“Great trip overall”

Ranked #33 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great trip overall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great experience overall! Very pleased with the room, location, service, etc. And great restaurant adjoining. Would definitely recommend for a weekend getaway. As usual, Kimpton delivers. There are a lot of great Kimpton properties in the DC area. Just added this one to my list.

• Stayed January 2013
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Hi GHall10011,

Thanks for the quick review!

Seems like you enjoyed our Hotel. We're a keeper for sure!

See you soon,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spacious modern room with fantastic decor and ambience.
My group moved everything about the room.
Staff were amazing although we did come across an employee mark who was quite rude and seemed UN interested.overall wonderful experience and would gladly stay again

• Stayed January 2013
Hi chuckles89,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you just had a wonderful time. I appreciate you sharing with your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. As a side note, I did personally speak with Mark about this review. While we are unable to determine the specific interaction due to privacy guidelines, I can assure you that Mark is excellent and one of our very best when it comes to guest service. He did personally apologize for appearing disinterested.

Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

The staff makes this hotel unique, especially Felicia and Jamina. They went out of their way to make our trip special, even surprising my son with a birthday present! Early check-in, late check-out, and free wifi and $10 of minibar goods (sign up to be a Kimpton member for free) add pleasantly to the experience.

Just four blocks from the Metro, we were a very short train ride from everything DC has to offer. If you like the comforts from home, there is a 24-hour CVS across the street, and a Dunkin Donuts and an Au Bon Pain a block or two away. I also saw a sandwich shop and a soup/salad place nearby. The hotel provided a list of real restaurants but they all were expensive and had too fancy food for my family so we ate downtown.

I did not care for the room decor. The bathroom takes up far too much space and has a translucent pod-like shower that shines throughout the room whenever someone turns on the bathroom light. However, the room was clean and housekeeping was excellent. Adding a table would make it much easier for eating and computer use. The floor-to-ceiling window was a nice touch and we had a great view. However, traffic noise was loud even on the sixth floor.

The continental breakfast was filling but could use some more down-to-earth choices and better attention. I would not recommend it when there are more affordable choices so close. I did not try the restaurant for lunch or dinner. The lobby is very Jetson-like, and many guests seemed to enjoy the free coffee in the morning and the happy hour in the afternoon.

Overall, I would definitely go to a Kimpton again but probably not this one because of the shower lighting up the room. I do, however, highly praise the staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank barbsboyBoston
Hello barbsboyBoston,

Thank so much for your detailed review.

I always love the real specific reviews. They help me in providing feedback on where our operation is succeeding and where we could use some tightening up. Was super pleased to see you interacted with both Felicia and Janina. They are pretty awesome. As for a future stay, we do have a limited number of rooms that do not feature the "Nautilus" Shower. I would be happy to help arrange one of those for your next stay.

Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at this same hotel twice in the summer of 2011 on a business trip and had a wonderful time on both trips! Somehow when I arrived for both visits I had been upgraded to a larger room for what seemed like no reason at all other than it was late and they had one available and decided to give it to me. The staff was the greatest and nicest that I have ever encountered. Between the Concierge (skinny African- American gentleman who was professional, yet friendly in a very cool manner) and the doorman that met me at my car and carried my things, helping with everything along the way (athletic looking young man, I believe he was from North Carolina near where my son lives, and was ex-military, very friendly and professional with the same cool manner as the Concierge), and the very attractive young woman at the front desk, I couldn't have been happier with the service. It made me wonder if they only hired attractive young people who had that (please excuse my use of this term) professional "swagger" attitude.
NOW, to get to my main point- I stayed here again just recently and from beginning to end had nothing but problems. Once I learned that there was a different owner, and was not a Thompson hotel anymore, I thought I had found the problem. Before this visit I was under the impression that Kimpton was a great company and had only heard good things about them, yet here I was, impossibly frustrated with them. First of all, the staff that I had come to trust so much was gone. I didn't see a single one of the people that I had met on my previous visits and I don't blame them for leaving. The room was unkempt and room service was worse. No upgrade (which I can't really expect, just had my hopes up), no help with my bags, dirty room, breakfast was unbearable and the manager seemed to be just fine with the lackadaisical service the staff was providing. Even my face-to-face brief review of my experience during checkout went unnoticed. All I have to say is WHAT HAPPENED??? The only good thing about the change was that you can join a rewards program to save on the ridiculous wi-fi cost. That's it. I don't think I'll be staying there again, it's a shame because I finally had a place away from home that I enjoyed visiting.

Room Tip: Join the rewards program and ask for a handicapped accessible room (if they have plenty available) i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bryan L
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hi Bryan L,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay.

I always appreciate perspective from guests. You have quite a unique one as your previous stay occurred when the Hotel was under previous management. I can tell how disappointed you were with your stay. In turn, I too am disappointed but hope for an opportunity to make it up to you. When time allows, could you please contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com? I am fully committed to making the experience at our hotel and exceptional one, your feedback would go a long way to helping me achieve that end.

Hope to chat soon,

Caracas, Distrito Federal, Venezuela
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My second Kimpton hotel that I've stayed at. The service was exceptional and perhaps the main reason other than it's pet friendly and they have a funky vibe to them that I would pay the same for a Kimpton as a bigger chain that has perhaps more amenities like a JW Marriott. The unique nature of the hotel is great but really it comes down to service. You already expect nice rooms so what makes the difference is really the service. The staff greets you not just when you walk in but as they see you in the hallways and when you need something they really try to get it to you.

Room Tip: I like the rooms from the 8th floor up with a view to Thomas Circle. I'd also suggest telling th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi Arepa1979,

Thanks for your review!

Appreciate all the nice comments about the Hotel and recognizing our commitment to personalized service. You're "Room Tip" is spot on too! Really anything on the 14th or Mass Ave side of the building has pretty nice views, being that we are right on Thomas Circle.

Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was a few months ago so I forget all the specific details. My wife and I booked a six night stay at this hotel and after the second night, we had to leave.

We booked a King bed and we were told we were given an "upgrade" only to find out we were given two smaller beds. We called to turn down our upgrade and were given our Kind size room. We called to ask for two extra pillows, which never arrived. Our closet door would not work correctly and the lights were extremely dark. The was two toned and appeared to be stained. On the second day, we went to breakfast and was disappointed in that. Again we asked for pillows to be sent up and again we did not get it. We decided it was time to leave this hotel. The location was great, the quality left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi PrinceTristan,

Thanks for your review!

We really appreciate your feedback about your stay. I am sorry that you experienced so many issues during your stay. Kimpton did take over management of the Donovan House in April 2012, so we might have still been working on the transition. Maybe give us another try?

Hope to see you again,

Mount Airy, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We love the uniqueness of Kimpton Hotels and The Donovan House is now one of our favorites. We stayed in September to celebrate my husband's birthday. Enjoying a drink at the ROOFTOP pool while taking in the beautiful view of the city was like a mini vacation!
A huge storm blew in during the late afternoon which we watched from the floor to ceiling windows in our very comfortable suite.
The staff at the Donovan House upgraded our room to a suite and sent birthday brownies and a bottle of wine with a birthday card to our suite because we noted on our reservation the reason for our stay.
Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was delicious!
The staff is top notch!
We highly recommend thus hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Hi Paula and Ed B,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you had quite the stay-cation! I can see that you're local, so hopefully you'll be back soon.

P.S. - Rooftop should be opening up in Early April!