“Great Kimpton Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reston, Virginia
“Great Kimpton Service”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have previously stayed at this hotel two times while it was a Thompson hotel. This was my best visit. The room was spacious, mattress was comfortable, and the hotel was clean. We checked out before noon and they let us leave our bags with them and we could keep the car in the garage until 5:00 pm. I love the contemporary design of the room and the huge tub. The one aspect of my visit that really stood out was the frlendly staff. Whether we were in the elevator with staff or asking the front desk something, the service was noticably up-beat and friendly. Kimpton has the best service!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SPKinVA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Colorado
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This modern hotel was very intriguing, from the rooftop pool to the shell shaped showers (you have to look at the room pictures to see what I mean.) This hotel has it all. Of course it had the usual Kimpton amenities which I always enjoy, the wine hour, the free coffee in the morning, free internet, an exercise room, and bathrobes during your stay. In addition the rooms were very clean, and well appointed, with a fairly large bathroom, modern dressers, large screen TV, desk and very comfortable sort of Eames style chair that allowed you to just sink into it. Heaven! The staff, as usual at any Kimpton hotel, were extremely helpful, pleasant and cheery, especially our conference manager Nick Sowle. I missed the wine hour by about five minutes one day but one of the servers kindly went and found me a glass. I was with a conference group and the conference room was very pleasant and in addition the food was great - the muffins and pastries very tasty, not like the usual stale conference type food. And speaking of food, we had lunch at the Zentan which is the Donovan House restaurant and the food there was very fresh and tasty. I would highly recommend the restaurant as well. The reason I gave the Donovan four stars instead of five was really location. While there is some shopping and restaurants in the area, I like the ambience of Dupont Circle/Georgetown a bit more, but that's likely just personal preference. All in all, a wonderful stay at a great hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the inner courtyard are quieter but tend to be smaller. The rooms facing Thomas Circle are...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Urbana, MD
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed at the Donovan House Hotel for 2 nights and 3 days. IT WAS AMAZING! I have nothing bad to say about this place. I will say however you definitely want to get to the pool early so you get a chair. The pool is just that amazing that you want to get a chair and stay a few hours. The pictures are exactly what you get. Unlike other hotels this place is true to its pictures. I stayed in the deluxe suite and it was just that...sweet! The wine happy hours is aswesome as well.

If you like Kimpton chain hotels you will not be let down!

I will be returning to this hotel for sure! : )

~Michelle~

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My friend and I surprised our best friend with a 2 night stay bachlorette party weekend and stayed at the Donovan. Even with the worst storm of the year threatening the DC area and closing the rooftop pool for the morning (one of the major reasons we choose to stay at the hotel) it surpassed our expectations and was exactly what "the bride" had hoped for. The suite was amazing, rooftop pool relaxing, happy hour super fun, and the food at the restaurant was amazing. Love this hotel and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Great view from the 10th floor suites!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Like 1 million other people in the DC area, I lost my power Friday night. My dog and I toughed it out but Sunday, I could no longer take it. I called the Kimpton reservations line. The gentleman that assisted was extremely kind and helpful and I was able to secure a room at the pet friendly Donovan House for two nights. It was such a relief to have somewhere cool to stay. The hotel was clean, the room was clean and comfortable, the staff members were very nice and accommodating, and I love the evening happy hour. Great sangria! Thank you so much for helping us out Kimpton/Donovan House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Leslie B
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is good. Some small nice touches like free wine in the reception at certain times and a pretty nice rooftop pool. Rooms are nice with funky details. The service is so-so but that the normal thing on these types of hotels. Overall, not an exceptional experience but I would consider to stay again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The Donovan House is a very hip, cool hotel. The design, decor, rooms are all very well done. The only caveat is that the bathroom fixtures need maintenance as they are loose and the shower hnadle came off. The staff at the front desk are very friendly and attentive and the problem was fixed quickly.

Check out the rooftop pool/bar at night. A short walk from the convention center, memorials, restaurants and more. My favorite DC hotel.

• Stayed June 2012