WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“This place is a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a business meeting in DC and remembered I'd stayed at a Kimpton hotel once before in San Francisco so I chose Donovan House. I came in from the airport, tired and hungry. I needed to get into the room and drop off my stuff and needed to find a place to hit for dinner after I did that.

So I walk into this fun lobby. I can hear music thrumming and there's a little fireplace lit up and people hanging out having drinks. At the reservation desk, there's a guy smiling at me while he waits for me to look his way. When I give him my name, he welcomes me and mentions that they were expecting me and know I'm a member of their loyalty club (hint: join the loyalty club!) He says that they have a very nice room for me and when I ask where I can get some really great sushi, he smiles and tells me that their restaurant right off the lobby has a really good Firecracker roll (you have to try it cause it is yummy.) He is so nice and so warm I thank him and ask for his name - it's Clay.

When I go up and see my room, I feel like maybe they made a mistake. It's a very sexy looking room. I got 2 rooms with a view - and 2 closets, 2 bathrooms, a circular shower, and a free 'raid the minibar' coupon (Clay gave me that in an envelope and I opened it after I got up there.)

I was immediately sorry I wasn't staying longer because it was really a fantastic room!! After I set up my laptop (free internet for loyalty club members), I noticed that the connection was good; it worked fast. Then I headed back downstairs to thank my new bestie, Clay.

Checked out the restaurant and grabbed a place at the bar, which was pretty busy, and ordered my aforesaid Firecracker roll and some very good soup (don't remember anything except it had shrimp in it and was tasty) and chatted with the people in the bar, who were also relaxed and happy they were staying there.

The lighting in the room was really fun - you have to see the lights around the bed area. And the bed! Really nice; slept so well. There's a very nice gym/spa and a business center too. Too bad the weather wasn't warmer - there's a roof bar that's supposed to be great too. All this and you're right by Dupont Circle. This was NOT an expensive room, by DC standards at all.

Kimpton is doing a lot of things right. Employees like Clay, rooms like the one I was lucky enough to score and everything clean and perfect make you feel so comfortable and looked after when you travel. Kimpton - you're getting me again next time!!

Room Tip: I always ask to be away from the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Abe L, Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Hi TheVoice617,

What an awesome review!

So much positive to speak on. Most important to me, your comments about our Concierge, Clay.

Thank you for acknowledging him.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Hotel is in a great location that's convenient and within walking distance to many restaurants, shopping, and area attractions. Parking fee seemed a little high to me, but was average price compared to other parking I saw in the area. It's only about 3 blocks from the subway, so it's very easy to park just outside the city and ride the train in to get a better price on parking. All staff were very friendly, and extremely helpful. Entire hotel was very modern, nicely furnished, and very clean. Did not try the restaurant in the hotel, so can't comment on that. They have free coffee and tea in the morning, but no free breakfast...so if free breakfast is a "perk" you're looking for you'll need to keep looking. I don't usually eat breakfast, so that wasn't a problem for me. The restaurant in the hotel does serve breakfast (not free), and there are plenty of places around the hotel to grab a bite in the morning...so you won't go hungry by any means. Had no problems at all during my stay. Had a great time. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, and would definitely stay there again in the future. VERY enjoyable!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Scot S,

Thanks for your review!

Seems like a great stay. I know, Parking can be a little high in Downtown Metro Locations, but we try and keep it inline with Hotels in our immediate area and rating. Hope you understand, parking can be very limited in DC.

Dallas, Texas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed for three nights, the first night was a Kimpton reward night. It was a little awkward because I had to check back in to ensure my keys were reactivated. Fortunately I didn't have to move rooms.

The King Premier room I stayed in had a nice view of the square. The showers in all the guest rooms are translucent to the room, so be mindful if you are staying with mixed company or are a modest showerer. The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed the modern feel to the room, but the lighting was lacking and the sink, while massive, lacked in counter space. I also wish the tv had an hdmi input, but this seems hit or miss in hotels these days.

The wine reception was good with some passed appetizers and the mod hanging chairs were fun.

