“Superb in every way”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was in Washington, D.C. on a business trip. Although I have stayed at other Kimpton properties in the area, I had not stayed at the Donovan House and it was the only one in the group with rooms available at government rates. Although my flight was late in arriving, I was greeted warmly at check-in as warmly as the first customer of the day and my room keys were immediately available. The suite was gorgeous, well-appointed, and had every amenity that a business or pleasure traveler could ever need or desire. The desk space was much larger than provided by most hotel standards and the couches were as comfortable as home. The bedroom had relaxing, yet adequate lighting and the bathroom and shower was the most contemporary that I have ever seen. When I checked out in the morning, the man who checked me out insisted that I stayed in the warm lobby while he hailed a cab for me. Wow! Service with a smile, superb accommodations, and a level of sincere kindness and caring rarely seen in the hotel industry!
Dr. Carol Cunningham
State Medical Director
Ohio Department of Public Safety, Division of EMS

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hi DocMaynard,

Thanks so much for your review!

Seems like you just had an AWESOME stay! While there were so many things to acknowledge, my favorite were your comments about our staff. They really went above and beyond.

Hope to see you soon.

TAXI!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

the hotel was clean, sleek and modern and nicely funky. We had a king suite, which was spacious, but a friend in a regular room complained that it was a tad small or "NYC sized". I did not see his room so this is hearsay. The hotel is not located in a place where you can walk to "everything" - you will need a cab or metro to get to tourist sites, but if you know and can navigate DC, this is not a problem. Perfect for conference and business meetings. Gym was paltry but they have an agreement with a healthclub next door.

Room Tip: get upgraded to a suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hi F S,

Appreciate your review!

Thanks for staying at our Hotel. We offer many Room Category options that will increase the square footage and room exposure. My favorite would be the King Premier, which feature panoramic views of Thomas Circle and greater Northwest DC. We encourage our guests to Workout "Like a Local" by having a partnership in place with Balance Gym, which allows out guests discounted memberships.

Take Care,

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had high hopes for the Donovan House considering it is one of the newest additions to the Kimpton brand. While certain aspects of my stay were great, overall I didn't find the Donovan House to represent the typically fantastic Kimpton experience - a first-time Kimpton guest wouldn't know what they were missing!

First, the good: The staff at the Donovan House was great. I stayed at the Donovan House during Hurricane Sandy, and the staff went out of their way to make sure that guests were comfortable and taken care of. The front desk staff were always pleasant and able to take care of requests quickly. The location is also great; it's just a few blocks to the Metro, a great Whole Foods, and some good restaurants, and a bit longer walk to the Mall and to Dupont Circle. The wine reception was fantastic, and even featured a tasty hurricane drink during the worst of Hurricane Sandy.

The not-so-great: The rooms look far too worn for a hotel so recently renovated. The carpet was coming up, the walls were scuffed and chipped, and fixtures in the bathroom were loose or broken. The lighting in the room is very dark. My room lacked the promised "cocoon shower" that was described when I booked the room - not a big deal, but for this and other reasons the room description on the website didn't match the room I was given. There was also a lingering odor of smoke in my room, but I'm not sure whether that was a holdover from the days when the Donovan had smoking floors, or if it was from neighbors violating the no-smoking policy.

For me, the greatness of Kimpton has always been its ability to do the little things well. It's clear that the staff at the Donovan House are trying their best, but more needs to be done to bring the Donovan House up to the standards of the Kimpton brand. I might try the Donovan again some day, but for now I'll stick with other DC-area Kimpton properties.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard-facing room if you're sensitive to road noise.

Hi Amanda G,

Thanks so much for your review.

Always appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly. Just to clarify, Kimpton took over Management of the Donovan House just this year and we are working on items to be refreshed in the coming year. We are working on upgrading many elements of the Hotel, to include the Room Condition. Also mentioned, was that you might be interested in returning at some point. I would be happy to personally arrange your stay for you. Feel free to email me at Abe.liao@dononvanhousehotel.com.

