“Convenient and edgy retro hotel”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This retro-style hotel is conveniently located for those doing business with the US government or multilateral organizations. The rooms are tastefully decorated with low platform beds, excellent pillows and lots of storage space. The bathrooms are definitely the highlight with rain showerheads, lots of towels, nice toiletries, and lots of space (shelves, hooks and a bench) so that your things do not end up in a pile or on the floor.

The hotel has a happy hour from 5-6 with wine and light snacks as well as coffee, tea and hot chocolate available each morning. There is lots of seating in the lobby that lends itself well to meetings. There is also a good range of restaurants in the area ranging from Starbucks to fine dining. Join the reward program for free wi-fi (fast connection with no reception issues) and a mini-bar credit. The staff are very attentive and helpful.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hi art_nouveau_5,

Thanks for your review!

Really appreciated your thoughtful comments. You mentioned plenty of great restaurants in the surrounding area, but don't forget Zentan which is connected to our Hotel. It features awesome New-Asian Cuisine with inspired sushi options too!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great hotel, great rooms, super service all around an excellent choice. The rooms are modern (think James Bond from the late 60's) with a comfortable feeling. It looked like it was straight out of dwell magazine.

Every aspect of the hotel was spot on. My room was spotless when I got in, as if I were the first person to ever stay there. All the amenities were in order, the his and hers robes (the last couple of Kimptons I have stayed in missed this) the right pillows, everything was just in its place. I had dinner in the restaurant down stairs not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. The food and service was outstanding.

The location is great, easy to get anywhere in town, cabs were easy to get, and the neighborhood is very nice. This is my new favorite place in DC. I am here every 6 weeks or so, just sorry it took this long to find this place.

I highly recommend staying here. I will be back for business, but if I lived nearby I would definitely have it on my list for a weekend away. Great job by the staff and crew.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Hi Greg J,

Thanks for completing a your review about your stay.

Wow, what an awesome stay! Thank you for all your feedback. With your visits being every 6 weeks or so, I do hope you will always select the Donovan House. If you need assistance in making your next reservation, please email me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went for a quick weekend getaway. The Donovan House was an excellent choice. The rooms were beautiful (wish I could have brought the tub home with me) and very relaxing. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We were close to just about anything we needed and the restaurant was great. Atmosphere, food and service were excellent. We will definitely be going back and trying other Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TMAus511

Hi Tonya A,

Thanks for your review!

I love the tubs too. So uniquely designed and cozy. Not sure which room type you stayed in, but our King Premiers and all our Suite Categories Feature the tubs.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great experience overall! Very pleased with the room, location, service, etc. And great restaurant adjoining. Would definitely recommend for a weekend getaway. As usual, Kimpton delivers. There are a lot of great Kimpton properties in the DC area. Just added this one to my list.

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi GHall10011,

Thanks for the quick review!

Seems like you enjoyed our Hotel. We're a keeper for sure!

See you soon,

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spacious modern room with fantastic decor and ambience.
My group moved everything about the room.
Staff were amazing although we did come across an employee mark who was quite rude and seemed UN interested.overall wonderful experience and would gladly stay again

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi chuckles89,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you just had a wonderful time. I appreciate you sharing with your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. As a side note, I did personally speak with Mark about this review. While we are unable to determine the specific interaction due to privacy guidelines, I can assure you that Mark is excellent and one of our very best when it comes to guest service. He did personally apologize for appearing disinterested.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

The staff makes this hotel unique, especially Felicia and Jamina. They went out of their way to make our trip special, even surprising my son with a birthday present! Early check-in, late check-out, and free wifi and $10 of minibar goods (sign up to be a Kimpton member for free) add pleasantly to the experience.

Just four blocks from the Metro, we were a very short train ride from everything DC has to offer. If you like the comforts from home, there is a 24-hour CVS across the street, and a Dunkin Donuts and an Au Bon Pain a block or two away. I also saw a sandwich shop and a soup/salad place nearby. The hotel provided a list of real restaurants but they all were expensive and had too fancy food for my family so we ate downtown.

I did not care for the room decor. The bathroom takes up far too much space and has a translucent pod-like shower that shines throughout the room whenever someone turns on the bathroom light. However, the room was clean and housekeeping was excellent. Adding a table would make it much easier for eating and computer use. The floor-to-ceiling window was a nice touch and we had a great view. However, traffic noise was loud even on the sixth floor.

The continental breakfast was filling but could use some more down-to-earth choices and better attention. I would not recommend it when there are more affordable choices so close. I did not try the restaurant for lunch or dinner. The lobby is very Jetson-like, and many guests seemed to enjoy the free coffee in the morning and the happy hour in the afternoon.

Overall, I would definitely go to a Kimpton again but probably not this one because of the shower lighting up the room. I do, however, highly praise the staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank barbsboyBoston

Hello barbsboyBoston,

Thank so much for your detailed review.

I always love the real specific reviews. They help me in providing feedback on where our operation is succeeding and where we could use some tightening up. Was super pleased to see you interacted with both Felicia and Janina. They are pretty awesome. As for a future stay, we do have a limited number of rooms that do not feature the "Nautilus" Shower. I would be happy to help arrange one of those for your next stay.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at this same hotel twice in the summer of 2011 on a business trip and had a wonderful time on both trips! Somehow when I arrived for both visits I had been upgraded to a larger room for what seemed like no reason at all other than it was late and they had one available and decided to give it to me. The staff was the greatest and nicest that I have ever encountered. Between the Concierge (skinny African- American gentleman who was professional, yet friendly in a very cool manner) and the doorman that met me at my car and carried my things, helping with everything along the way (athletic looking young man, I believe he was from North Carolina near where my son lives, and was ex-military, very friendly and professional with the same cool manner as the Concierge), and the very attractive young woman at the front desk, I couldn't have been happier with the service. It made me wonder if they only hired attractive young people who had that (please excuse my use of this term) professional "swagger" attitude.
NOW, to get to my main point- I stayed here again just recently and from beginning to end had nothing but problems. Once I learned that there was a different owner, and was not a Thompson hotel anymore, I thought I had found the problem. Before this visit I was under the impression that Kimpton was a great company and had only heard good things about them, yet here I was, impossibly frustrated with them. First of all, the staff that I had come to trust so much was gone. I didn't see a single one of the people that I had met on my previous visits and I don't blame them for leaving. The room was unkempt and room service was worse. No upgrade (which I can't really expect, just had my hopes up), no help with my bags, dirty room, breakfast was unbearable and the manager seemed to be just fine with the lackadaisical service the staff was providing. Even my face-to-face brief review of my experience during checkout went unnoticed. All I have to say is WHAT HAPPENED??? The only good thing about the change was that you can join a rewards program to save on the ridiculous wi-fi cost. That's it. I don't think I'll be staying there again, it's a shame because I finally had a place away from home that I enjoyed visiting.

Room Tip: Join the rewards program and ask for a handicapped accessible room (if they have plenty available) i...