“Need Better Curtains”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We love Kimpton properties. The hotel had great service, awesome decor and the location was good. But the window treatments need work - there was light shining in our room all night. It came in over the top of the curtains of a window that was the entire length of the wall. It was like day light all night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Hi RJES,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate your comments about your stay. We're actually in the process of planing for a full scale rooms renovation and one of the issues that we are looking to address are the curtains. Sorry that your stay was interrupted by the light.

Come back soon?

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Donovan House is a lovely place to stay. I stayed there with a friend (in separate rooms) and both had joined the Kimpton In-Touch loyalty programme in order to take advantage of the free in-room wi-fi and the "Raid the Min-bar" feature before we travelled. After an email exchange that included Kimpton stating they could not link my membership with my booking as I'd booked with an airline, they relented and allowed my In-Touch number to be added to reservation. We duly arrived and the hotel handed my friend a personalised (to Agent X - in keeping with the hotel's espionage theme) invitation to "raid" the mini-bar. I received no such invitation. After a delay in checking me in (no delay for my friend) I was given my room. When I queried the lack of my mini-bar invitation I was eventually given a piece of paper detailing the terms of the deal ($10 worth of food and drink is free per stay) but no key to open the mini-bar (my friend was).

After we left and returned to the UK my friend received an email thanking them for staying with the hotel and a note from the manager to ask for them personally should they return to the hotel in the future. Needless to say I received no such thanks or personalised offer. This all made me feel rather an inferior guest in the eyes of the hotel.

However, that aside, there are many positives to compliment this hotel. It is very clean, very modern and the staff are extremely polite and helpful.

The hotel also does wine and nibble tastings at 5pm where they serve complimentary red or white. A nice touch.

It is also located a 10 minute walk away from the White House and can access further afield points of interest in Washington with the nearby McPherson Square metro station.

Thoroughly recommended although I wish they treated all their guests to the same high level. If they did, it would be a five star hotel easily.

Room Tip: All rooms seem lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RJES

Hi RJES,

Thanks for your detailed review.

I always appreciate the lengthy reviews that provide lots of detail. Really helps me address any issues and acknowledge our superstars. I apologize you did not receive the same departure email about your stay. We typically respond to any guest that completed a Guest Satisfaction Survey, so I am not sure if you had the oppurtunity to do so.

Thanks again,

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This was the 2nd time my boyfriend and I stayed at a kimpton hotel and we loved the services that we get when we stay there as well as the modern feel of the hotel. This particular hotel was good ! The service of the workers was excellent everyone was nice and friendly ! The rooms were very unique ! The only thing I didn't like was the lack of parking and price of the valet! But it is dc so this is typical! Other than that the stay and the hotel was average ! I didn't love it as I did my first kimpton hotel but it wasn't bad! My boyfriend really liked it !!! I would stay at other kimpton a again! Love the happy hour

• Stayed: March 2013
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Hi Awilliams10,

Thanks for your review!

Overall, pretty good stay. I know sometimes our locations can be a matter of personal preference. As for the parking, it can be pricey in Downtown DC. So you know, we do set our prices based on our competitive group of Hotel that are in our surrounding area and service class. I know, not much to hang our hat on, but it's what the market produces for rates. At least we're not talking NYC or Chicago prices!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have stayed at a Kimpton Hotel in the past and had been overwhelmed by the level of service I received. So when I booked a room at the Donovan House my expectations were high. Unfortunately the Donovan House was not what I have come to expect from Kimpton.

The attention to detail was lacking and the level of service was far below what I have received in the past. One example of this happened after the first night I stayed there. I had checked in late and went straight to bed. The next day when I was turning back the sheets, the duvet had two very large stains on the top side. I called the front desk and explained the problem and they sent housekeeping up to change the duvet. When they got there, they said they did not have any duvets available at that time and only had a thin blanket. When they came in they only had the blanket and I had to ask for them to change the sheets as well. After that, I never heard from the front desk or anyone in management if the issue had been resolved. In addition, they never replaced the blanket with the a new duvet.

At the previous Kimpton we stayed in, the duvet with a stain never would have been place on the bed. Also, if something like this had occurred, management would have talked to me personally to apologize for the oversite. You may think that my expectations are a little to much for a hotel but this is the level of service I received that sets Kimpton above the others. Unfortunately, the Donovan House is not a great example of what you can expect when you stay at a Kimpton hotel.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that the rooms looked dated and worn. Very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hi Jeffery C,

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry we dropped the ball on the duvet. You're right, this should have never been placed on the bed and I can only hope that the Housekeeper missed it. Having been affiliated with several Kimpton Hotels, I agree with you that we provide a very high level of service and our process is to have every guest issued followed up with. We are also in the planning stages for a rooms renovation starting in the latter part of this year.