Cheers,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend. Very clean hotel, modern interior with a cool swanky lobby. Walking distance to most monuments. The hotel bar/restaurant was very modern (Bill and Emilio of the bar good guys, gave us some knowledge of where to go at night). Happy Hour with Kimpton from 5pm-6pm in the Lobby was nice with free wine and beer. Rooms are very modern with platform bed; however not lit so well. They should add more lighting near the closets. Bathroom has a modern cylindar shower that sticks out into the room with frosted glass for privacy. Great street view from most all rooms as well.

Room Tip: Valet parking at the hotel is $42 per day. Plenty of street parking around hotel, just be concscious...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christopher T

Hi Christopher T,

Thanks so much for your review!

So many positives with your stay. Bill and Emilio are pretty awesome, not to mention the food in Zentan is stellar.

Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I generally like Kimpton hotels but this one is over rated and over priced. The room looked like it had been decorated on a cheap budget with poor finishes and an air conditioner outlet that poured cold air directly onto your head whilst sleeping.
The breakfast was also very expensive for what it was, most noticeably stale pastries and a poor selection of cereals in the buffet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hi Bigplatcool,

Thank you for your review.

I wanted to respond and apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. A great experience is what we hope to provide to all our guests. This certainly is not what we achieved with your stay. If you have a moment to discuss, please feel free to contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.

Hope to chat soon,

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I needed somewhere to stay to wait out Hurricane Sandy, and was lucky to find the Donovan House.

The decor is elegant and modern, the service and cleaning were immaculate. The food I had from Zentan, the associated restaurant was delicious, both breakfast and dinner.

Most importantly the staff was amazing to my dog. He's a lab/pitt mix, and most people are scared of him because of his pitt face, even though he's very sweet. Here, he was greeted, given treats, doggy bags, and even the room-cleaning staff joked with me about cleaning around his crate.

They were very accommodating when I had requests about room extensions or anything.

1  Thank JentheCbus

Hello JentheCbus,

Thanks for your review!

Glad we could provide some shelter for your you and your pup during Sandy. Like all Kimpton Hotels, we are 100% Pet Friendly! Hope to see you soon!

Bow Wow,

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My best friend and I decided to take a weekend trip away and we booked this hotel from a very reasonable TRAVELZOO deal! We requested an upgraded room upon check in and to our total delight we were granted it!!!! Mark was so nice and helpful at checkin and also on subsequent days. We were able to walk and cab everywhere in the city. The bed was very comfortable, the bath was divine after a long day of walking and shopping in the city. The robes were such a great treat, and the $10 "Raid the minibar" spy card was adorable for signing up to be a rewards member. The daily happy hour from 5-6p with complimentary wine, local craft beer and/or coffee/tea/water was a nice touch. They offered newspapers every morning as well which was helpful because we were on the brink of the Hurricane Sandy weekend. We took advantage of the "Forgot your items" menu in the bathroom and requested the curling iron to get extra-glam one night and we found out the next day that they had actually given out all of the curling irons and had gone out and purchased a brand new one for us ---without us even realizing it! Now that is service. I have worked at hotels before and everyone at this hotel had the right attitude. The one downfall for my bestie and I was that we tried to order a movie after we got back one night and it would not play---all scrambled picture. The front desk staff took it off the bill no problem. ****THE CVS right across the street was so convenient too. DEFINITELY would recommend staying here! PS- the rooftop bar was a very chic place to have a drink and the bartender was a sweetheart too. Prices were a little high but we expected that. We didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant, but they did give out some samples at the complimentary happy hour and they were delicious.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade if possible
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank livelaughlove42

Hello livelaughlove42,

Thanks for your review!

So happy you had an awesome time with the ladies! Our Hotel is PERFECT for urban getaways. Also thank you for recognizing Mark, he is one of our very best.

Cheers,