“Budget quality for premium price”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The service and location are good. And the bed was adequate. But this is a lame hotel. I got the top room and was very disappointed overall.

You should expect very low ceilings and construction quality, and spartan rooms furnished with ikea and inspired by the jetsons. The "suite" did not even have bath tub or coffee maker! The stains on the nasty grey carpet did not help my impression of the hotel. I would have overlooked all of this at a budget hotel price point. But this isn't priced like a budget hotel. It's styled and priced as a design boutique.

I would not return and would not recommend this hotel. If I paid less maybe I would have felt otherwise.

I regret my choice to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Hello MikeyNYC80,

Thank you for your review.

I certainly appreciate your feedback, but would hope for an opportunity to speak with you in regards to some of the specific challenges you experienced. Please feel free to email me at your convenience at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.

Hopefully we will be able to connect,

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Hotel Staff are really well trained and helpful..nothing is a problem for them.

Japanese fusion restaurant and bar in the hotel is great - food is especially good.

Rooms are ok, they look better on the photos than in real life, they feel a bit cold and not cosy at all. Also, the showers - whilst they look cool are pretty underpowered.

Good location.

I would stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello there goombie,

Thank you for your comments!

I appreciate the review and agree that Zentan, our adjacent Restaurant, is excellent! Try the Black Cod or Singapore Slaw next time.

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I took advantage of a gift certificate that I received. Very beautiful, luxurious hotel, and very friendly staff. Loved the room. The spiral shower was very unique; I didn't want to get out! lol The bed was very comfy, I slept like a baby! Also this hotel is only a 10-minute walk from the nearest metro, McPherson Square, which is a plus. I also was fortunate to get a room with a beautiful view of Thomas Circle. My only complaint is the parking situation. If you intend on staying here, plan ahead so that you wouldn't have to park here. There is a parking garage, but at $42 overnight, it's a bit pricey. Luckily I had an alternative, so I ended up parking somewhere else where I didn't have to pay and took the metro here. Thank goodness for the metro; it definitely helped. But other than that, I really enjoyed my stay! If I do come again here in the future, I'd like to come when it's warmer so that I can take advantage of the rooftop pool. It looks gorgeous from the pictures.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank KaMaria B

Hi KaMaria B,

Thank you so much for your review!

I appreciated all of your positive comments regarding the Hotel and your experience. To quickly touch on our Overnight Parking Rates, they are set based on rates of our competitors and the immediate area. Hopefully that provided some clarity.

See you soon,

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I always wondered why someone would pay to stay in a hotel in their own city. Well, I finally did for my wife's birthday, and this was the perfect hotel. The bar and lobby lounge offer a perfect groove for a lively and romantic night out. And, the room decor is fun and funky. The staff were all really helpful, including the random maintenance guy who gave us a tour of the rooftop pool (closed for winter) and the city views. We passed on the free evening cocktail pass and chose the free continental breakfast. I was astonished when the waiter said continental breakfast included everything, eggs, bacon, etc. Well done!

1  Thank PhlashDC

Hi PhlashDC,

Thanks for your review!

Wow, sure sounded like an awesome "Staycation" or "Urban Adventure"! Hope you come back again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a perfect weekend getaway place. Helpful staff, very cool rooms and a free cocktail hour make this a very upbeat, happy place to stay for a weekend on the town. They need more housekeeping staff on board because the excellent help is a bit overwhelmed. The hotel was recently renovated and re-done, and it's really a treat to stay here!

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor because the street noise level can be disturbing at night.
2  Thank lynnnaj
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Hello lynnnaj,

Thanks for your review!

I really appreciated all your comments, but my favorite was about our Staff. I will also certainly review the work load our Housekeeping Team is currently operating on.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel was lovely but you have to like "Italian" modern. There is free coffee and tea in the morning, free wine in the late afternoon, and, for Kimpton members, a $10/stay credit to use on the in-room minibar. Service was extremely friendly, courteous and prompt. The complimentary robes and umbrella to use during my stay came in handy. The restaurant in the hotel was excellent but there were also several other excellent restaurants within walking distance. For me, the location was great - 2 blocks to my business location. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hi susanne703,

Thank you so much for your review.

All the positives are very flattering. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in the comments. My favorite being the comments about service being awesome. I hope you get to come back and experience it again in the the near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Got a very nice rate a major website that doesn't show the property name until after you purchase. We stayed two total nights in a queen room. The room was smaller with a bathroom that is designed to use the least amount of room (much the same concept as a cruise ship). We weren't enamored with the shower, the sink, or the lighting. The shower was in the shape of a nautilus and the entrance had a tendency to gather water, thereby causing you to walk through cold water to get to the area where the water sprayed down from the ceiling. The sink was a wide, almost flat-bottomed receptacle that didn't allow for good draining or cleaning (think shaving). The lighting is recessed, so don't count on great lighting of anything.

The staff were very friendly and accomodating. We did not choose to eat at the Asian restaurant that is located in the hotel, but we heard that it is highly regarded. The location was very convenient to all the major attractions and a metro station.

Hello Timothy B,

Thank you so much for completing a review on TripAdvisor.

After reading your comments, I felt compelled to reach out and discuss them more in detail. We pride ourselves on providing an excellent experience, obviously not what you received. Feel free to contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.

I appreciate it,