“Good choice close to National Mall”
Review of Elephant & Castle

Elephant & Castle
Ranked #99 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Burr Ridge, Illinois
“Good choice close to National Mall”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Good food & drink walking distance from the National Mall. They have a suburb bar; and nice selection of dishes for adults and children.

Visited March 2013

New Delhi, India
“Fourth of July Fun”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We sat outside for most of the whole day the day before the 4th of July 2011. The food was great, drinks free flowing and the atmosphere was perfect. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Delray Beach, Florida
“Relaxed pub atmosephere in downtown DC”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

After walking for what seemed a zillion miles from the Capitol, the E&C appeared like a mirage, albeit on a cold winter's early evening. Yes it was busy, but still had a very relaxed atmosphere with tables away from the hustle and bustle of a Friday evening crowd by the bar. The Boddingtons draft was almost like an elixir with its ultra smooth and yet no bitter after-taste - perfect! The fish and chips dinner was fine (I went for the cod version - the halibut was about $6 more), and I knew civilization was present, when I spotted the malt vinegar bottle as an ever-present addition to the table condiments. My guests had the Friday fish special which turned out to be a rather buttery (too much so for my taste) shrimp kebab and a tasty, but gigantic club sandwich.
Service was quick, but strangely enough, almost too quick as I wanted to rest and savior the Boddingtons before the food arrived. Despite that, the food was freshly cooked, and is to be recommended at a reasonable price in an expensive dining locale.
My only negative comment about the menu was that I thought it a little limited. There were a couple of items (lamb curry) on the weekly specials (available on certain days) that I thought would have made an interesting addition to the regular menu.
Of course, my own favorite pub meal (steak and kidney pie) was not available, but there again, it rarely is in the U.S.

• Visited March 2013
Illinois
“Very good selection of food and drinks”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place was recommended by a friend. We had finished a day of sightseeing and wanted a place to eat and relax. As we walked up to the place, we were hesitant to go in because it looked like a formal sit-down place. We went in and found it to be a very relaxed, pub atmosphere. The crowd mostly appeared to be people getting off work but I imagine in the summer time there are more tourists.

They have a good drink special every night and we took advantage of the half-priced wine bottle special. Would definitely come back again. One of the few sit down places in the area that has reasonable prices.

• Visited March 2013
Decatur, Illinois
“English Pub atmosphere”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Loved the Pub atmosphere. If you like beer, they have a huge selection. I had the fish & chips. Loved it. Would defiantly go back. They have a variety of food choices.

Visited May 2012