I do hope you will return to us in the near future,

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here from March 22-25. I don’t know when we will be back in DC again, but I know we won’t stay anywhere else when we return. We were treated like VIPs from time of booking til the day we checked out. Sharon took great care of us. She sent us a fruit platter and cookies the day we checked in and a cute little gold fish to keep us company throughout our stay. She also left us an envelope full of tickets to museums etc. The 2nd morning she slipped under our door complimentary coupons for the breakfast buffet. Too bad we never got to use them because we had early tours every morning, but we appreciated her thoughtfulness.

Room 712 Sharon reserved for us was perfect (see photo) - high enough away from traffic noise but just low enough to get that million dollar view. We were right smack front and center of The Thomas Circle. And the bathroom! OMG the bathroom! Being from Southern California, I did not care much for 20-30 degree weather in DC and I sure made good use of that bathtub. I soaked in it once or twice every day! It was so comfortable and relaxing. The only little complaint I have is that sticky sliding door. Please fix it :P

Sharon, thanks a lot for your attentiveness and great customer service. You made our time in DC wonderful and unforgettable!

Room Tip: Ask for room 712!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hi TripItPris,

Thanks for your review!

What an awesome stay and OMG, love Sharon. She's super friendly and works the overnight shift, when's the last time you came across that? Thanks again for sharing and I'll take a look at the door!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We arrived late and were able to pull up right in front. I went inside and was greeted by many smiling faces. Felicia at the front desk made several quick calls and Skip, the bell hop and the valet went and helped my husband and daughter out of the car. Felicia also made sure the crib was already in the room. I felt very welcomed and well cared for. Felicia even brought out a little toy for my daughter! Our room was bright and clean and very modern. It was a decent size and had lots of nice amenities. The view was great!

What I want to stress is that EVERY single person we interacted with during our stay was kind and friendly. The customer service here was unparalleled. We really had a GREAT time because we felt so well taken care of. That is so important and the Donovan House does it right for sure!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Hi ManayunkMichelle,

Thanks for your review!

Looks like you got to experience some of our very best in Felicia and Skip. I loved the ridiculously personal interaction Felicia had with your little one. Your story of excellent customer service is extremely pleasing, however not surprising considering the people you highlighted.

I hope you will return to us soon,

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I checked in to the Donovan House on Friday March 29th booking a King Executive and from the very first impression the Hotel and service was highly disappointing.

I pulled up to the front of the hotel where one can usually expect valet to be found...However this wasn't exactly the case. There was an attendant whom worked for the hotel who was busy staring off into the street where my passenger had to get out of the car and ask the man if he was able to assist us. He was not responsive or pleasant in his interaction. After a few minutes of sitting in the car, a valet attendant finally showed up. The door was also not being attended to... Check in was quick and simple and I was acknowledged for being a Kimtpon In Touch member, and the desk was very pleasant. Onto the the room where the disappointment continued. I would describe it as modern yet tired and worn. The carpets were frayed, misaligned to the outerparts of the shower, tables / doors nicked and chipped, as well as the paint peeling. All of this was very visible and not hard to notice... Looking beyond that, later in the evening room service came to our door, insisting that we had ordered for it, yet we did not... Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a big deal, but just another moment that left us less than impressed. The following morning we checked out, where again the front desk was very pleasant. I had called down ahead of time for valet where they were prompt to have the car ready. However after checking out, I saw my car, but saw no valet in sight. I had to go back in where I asked the front desk if there was any valet around where after a few minutes he showed up with my keys. I have to admit this was the earliest we have ever checked out of a Kimpton property and I cannot say that I will be staying here in the future. I've stayed at multiple other Kimpton properties always feeling impressed and wanting to return. This was a major disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hi Mbl5687,

Thank you for your review.

All I can say, WOW. I'm so sorry we dropped the ball on your arrival experience. I don't think most people would have had a positive impression after that curbside experience. I promise to address that with the team. As for the room condition, after we transitioned the Hotel from another management company, we quickly realized that the rooms needed a refresh. We are in the final planning stages of a full Rooms Renovation, scheduled for the end of this year. I am looking forward to updating the product, which will speak directly to your concerns. Hopefully we can welcome you back after this is completed. If you are interested in speaking further, please contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.