“Very nice, just as advertised!”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #29 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Warrenton, Virginia
“Very nice, just as advertised!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We spent three nights, the staff was extremely nice and courteous. Our room was perfect, quaint and quiet! The roof top pool and bar were awesome too!

The $42 a night parking is a little steep but not much you can do about that, just budget it. We just walk or take a taxi wherever we go anyway which you may have to pay to park anyway?

Overall we just loved the location, decor and everything about our stay. Will come again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray L
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Hi Ray L,

Very nice review indeed!

Thanks for your note about the staff. They always treat our guests so well. I agree, the Rooftop Pool is great and when it turns into a Bar in the evening hours, it's a nice change of scenery. Your question about parking: the $42 Valet Rate does include free in and out service, so you can come and go as you please.

Cheers,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My first stay at a Kimpton property was on a Friday, for a business trip in DC. I booked a room at Donovan House with 2 criteria in mind: location, and value. The location of the hotel was convenient, as it was near the National Mall and government offices but also within 1 mile of several other points of interest. I based value on the overall perks-to-cost ratio. It's not scientific, but based on the feeling of, "did I get a good deal?"
The first impressiom of the services was upon entering the parking garage. Valet parking is available on-location, but for the steep price of $42/day. They may have mentioned that detail on the website, but I still think the Kimpton management could negotiate a better contract or reduce the overhead fee. Parking for one night added an extra 25% to my overall cost. The lobby is crisp and decorated in modern style/color scheme with unique lucite bubble chairs. The decor didn't have much of an effect on my mood, since the mod furniture and walls were predominately upholstered in aubergine and burgundy shades of vinyl. I guess it just wasn't my taste, though the eye catching details could be perceived as young and fresh.
Upon check-in at 4:45 pm, the friendly receptionist informed me that my room was not ready due to cleaning (?!) but that I could be upgraded to a suite. Softening the blow was the fact that I had arrived just before wine hour, which, according to my research is a standard Kimpton perk. Sweet. After pushing my way past a bellhop carriage stacked with supply boxes, I waited for the elevator in the narrow corridor. On the 12th floor, my spacious suite greeted me with the stale smell of cigarette smoke-as though it had formerly been a smoking room (though Kimpton properties are smoke-free as the room placard informed me, this hotel recently changed management). The area rug that overlayed the carpeting was askew. This wasnt necessarily a sign of uncleanliness but probably that nobody checked the room before my arrival. The rest of the room was exceptional: crisp Sferra linens on the bed and duvet, a clean bathroom with a large soaking tub and designer shower that were consistent with the other elements. After a quiet and comfortable night's rest, I took advantage of the complimentary coffee bar in the lobby. The brew was exceptional-was encouraged to take a second cup to-go, as well as a bottle of water. Detail-oriented hospitality was top-notch, and I have no doubt that the staff would go out of their way to assist any guest. Due to time constraints, I wasn't able to enjoy the rooftop pool and bar that are features of the property. Overall rating: 8/10. Be sure to check AAA and government rates if you qualify.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank C-tourism
Hello C-tourism,

Thanks for your review!

I always enjoy detailed and thoughtful reviews about our Hotel. I truly appreciate them. Seemed like you enjoyed many of the Amenities and Programs that makes a Kimpton Hotel. I am sorry that your room was delayed upon arrival. I also wanted to shed a little more light on our Valet Parking Rates. When setting the Rates, we take a look at our Local Area and competitively price our rates.

Hopefully well have you stay again,

Sarpsborg, Norway
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is within walking distance to most attractions in DC (five minutes to the Mall and the White House), and that was the reason why we came back for a second visit. Still, I think we will look for another hotel next time we visit the capital, simply because this was the second time we got a room facing the back, and there is a really noisy fan of some sort back there, that made it hard to sleep... In other words, the soundproofing is not good (understatement).

The rooms are contemporary in style, and the round showers is a fun detail, but the overall size of the room is another reason why we would think twice about coming back here. We had two bags each, and had to climb over our luggage.... Upon arrival, the reception clerk couldn't find our reservation in their system, but fortunately they had available rooms. That could be the reason for our small room, it might have been the last one he had (but I find that a bit strange, since we had another room last time we were there, and that one was even smaller...).

The hotel does not serve breakfast (except an expensive in-room service), but there are several places serving both breakfast and lunch just steps away from the entrance. There's also a couple of CVS's close bye.

Yet another reason why we would look for another hotel next time, is the parking. You have to use the valet, and they are expensive. Several of the other hotels down the street offer cheaper valet than the Donovan House, and it will be interesting to see if they are cheaper in general the next time we travel to DC.

