“had high hopes, then it went down”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue
Ranked #117 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 23, 2014

good hotel. clean and friendly. a hot breakfast that doesn't stay stocked to well. had waffle maker, but no mix minutes after start up went through priceline. only have a morning and evening shuttle-starts at 6p from union station. I guess business people come late. took a cab, was asked and told them I did not drive. next morning, I had a bill for 15 dollars under my door. I went through priceline, so I wouldn't have checked out to get a receipt. luckily I looked at the paper so I could get it taken off. THEY SAID THEY AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE, RIPOFF EVERYBODY AND YOU HAVE TO GET THEM TO TAKE IT OFF. fancy printer for the computer, but didn't print. the other computer wasn't online. told the desk people and their attitude was oh well. there is a 7- and fast fod restaurants nearby

Room Tip: make sure you get the automatic 15 dollar parking taken off if you don't drive. got it through p...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Sarah L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Steven; Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate the compliments for the cleanliness of the guest room, and friendly staff.

We apologize that we did not provide you with an exceptional guest experience. We need to work with the breakfast attendants and assist them better to keep up with the demands of breakfast on busier days. You also mentioned the parking, because 3rd party sites charge for room and tax only, the parking will not be included there but charged separately by the hotel. We definitely should have caught that error upon arrival as you mentioned you were not driving.

We will continue to improve upon our services to ensure every guest is 100% satisfied with their stay.

Thank you again for your business, we do hope you consider a future stay with us.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington DC/New York Ave

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We got this hotel thru priceline and for the price it was a rather good hotel. The room was of good condition and the bathroom was clean and usable, apart from the door which didn't close. One down side is the parking that you have to pay which is $15 for the night. If you don't want to leave the hotel when you get there many places deliver and the reception staff are very helpful in this. We had the free breakfast the next day and if you leave it late then some things don't seem to be replenished. We shared the dining area with a huge amount of vmr staff who to some degree over run the dining area then at one point there was an argument that broke out between staff. The location if this hotel is great and the free transfers into the city would of been good but you have to get in there quick to book on to them, we missed out so ended up driving into DC there is plenty of parking in the city and we managed to park in there for $15.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear MJ; Thank you for the kind review and feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to see that you found the guest room to be clean and comfortable and the hotel a good fit for your travel needs and appreciate the compliments for the staff. We do apologize that our breakfast attendant was not faster at replenishing the items. We're working on that with the staff to expedite the service for our guests.

Because there are not enough parking spaces for the amount of cars in the city, a majority of hotels and establishments are required charge a fee and tax, we pride ourselves on having the lowest fees but appreciate it still adds more to the guests stay.

Thank you again for being our guests. We are pleased that overall you had a pleasant experience and hope you welcome you back the next time you are in DC.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington DC/ New York Ave

Reviewed May 30, 2014

On the edge of DC but close enough. You need to drive to get supper but everything is not far. Breakfast is ample to start your day. We opted to take a cab to get get to the national mall and felt it was worth it versus paying high lot prices or even finding parking. The fare was about 18 bucks. The hotel was easy to get to and getting out of DC wad easy from here as well. They do have a parking fee, however we felt safe at this hotel.

Room Tip: Upper levels ate quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jimmy D
Sarah L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Jimmy; Thank you for your review and for being our guests at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington DC Northeast. We appreciate your feedback on the hotel, location and general area. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay.

You are right parking can be hassle in the city, we are glad you found taking cabs was the cost effective way to go. We do offer a complimentary shuttle to and from Union Station- Metro (on a limited schedule) which is a another great way to get around town.

Thank you again for being our guests, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Fairfield Inn & Suites
Washington DC Northeast

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I had a great stay here--very friendly staff, quick check-in and check-out, easy shuttle to and from the capitol. If you are looking for a place right smack in the middle of town, this isn't it, but it's a good second-place--the shuttle takes, oh 5 minutes, if that?

The room itself was clean, towels and toiletries replaced daily. But one of the best things was the breakfast: free sausage, waffles, yogurt, juice, eggs. It was all very good for a free hotel breakfast.

There was only one snafu and it probably wasn't the hotel's fault--the fire alarm went off at 5am one morning and we all filed out into the cold waiting for the fire truck. We got back in after about a half hour, but didn't get any explanation from the front desk the next day on what happened.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Sarah L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Sandi; We greatly appreciate the 5 star review and kind words for our staff and services. Thank you for the compliments for the hotel, staff and the new, improved hot breakfast! So glad you had enjoyed that and had a lovely time as our guests.

We would like to apologize to all our guests for the false alarm and temporary inconvenience of being awoken at such an early hour. There is never the right time to have to evacuate for a fire alarm. But we take guest safety very seriously and worked quickly to ensure all guests were as comfortable as possible considering the situation.

Thank you again for selecting the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington DC/New York Ave as your place to stay while in DC. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington DC NE

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Average Fairfield Inn and Suites. I've stayed in better ones. It was clean and staff was friendly. Very diverse clientele. The location was easy to get to and find. But hotel location was horrible for sight seeing in that you are dependent on a limited time schedule and seat availability shuttle service. Taxi to Union Station was $20-$25, and hotel is in a creepy and hectic neighborhood. Extremely limited parking. Next time I will pay the price to stay at a hotel right in the heart of the Smithsonian vicinity so I am not dependent on a $25 one-way taxi to catch a train, or a limited shuttle which immensely interferes with sight seeing peace of mind.

