“another funky kimpton stay”

Kimpton Donovan Hotel
Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel is in a great location for walking around DC. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival and were pleasantly surprised at the room- really big - very funky- kids thought it looked futuristic. We like kimptons because of the extras- free happy hour- free-raid the mini bar (if you are a kimpton member) and a real nice coffee and tea service in the am. My only complaint with this kimpton - and this is minor without kids, is the roof top pool is tiny, when you are up there you can see the big pool across the street and it is WAY better looking- (Washington plaza). Also, not sure that the staff was helpful in finding a restaurant for our group of 4 adults and 4 kids- they suggested Bobby Van's steak house- great if your budget is allows- over $150 for family of 4.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am a big Kimpton fan, but the Donovan House just fell a bit short of my expectations. Perhaps it is because they are still in the startup phase, but that hard-to-define Kimpton experience was missing. The staff will need to step it up a bit or they risk being just be another trying-to-be-hip urban hotel. But I still had a very nice stay at D.H.

In a more concrete vein... you should know that if you need a room with double beds you will be in a "04" or "05" room both of which couldn't be closer to the elevators unless they were inside of them. Although D.H. was booked full when I stayed I was lucky that the people on my floor were all very quiet so it wasn't a problem - but generally I avoid being close to elevators. I don't know how room-to-room noise is for the same reason; my neighbors were all very quiet. There was a connecting door in my room, which I hate - but again I lucked out with considerate neighbors. My double room was very spacious by D.C. standards with luxuriously comfortable beds - although I didn't care for the satiny type sheets. The room was clean with free internet (hooray!!!) and an iPhone charger. My 9 year old granddaughter delighted in the "super cool" decor, especially the uber modern bathroom with a shower shaped like a translucent snail shell. My room faced the street but the windows did a good job of blocking out traffic noise so I didn't find it too loud like another reviewer.

Lastly, if you are a water baby, this is the place to stay! There is a small, but sparkling clean rooftop pool with great views of the city and nicely attended chaises. This is a rare treat in the city. I will stay at Donovan House again and will be packing my high Kimpton expectations and my swimsuit :-)

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Well appointed room with great view of Thomas Circle. Very convenient location and pleasant, helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I arrived on a Saturday night and they had overbooked the hotel, you can’t help feeling totally disappointed nevertheless I appreciated the staff and manager's effort to fix the problem and sincere apologies as well as the free upgrade and apology letter. Apart from that incident the rest of my stay was perfect loved my room, the style and amenities (who doesn’t) the great service and breakfast location and price. I have heard that some people complain about the party crown on the weekends - I didn’t mind at all as I couldn’t hear anything from my room, actually I had a couple of drinks at the roof garden and loved the DJ, interesting crowd too. Overall good value for money , pleasant stay , superior service.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank helkeller
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed here for business while in D.C. for a few days. The room was clean, and the hotel facilities were nice. They had a small pool on the roof and a roof top bar. The hotel is close enough to everything, and the staff were very pleasant. Definetly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ajaree
Reviewed May 25, 2012

from check-in to check out the service was superior. including the hotel Restruant,the rooftop bar the door barman all we're warm and welcoming...Keyarna, Daysi, check in Jeanine, Louseny, Restruant , Eric ?( who started at 4:00 full arm tattoo with Koi on his right arm. ) Camille,
Cherise.... the attentive service of the entire staff of this hotel is nothing less than amazing.... we did feel welcomed and pampered.
The hotel needs a bit of tender love and care , it is looking a bit tired.
the room was smoke free....
the carpets were clean.
the beds were comfortable.

THE STAFF IS 5 STAR!
we would stay again.
great location for walking to many great local eats...

Room Tip: we stayed in 610 facing the rotary no noise and great view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The Kimpton Hotel was the wedding home-base for our family, and we cannot say enough good things about the property and it's excellent staff. Everyone from Darryl and Daisey at the front desk, to Chris at the restaurant, and the hotel assistant general manager took great care of us and made sure that all our needs were met. We took advantage of the rooftop pool and enjoyed the great views. The lobby happy hour was a very pleasant treat, it gave an opportunity for everyone to catch up on the daily activities and make plans for the evening. Thank you Donovan House and Kimpton Hotels for another job well done.