outs for Daysi and Harald! They are some of our very best. As for the coffee, we do provide in-room coffee makers on request. Its our commitment to being Eco-Conscious and small decisions like this one do really add up. If you sign up for Kimpton InTouch, you can add this as a preference to your profile so it will always be setup for you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Donovan House is quickly moving up my list of favorite hotels. It's location ( 12 minute walk to White House) is excellent, and the rooms are unique with great light and views. I've been in three rooms and all were well done and modern. Other reviews mention street noise. There is quite a bit (and some light noise as well) but not anything that detracts from sleep.

Beyond this, the service has been impeccable. There was a small glitch in my reservation, but Harold took care of it immediately and Dasiy was also helpful. If you have the time, also stop by their restaurant Zentan. Chef Jennifer works miracles with the menu and Joseph and Adrian made my meal the best in a long time!

Room Tip: Rooms are small (aren't they all in DC)? But their upgraded rooms are fantastic. Rooms that look...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi SweetSkyMom,

Thanks for your review.

Location, location, location! We've got the best in the city, close enough to just about everything. I'm even more stoked you got the chance to interact with so many of our very best team members. From the Front Office to the Restaurant Team, the service is great.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Lobby is small, busy, and cramped. Parking is expensive. Doorman nowhere to be found most of the time. Although we were on the 11th floor, there was a lot of street noise. The curtains even when fully closed, let in a lot of light. Was able to hear the couple in the room next to us getting romantic, walls are thin. Carpets in room and hallway were dirty.

This hotel is past it's prime and needs an overhaul

• Stayed April 2013
Abe L, Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Pmlagz,

Thanks for your review.

Sorry to hear of so many issues with your stay. Good news! We are actually undergoing a full rooms renovation that should address many of the issues you experienced. It is true that our "Living Room" is very popular, especially during our busy season. As for parking, it's pricey but on par with our neighboring Hotels.

Hope you will give us another try in the future,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We enjoyed a three-night stay at the Donovan House. On balance, we liked the hotel and would stay there again.

We had a King Premier room with a nice treetop level view of Thomas Circle. The room was large with great light (floor to ceiling windows looking out onto two vistas). We experienced no street noise at all. The room's modern decor had a Jetsons feel, which was fun. The low platform bed was superbly comfortable and the desk was large (although its chair curiously lacked casters). The animal print robes in the closet (zebra and leopard) were also fun. The bathroom had a deep soaking tub, a huge farmhouse sink and an unusual plastic shower that you walk into as though you are walking into a seashell (it's footprint is that of a comma). The round part extends into the room itself, and from there looks like a chamber where you'd go to have your molecules rearranged before being beamed up to the mother ship. The shower-tron.

We did have some frustrations. The pocket bathroom door didn't close all the way, and the giant sink didn't allow vanity space for toiletries. There was a list in the bathroom of items available on request, some of which I expect not to have to ask for. The good news is that they will get you anything; the bad news is that you have to ask for everything. It is not relaxing, particularly when settling in after traveling, to have to do an inventory, call housekeeping, and wait for basic items that one expects to be in a hotel room, such as a shower cap and coffee maker. And apparently because the coffee maker is a request item, it's not serviced. It was neither cleaned nor the coffee pods and creamers restocked. I learned I separately had to request those every day.

There were other service issues as well, and although resolved each time, they were a daily frustration. It's not that the employees didn't try--they were invariably nice, professional and eager to please. But things just weren't smooth.

Other nice features of the hotel were its location, restaurant (Zentan), and the daily morning coffee and afternoon wine service in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hi AnjVW,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you had a positive stay, but we missed the mark on a few things. You're right, guests shouldn't have to constantly report problems to have them fixed. I am going to make sure our department managers are aware of your comments and look to address each of your concerns.

Hopefully you will give us another shot in the future.

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

The staff there were very kind & helpful, and the smiles all felt very genuine ! I was there for business for 3 nights, and the location (5 minute walk maybe) from the convention center was convenient to say the least. I was on the 6th floor, and found the hallways rather dark, but who cares. Room was not huge but a decent size with King bed (comfy bed), and a weird sort of snails shell shaped shower with a rainfall showerhead that was uinque, but there could have been a tad more water pressure. Room was quiet and no complaints. Would likely stay there again. Got a killer deal on my room at $250/night... yes, that is a killer deal in DC. The room rate posted on the door was $900. Didn't participate in any meals or breakfasts or such there but I heard from another guest it was all good, and they liked the Lobby Wine thing at 5:00pm every day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hi 1970muggzi,

Thanks for your review.

You hit the nail on the head, our location is pretty awesome. Literally in the middle of it all.

See you soon,