I always enjoy my Kimpton experience. Nice location to all the sights and a good view from the rooftop, even though it was technically closed for the season

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Ryan M,

Appreciate the review!

Great comments about your stay. Real awesome. Visit us again when the Rooftop is Open!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

First time at a Kimpton property and from the time I made the reservation to the time I checked out, it was an incredible experience. We have a big 115lb dog and there was absolutely no questions asked about our stay. Outstanding room with a beautiful view. Service and food (lunch and breakfast) were outstanding. Everyone was superb. Special kudos to Kevin (check in), Mark (Check out) and Laura (reservations). We will be back. Oh, our furry friend gives you all a high five too-great walking parks close by with many friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi Peter F,

Bow wow (Thanks for your review!)!

Just finished thanking Kevin and Laura for your stay! Now my time to thank you for witting a review. Hope you come back soon.

Thanks,

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Loved it. So does everyone else which says something about the property. But extraordinarily, I never went to the roof bar in the whole week we were there, and considering Washington was having an Indian summer prior to hurricane sandy I don't know how I missed it! Great hotel, fun atmosphere, good breakfast but for $19++, I do expect a whole muffin not a quarter of one because they ran out of Danish! Very fed up to arrive back Ina Australia to a bunch of extra charges on the 5 rooms booked in my name presumably for mini bar charges when all of the occupants were Kimpton in touch members. It would cost me more in phone calls to get these reversed but its seriously petty after spending more than $10,000 for rooms to hit me up for 50 bucks of cashew nuts. Not impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi SadTravelingOnMyOwn,

Thank you for your review.

I am so happy to see that you had such a great time at our Hotel. I wanted to say sorry about the extra charges, but would be happy to help to get this straightened out. Email me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com so I can get you taken care of.

Let me know,

Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am going to be brief..... I love Donovan House :)

1. Great location (about 10 min walk from the white house)
2. Excellent customer service
3. The buffet for breakfast was delicious, and I was looking every morning to eat a delicious an healthy meal
4. Lovely decor
5. Everybody was very helpful and friendly
6. Nice decor and very comfortable beds and rooms in general.
7. We did not get to use the pool because it was closed for the season :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Love-Paradise208
Abe L, Manager at The Kimpton Donovan, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi Grace A,

Thanks so much for your review!

1. You are awesome.
2. Thanks for being awesome.
3. Let me know when you would like to come back to share your awesomeness.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spent a long weekend in Washington this past October. I got a room at Donovan House after bidding on Priceline. Overall I was quite pleased. It is close to MacPherson Square subway stop, and walkable to the White House and Mall. Very, very clean and excellent sleep quality. Service was very kind and helpful. Across the street is a CVS Pharmacy and close to coffee shops.

This is a relatively new hotel and has a very modern, hip design; not a hotel I would normally select on my own, since I am not the demographic Kimpton is targeting. It has what I refer to as “Austin Powers” interior design, and I kept wanting to say “yeah baby!” in the white enamel elevators and down the deep purple corridors. I had a king room; bed very comfortable and excellent curtains that kept the light out. No alarm clock, though. They expect everyone to have a smartphone, I guess. No hard cover hotel directory either, and I could not find one on the TV. I always look at those when I travel.

The design of the bathroom is very modern—one huge square sink, which to me is like a trough. Funky design, but when you brush your teeth, it takes a while for the sink to drain. The shower design is also adventurous. The wall that separates it from the bedroom area is transparent for watching silhouettes, I suppose. Fabulous good-sized bathrobes are available. No coffee maker in the room. I had a busy weekend ahead of me and did not have time to experience other amenities in the hotel. I did have excellent sleeps each night because of the bed quality, light control and comfort of my room.

Room Tip: Since I found my room on Priceline, they put me on the 10th floor, which was quite comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi SoloSpirit,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review!

I appreciate all your comments, they were groovy. In the future, you can always request a coffee maker during or before your stay, we will have it ready for you. Additionally, all of our rooms have iHomes which do serve as docking stations, but also have functionality for Alarm and Radio Functions.

Hope to see you soon,