“Great Room and Great Service”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel. The front desk staff were excellent. We were able to enjoy the rooftop pool and the bartender was fabulous! We stayed there with a group of friends to enjoy an evening out in D.C. I loved the look of the hotel and location. It is definitely not your typical hotel. It is very retro! We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello MNT0429,

Thanks so much for your review!

Glad you got a chance to experience our rooftop. Great views, pool and awesome bar service is what you get. I will pass along a good work to the team at the Front Desk as well.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My daughters and I spent 3 nights at the Donovan and were generally very pleased with the location, cleanliness and service. It was close to everything we wanted to see along the National Mall, including the monuments, the White House and the Smithsonian; a straight 10 minute walk down 14 th Avenue. A metro stop was also on this street....fabulous system!
It was my birthday during our stay and the Donovan went above and beyond leaving a cheese and fruit plate and a bottle of wine in my room to celebrate. They addressed me by name even when I wasn't at the desk and I felt like they really value their patrons.
The only thing I didn't love was the decor and that is simply because I usually stay in very traditional hotels and this was a retro design. The padded walls in the hotel room left me feeling a bit claustrophobic but my girls loved it. Parking was also a bit expensive at $42 a night with in/out privileges. We didn't have any need for the car though because we were so close to everything.
Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Hi Jacquie V,

Thanks so much for your review!

What an awesome stay?!? Looks like we really took care of you for your birthday and the Hotel was to your liking. I agree, we are conveniently located to the National Mall, 14th Street Corridor and other neighborhoods like U Street and Dupont Circle. Our design does to lean towards a Chic Modern Style, sorry it wasn't your ideal setup.

Hope you return next year!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Really funky lobby and very nice staff. Bathroom in the room are also very unique. Stayed at the hotel on a sold out nice due to storms and unfortunately the hotel was very loud. Would stay again to get a better feel for what it is really like.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Hi vamel,

Thanks for posting about your stay at Donovan House!

If you were referring to the derecho at the June, it was kind of crazy! The Hotel and many neighboring locations all sold out. While busy, I'm glad you still encountered our very nice staff. When you're ready to come back, shoot me an email.

Talk soon,

Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com

Reviewed September 2, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel it was crushed with unruly check-in guests. The front desk staff was doing an excellent job dealing with their discontent. No matter what they offered it was unacceptable. We had the good fortune to be greeted by Kevin Powers at the front desk. His pleasant demeanor was not deterred by the haters!!! He took care of us, and dispelled the negative attitude.. Kevin unexpectedly gave us drink coupons and upgraded our room the next night!!! Daysi, Janina, and Kevin offered above and beyond service!!!! They sent us bottles of wine and just made sure our stay was exceptional. Even after we arrived at our room, they made sure that our experience was nothing but the best. Everyone from the front desk concierge to the people working at the pool were wonderful to our party. Overall, even though the hotel was wonderful, what really made our trip was the above-and-beyond dedication to service that everyone in the hotel displayed. We loved it and would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Do your best!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank djseguy

Hi djseguy,

Appreciate the review about your stay!

Thank goodness you encountered Kevin and not those unruly guests first! In addition to Kevin, it appears as if you encountered many people on our team that displayed genuine care about your stay. That's how we roll and shake those haters off!

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a business trip and the rooms were generally modern and tidy. Wifi was available throughout the hotel which was great. Staff were friendly and service was exceptional. There is te added bonus of a rooftop pool/ bar area. It's in a good location close to restaurants an the whitehouse for sightseeing all in walking distance.
The only negative comment I have was around the housekeeping staff did not top up any of soaps and mini bar in my entire stay of 4 days which I thought was unusual. Otherwise very happy with the hotel overall

• Stayed: July 2012

Hello Melbournepsych,

Thanks for your review!

Overall, I am pleased with your stay but did want to apologize with the lapse in Housekeeping Service. Your comments have been passed along to our Director of Housekeeping, who will in turn use it to train our team for future service opportunities. I do hope you will return to experience it.

Take care in Melbourne,

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the Donovan House August 13-15 as part of my honeymoon in the US with my wife. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel because of the very friendly staff, especially Darryl at the reception. We got to the hotel late at night after our bus was delayed from Philadelphia and there was a problem with our booking...one of the men at the reception gave us a room with two beds and we only needed one.

We came back to the reception and asked to switch rooms, which Darryl did for us with no hesitation. We were really hungry and tired from the trip, so he gave some recommendations for restaurants in the area and offered to move our stuff to our new room for us! When we got back to the new room, which had a very nice view "panoramique" of the roundabout and the church across the street, there was a very nice bottle of white wine and a hand written card from Darryl in French congratulating us on our marriage! WOW! We have never experienced such nice service anywhere in the world!

This is a great hotel and easy walking distance to all of the major sites of the city. I am not sure if we will ever be back in Washington but I will recommend this hotel to all my friends. I wish we could take Monsieur Darryl back to France with us so he can show us how to give very good and friendly American service! Merci Darryl!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the roundabount and church. It is very nice and well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Equipe_Bleu_France

Bonjour Equipe_Bleu_France,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor!

Darryl certainly did a number to make your experience, exceptional. While impressed, I do have to say that I am not surprised. Stories like yours are heard often as all of our staff try to go above and beyond for our guests.

Unfortunately, Monsieur Darryl must stay with us. =)

Until next time,

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Me and my boyfriend recently stayed at the Donovan house and could not have been happier. The hotel is very modern and clean. The rooftop pool is great, since you can enjoy the view and get a drink without having to go far. The Hotel is pure class, but what made out trip even better was the wonderful hotel staff. Jeanine and Janina were so helpful and Nice. The staff trully took our stay over the top. Thanks Guys!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Flora S,

Thanks for your AMAZING review!

I really appreciated all the comments about your stay. Janina and Jeanine are pretty awesome, so thank you for recognizing them. The people working inside a Hotel make all the difference, thanks for recognizing because I sure do.

Cheers,