Cons:
1. Parking is EXTREMELY limited. If you don't get a spot I don't know where you would park, as the neighborhood was creepy and not the best (I was thankful that my car was not broken into). 2. Limited shuttle hours and seat availability. Also THE SHUTTLE BUS THAT DROPS YOU OFF MAY BY ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LOOKING THAN THE ONE THAT PICKS YOU UP! You are not told about this. The shuttles are unmarked or may say Holiday Inn on a piece of paper taped on the windshield?. Very confusing. I almost missed that last one back from Union Station to the hotel one night! The purpose of this trip was to sight see the Smithsonian museums. I arrived mid-afternoon and was informed there was no shuttle to the train station for several hours. The museums close at 5. A taxi to the train station was $20-$25. I am not sure if the hotel website mentions the limited shuttle or not. This is the only Fairfield Inn and Suites I ever stayed at where you could not get a shuttle on-demand.
3. Creepy Neighborhood at a very busy intersection.
4. There is NOTHING within a 20 minute drive radius if you are looking for a relatively nice place to eat. I never have had this problem in my travels. There are lots of mediocre run in and out of restaurants. I had to resort to Chinese Food delivery to my room.
5. The 2 complimentary computers in the lobby were occupied70% of the time by various policeman or people in some sort of uniform.
6. The front desk staff are so accommodating, that if you are in line to be checked in, you could have a long wait. I waited more than 15 minutes for one person ahead of me. The front desk staff needs to be 2 at all times. Sometimes there were 2 and sometimes not. Each time I happened to walk up, I always had to wait, day or night.
7. All the public areas (thank God it wasn't in our room) had a weird, subtle, body odor type smell. The lobby and hallways.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MarMarm
kyeates, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback .
I truly understand your perception of the area,The Hotel is located in a more industrial area right off highway 50, even though it is very convienient when leaving or entering the city, understandably we are not within walking distance of major attractions and sites. Because of this we do provide the complimentary shuttle service to the metro located 2 miles away. I ackowledge this is a limited service but we rely on feedback like yours to improve on the services necessary to accommodate every guest need . I am elated to here the front desk was friendly and helpful .Even though we try to give every guest our undivided attention , i also understand improvements can be made on staffing more effectivley to avoide lengthy delays for those waiting for assistance,this will be addressed immediatley.Your feedback is essential for our improvements and i am truly sorry we did not meet your expectation. Please understand we will continue to improve in the areas mentioned in your review as our primary goal is to provide every guest with a pleasurable experience . I do hope we have another oppourtunity to accommodate you in the future to provide you with the servcie you have come to expect and deserve .
Thank you again for advising us of your experience, your feedback is turly appreciated and valued .Please feel free to contact me directly should you have further questions or concerns.

Keri Yeates
E:kyeates@sharconmgt.com
P:202-266-3000
F:202-266-4800

Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was the cleanest hotel that I ever experienced. The staff also the friendliest. The carpet in the room was pristine . The bathroom amazingly the cleanest , floor shining. The furniture was a little dated, nicked but nothing to affect the rooms cleanliness. Easy internet connection, accept terms & the internet is connected. The room had a refrigerator, microwave & coffee maker. There is a continental breakfast only. It is appointed with the fruit, scrambled eggs, bagels, milk coffee bacon, sausage & the other assorted breakfast items. A shuttle service takes you to union station & returns at various times during the day. Limited seating, so one must sign up for a specific departure. The area isn't the best but you would never know it while a guest. Food nearby is limited, KFC MC Donald's gas stations checkers & a local Hogs on the hill a rib chicken place. All is in walking distance but crossing the street, is another story. Be safe attempting crossing. Drivers are ruthless, even when light indicates time to cross.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ToeBone
Sarah L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear ToeBone; Thank you so much for the great 5 star review of the Fairfield Inn & Suites and the wonderful compliments for our team. We will gladly share your kind remarks with the housekeeping manager and appreciate you recognizing their efforts. Thank you for sharing your tips about walking around and what is in the area. Not everyone is a fan of fast food and we know that, but the Hogs on the Hill is not fast food but great BBQ fast and we recommend it often to our guests for carryout. Thank you again for the very nice review, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to be your first choice for accommodations the next time you are in DC.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel has a wonderful staff and great location! I stayed here for about four days as I attended the Cherry Blossom festival. The staff was very helpful with any question I had and helped me with any concerns as this was my first time visiting the nation's capital. Gabby at the front desk is amazing! She went above and beyond with helping arrange for transportation to the airport.
The rooms are also very clean and the housekeeping staff does a great job with keeping them that way. Breakfast was great and I don't say excellent because one more than one occasion, the kitchen staff took a while to replenish the food. They did an excellent job with making everyone feel welcome for breakfast , otherwise. Overall, I want to say thanks to everyone for making my stay a memorable one! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Andre A
Sarah L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Andre; Thank you for the 5 star review! We appreciate you selecting the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington DC/New York Ave NE, as your place to stay while in town for the Cherry Blossom Festival events. We hope you had the chance to do a lot of sightseeing as there is so many great things to see and do in the city.

We are very pleased that you selected our hotel for your first trip to the Nation's Capitol and had such a great experience. We would like to thank you for the wonderful compliments and kind remarks for Gabby, our housekeeping staff, and the rest of the hotel.

We look forward to being your first choice for accommodations the next time you return to Washington, DC.