We made our reservation through a travel website, and will make sure not to use that one again. The stay was booked and payed for in September of 2011, despite that, it wasn't in the hotel's system. Since I was told by the reception three (!!) times that they would take care of getting hold of the payment from the website, I thought everything was fine. Untill about a week after we left, when I discovered the hotel had charged my card for the two nights we stayed there (without even getting my signature and verification). It all resulted in several phone calls, and extra stress during our holiday, and we got back the money they had withdrawn after a lot of unnecessary discussions. With the exception of the first guy we talked to upon arrival, who was really nice and helpful, the rest of the staff didn't seem to know what customerservice is...

But hey, if you're travelling light, do not have a car, do not need a lot of help from the hotel staff and like the contemporary style of the rooms; go for it! But I would not pay more than $150 pr night, to get best value for my money.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the back, due to the noisy fan.... (we were on the 12th floor, and was still anno...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank InaMP
Hi InaMP,

Thanks for your insightful review!

I wanted to express how much I appreciated the detail you compiled in your review. With that said, I am disappointed that your second stay was still not to your liking. As you mentioned in your review, at times booking through a third party website is detrimental to a guest stay. Primary reason is that we are unable to meet key preferences that can really blow an experience out of the water. Things like room location and size can be elaborated on in a reservation made directly with our reservations line. One minor note I did want to speak to, we do offer Breakfast everyday in the Hotel.

If you are interested to speak further, please feel free to contact me personally by calling 202-521-1402 or email me at abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com. Hopefully I can be of service to you in the near future.

Many Thanks,

Glasgow
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in May. It was suitable if you did'nt need to spend much time in the hotel . Lobby areas area are small and crowded. Rooms modern (too modern and too minimalitst for me), The lift smallish,the pool and bar area small but with good views and in late spring providede a relief from the humd air in Washington.Overall the locaation was reasonable and I thought it provided reasonable value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael S
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hi Milsam,

Thank you for your review!

Seems like overall you had a good stay, but unfortunately the boutique design and size of our property may not have been to your liking. Kind of a bummer, but I understand people have very individual tastes. I do encourage you to check out some of our other Kimpton Hotels in DC. With so many options, I am sure you will find your perfect fit.

Safe Travels,

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I had an amazing stay at Donovan House last week. They upgraded us to a room with a beautiful view of Thomas Circle as part of the upgrade service that was so easy to do via email. Everyone at the hotel was so nice. I had called and spoken to John on the phone because of some billing confusion, and he made sure everything was okay. We saw him when we came in, and again, he was very nice and told us everything was good to go. Our room was great. The shower is kind of strange, but fun. We ate at the restaurant and service there was great as was the food. The pool on the roof is beautiful and the guy who was working up there was so nice and was on top of keeping everything together and making sure we all had towels. The bar at night up there was amazing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great location, great service, amazing extras.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrades if they email you! So worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnnaSW82
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Hi AnnaSW82,

Thanks so much for writing your review!

I agree! The Thomas Circle facing rooms are particularly awesome. For reference, these are the King Premier Rooms and Executive Suites! There are numerous Executive Rooms that have this feature, so just request it! Also, John at our Front Desk is pretty awesome.

Looking forward to your next stay,

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at the Donovan House on July 10, and this is a great new property for Kimpton Hotels. I believe I have stayed in 15 different Kimpton properties, and I LOVE the Donovan. I stayed there last summer prior to Kimpton making this addition, and I really do feel there is a difference in customer service. I want to thank Darryl at the front desk who had no idea it was my birthday, but somehow his extraordinary customer service made me feel like he knew!!! He upgraded my room, and I just cannot say enough kind words about him. He was knowledgable, efficient and just lovely to deal with -- what a nice way to arrive in a new city. The rootop pool is a great way to spend an afternoon, and I was having so much fun I changed my dinner reservation and just stayed at Zentan. The pepper calamari was also terrific. The rooms were clean and really interesting design. They were well appointed, and they had plenty of shelf space, which I really enjoy in a hotel room. Thank you Donovan -- I will be back in August because you have convinced me this is my new face DC hotel!! Thank you Darryl!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jenni Lee C
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Hello Jenni Lee C,

No, THANK YOU for an amazing review!

Glad you celebrated your birthday with us and Darryl really blew it out of the water. He is one of our very best Guest Service Team Members!

Maybe celebrate your next B-Day at the Donovan House?

Let us know,

Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I went to DC for my birthday in mid-July 2012. The hotel was nice, but the restaurant and staff really made our stay memorable. The bar staff, including Shiloh, Ram and Edwin were amazing! Making awesome cocktails, surprising me with little birthday treats all weekend and providing lots of suggestions to make our trip fun. And the food was spectacular from the singapore slaw to the bowls of noodles, this place is really really worth a trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Kimpton Donovan Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Hi Beth C,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor!

I agree, love Zentan. The Singapore Slaw is one of my favorites, but don't underestimate the Hot and Sour Soup either. Keep a look out for our new Lunch Menu rolling out this week.

Appreciate it again,