“Great Find on Thomas Circle”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #31 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, Connecticut
“Great Find on Thomas Circle”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife found a great boutique hotel for my birthday weekend in "the District." Located at the junction of Thomas Circle and M Street this is a newly remodeled and very modern black/white decor member of the Kimpton Hotel group.It features pod showers and mood lighting in the rooms. There is happy hour with light snacks every evening. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room is quiet despite its busy location; two blocks from McPherson Square Metro station and only a few blocks from The Philips Collection Museum of Modern Art.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hi bltblt356,

Thanks for your review.

You're absolutely right, we are in a very central and accessible location in DC and the rooms manage to be super quiet.

Hope you come back soon,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were in town for the weekend for the Rangers/Capitals game and I got a great rate at the Donovan House so we had to try it out. I love Kimpton hotels and although this wasn't the closest one to the Verizon Center (although we walked to it no problem) it was absolutely offering the best deal for the weekend.

We arrived a bit early around 12:30 and our room wasn't ready yet. No big deal we checked our bags and were given a map of the area and we headed out for some sightseeing and to find something to eat. On the weekends in DC the food options for Saturday brunch are extremely limited. I'd recommend having a plan in place because walking around and just hoping to come across a place didn't really work so well for us. However it did allow us to see a lot of the sites while looking for something to eat. We discovered during our trip it seemed like more was open and lively down 14th towards P Street.

When returned just around 3PM Chris assisted us with our check-in and he was awesome! He was really friendly informed us about the hotel, the wine hour, the restaurant and answered any questions we had. I had booked a basic Queen room but because of my Inner Circle status I was upgraded to a King Premier Room with the coccoon shower. The room was lovely very spacious with a great view. A few hours later our welcome snacks arrived, a huge bowl of popcorn, fruit plate, bottle of champagne and ice tea. Everything was good except the fruit plate which tasted as if it had gone bad.

Our overall stay was great. We had a beautiful March weekend to be in DC since the temperatures were in the 60s and sunny. The hotel was easy to walk to all the DC tourist sites and the Verizon Center. The wine house featured wines from South America and even had some passed vegetarian spring rolls.

On checkout Chris was once again a superstar. He helped us with everything from a not working mini-bar to checking our bags. I would highly recommend the Donovan House for anyone traveling to the area.

1 Thank JodyKitcher
Hi JodyKitcher,

Thanks for your review.

What an awesome time! I really can't even fault you for being a Rangers Fan after this glowing review. One question, I don't have a Chris on staff. Might it have been someone else? Let me know as I want to properly acknowledge whoever it was that provided such exceptional service.

Go Caps!

Toronto
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed in the Sofitel last November, which was nice but more expensive, and I actually liked the Donovan House more. My Executive King room was spacious and well appointed. The front desk and door staff were very helpful and extraordinarily friendly. Well situated for a short cab ride to everything. Great visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Liz10,

Thanks for your review.

I think we've got one of the most central locations in the city. Cab or walking, everything is easy access from the Donovan House.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Awesome room, attentive staff. I loved the sushi bar on the ground level, the food and drinks were awesome and the atmosphere was great. The rooms were very cool looking, I would recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi K M,

Thanks for your review.

Next time you're in, check out the rest of the Zentan Menu. We've got an awesome new Chef in place and her food will be sure to please.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went for the weekend of February 15-18. I was a little skeptical at first because I had never heard of the hotel and because the price i got it for was ridiculously affordable. When the taxi puled up to the hotel from the airport. I was very surprised to what i saw. The hotel was outstanding. It must have been the month of February that nobody wants to travel to DC that we got it for such a good price. The employees of the hotel were extremely helpful and genuinely nice. We wanted a room with two beds as appose to one but the hotel was extremely packed so they could not accomodate it for us. Other than that I have absolutely no complaints. The hotel was clean, comfortable, great distance to any where you want to go walking distance. The lobby was very modern and the restaurant in the hotel had a fantastic manager and bartender! I would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone!

Oh and dont let me forget the morning and afternoon happy hour. coffee,tea,hot chocolate in the AM and Wine & beer in the evening. Can't beat that! :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mtrig616
Hi mtrig626,

Thank you so much for your review!

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Great Value for Price paid.

See you soon,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I spent the weekend here for my good friend's birthday. I hadn't been back to DC in almost a year, and could not have been happier with our stay! When we arrived for check in, we asked if there was any possibility to upgrade to a suite since there were four of us in the room and we were expecting guests at night before birthday celebrations. The staff happily accommodated, and even provided my friend with a bottle of wine as a birthday gift. The hotel was beautiful, and the suite was very clean and spacious.We got dinner at the hotel sushi bar Zentan, where we got a private booth free of charge and the management came over to greet us. The food and service were outstandign! We also enjoyed the hotel's nightly free happy hour from 5-6. Close walk to Dupont bars or DC sightseeing (White House, National Mall, etc.) Can't recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: Ask for Mark on staff! Incredibly friendly and accomodating.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MRose724
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Hi MRose724,

Thanks for your review.

What an awesome birthday weekend! Upgrade and wine on arrival, hard to beat that winning combination. I think Zentan is pretty stellar myself, glad you agree!

Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed on a weekend that was busy busy busy for the hotel, yet from the doorman to the desk clerk, we were welcomed as though we were their most important guests. The room was stunning-- ultramodern yet felt warm. And quiet despite the bustling area.
The "living room", as they call the lobby, is intimate with a very modern aesthetic. They have a free happy hour, with decent wine, hot toddies (the night we stayed) and offered complementary, and really marvelous sushi! It's well located-- near the convention center, the "hip" 14th st corridor, and a 15 minute walk to the Mall Museums.

2 Thank WHFT
Hi WHFT,

Thank you so much for your review!

I believe a Hotel or any business must shine, when at their business peak. I am so pleased that you experienced this during your stay.

Come back soon!