“Great walkable location”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband booked 2-night stay for my birthday and we had a great experience. He found a deal on the room and paid about $109/night. Our room was on the 5th floor and we had an interesting view out our window. The hotel is modern in decor and clean. The shower in our room was an enclosed nautilus shape which entertained us.

The hotel is a short walk from the metro station so getting around the city is incredibly easy. We walked to the 9:30 Club and it was just a little over a mile away through an interesting neighborhood.

They have an evening wine & beer mixer and didn't appear to stick to the usual 2 drink maximum. The lobby was full of people so get there a little early if you'd like a seat.

Parking at the hotel was a bit expensive. We were traveling from just 2 hours south of dc so we parked at the metro station and left the car there over the weekend. Officially, you're not supposed to do that but nothing bad happened.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Hello oriahlee,

Thank you so much for your review.

You booked a great deal at our Hotel! Great to hear that you took full advantage of our Evening Manager's Hosted Wine Reception. I did want to respond to the comment about Parking Rates. We set our parking prices based on the immediate area and our competitve Hotels. I do understand however, parking can be very pricey in a downtown location.

Hope you will still return,

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Donovan House is another very good, but not great, Kimpton hotel. Some of the best features are standard amenities at any Kimpton – pet-friendly, daily wine hour, nicely appointed rooms – while the weaknesses were unique to this property. Bottom line – we’d stay here again but it wouldn’t be our first choice.

My wife and I enjoyed a two-night staycation at the Donovan House with our two dogs over a holiday weekend. We live in Northern Virginia and wanted to travel but ended up just "getting away" to DC. We selected the Donovan House because it was a newer property and we could bring our dogs.

Our room was a premier suite with a “separate” living area. Even in a loft-style room like this one, separate, to us, means the space is at least defined by some piece of furniture or wall, not just an area rug. This shouldn’t have surprised us from the picture online, but the fact there was only one chair, and not the two shown online, in this living area did. The whole point of a suite is to have somewhere to sit other than the bed. The lack of sufficient furniture meant exactly that. Had we booked a standard room, we wouldn’t have had the same level of disappointment.

That major deficiency aside, we liked the room a great deal. We enjoyed the contemporary design and our room on the 10th floor had great views of Thomas Circle. There are differing opinions on the “cocoon” shower – personally, we enjoyed it. It isn’t “see-through,” but one’s silhouette is visible to the rest of the room through the translucent material. With that in mind, the rooms are better suited to couples and not families.

The location is what it is. Thomas Circle has evolved a great deal over the past decade or so and there are many more dining options within walking distance than before. It is, however, an area with many office buildings and can be a little slower paced on weekends.

If the purpose of travel is leisure and sight-seeing, the Hotel Monaco is a better choice. It has quick access to all five Metro lines (within 3 blocks), great museums across the street, a wide selection of restaurants within a 4 or 5 block radius, the Shakespeare Theater around the corner, and a shorter walk to the National Mall.

We would recommend the Donovan House to friends or family with the caveats above and if it met other priorities such as proximity to an event or activity. Otherwise, stay at the Monaco.

Room Tip: Suites on higher floors have great views of Thomas Circle
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Wachs,

Thank you so much for your review!

I really appreciate how much detail you put into your comments. This type of information allows me to provide feedback to my teams and take changes into consideration. Thank you for recommending us and I look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

It's very rare that I have no complaints. We booked with a travelzoo deal that was well worth it. Complimentary valet parking included with the room, free happy hour drinks, and complimentary breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is modern in decor from the cool lobby to the rooms themselves. Conveniently located a few blocks from DuPont Circle, two blocks from the metro, and a 5-10 min walk to the National Mall. Not to mention plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. Great find.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hi bluehen2001,

Thanks so much for your review.

No complaints, only praise! Love it! I'm totally with you on the location. Between 14th Street, DuPont Circle and K Street, you're in the middle of it all.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at the Donovan House for 4 nights while in DC for a conference. The location is right at Thomas Square, with relatively convenience access to the Orange/Blue Metro lines (a bit longer of a walk to access the Red metro line, almost 1 mile walk).

The double room is 2 full size beds, not queen, but relatively spacious for a DC hotel room. The bathroom was extremely modern with the roll-in shower.

While the staff was courteous during my stay, I didn't feel that the Donovan House was quite up to Kimpton standards. I've stayed in many Kimpton properties (and typically love all of them), but had a couple of hiccups at the Donovan House during my stay. First, the coffee situation in the morning is a little confusing if you get down to the lobby after 9:00am. I was told it was fine to grab a cup of coffee in the attached restaurant (Zentan) since the coffee bar in the lobby bar was already taken down at 9:15am, but once inside Zentan, the waiterstaff informed me that hotel guests are not allowed to get coffee unless breakfast was paid with the stay. It was a bit more confusing than necessary, I just needed my caffeine. Also check-in was a bit slow (understaffed?).

Overall, it's still a good value for DC, but given the option, I'd rather stay at one of the other Kimpton properties in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Hi donnaaries,

Thank you so much for your review.

Really appreciate the effort you put into writing a detailed story about your experience. We are working hard to bring the Kimpton Culture alive, after just acquiring management of the property this past year. I will take your notes and use them to train our staff.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

i stayed at Donovan house with a few friends to celebrate my birthday. the front desk staff were welcoming and offered me everything they could to make my birthday celebration great, including complimentary champagne and dessert at the hotel restaurant! they made sure we had what we needed (dinner reservations, taxis, etc.) to enjoy the weekend to the fullest! the room was fabulous, clean, and perfect for a girl's night out. i would definitely come back to Donovan house!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Carolyn K,

Thanks so much for your review.

What an awesome experience! Looks like we really knocked this one out of the park for you. Look forward to your next birthday!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at the Donovan House while on business in DC. The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were modern and creative. The hotel is a bit pretentious, but not overly so. I loved the rooftop area and there are great restaurants near the hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Hi Max P,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with fellow travelers. Wait till the next pool season, we've got a surprise for everyone!

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We paid USD129+7 for a room upgrade and have received a lot for that money in D.C. The room overlooking Thomas Circle was amazing, hip and comfortable. Breakfast was fair and service was very very good! I definitely recommend!

• Stayed: January 2013
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Hi Tchuco,

Thank you so much for your review.

Sounds like somebody got a King Premier for a great deal! They do have the best views in the building.

See you soon,