“Love this place”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Cross street: Florida Ave.
Transit: Closest metro station: Woodley Park, Red Line Bus stop in front of the restaurant for L2, 90,92,93
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I went here for dinner one Saturday night. I'm vegan; my date was a pork-eating carnivore. She had something with pork (maybe the tacos?); I had a dish with shitaake mushrooms and huitlacoche. We both loved our meals, and the hibiscus cocktails were delicious!

Not too crowded, even on Saturday evening. We were upstairs; it seems there's a connected cantina/bar downstairs, which we didn't try. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We recently returned from an extended stay in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico, and loved the food, along with everything else. Casa Oaxaca offered good examples of some of those foods done in a restaurant mode -- moles (I had negro, my favorite, on tuna), huitlacoche (in a couple of dishes), and chapulines/grasshoppers. All delicious, in good portions I clicked "wine list" above but swap that out for mezcal, of which there are many types offered a great selection. Service by Angel was charming.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My gluten-free wife and I bopped into this Adams Morgan restaurant early New Year's Eve, because it had received favorable reviews on GF web sites. The menu was clearly marked with GF items (although I didn't understand how the ceviche could not be GF. I'll have to ask next time).
The margaritas were outstanding. Not too sweet. (And no mixes used, which can be a trap for Celiac customers). We shared shrimp fajitas. The dish was just a bit small, portion wise and only came with three corn tortillas. But those tortillas, and the rest of the dish, was very tasty. I was fascinated by the wide selection of tequilas, especially small batch production Mexcals. All the more reason to make a return trip. Oh yes: excellent service.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Whenever my wife and I visit Washington DC the past year or so, we dine at Casa Oaxaca. I wrote a review of this restaurant last year, and I still feel compelled to give it a strong recommendation. It is not a fancy, haute cuisine sort of place, but I give it high marks for interesting, delicious Oaxacan style food. It is a very relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. I give it special high marks for the friendliness of the owners and the wait staff. Every time we have been there they have engaged us in interesting conversation and made us feel more welcome and relaxed than most restaurants. Some specifics on the food this time: their salsa is the best we have ever tasted, so is their guacamole, but we added a delicious twist: They serve fried grasshoppers (a Oaxacan delicacy) in a very tasty fondue, this time, however, we asked for the grasshoppers (chapulines) with our guacamole: fantastic combination! Their ribs with verde sauce is also very good.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I'm no expert on Mexican fod, but bottom line was that We LOVED our dinner. The food was amazing! I had the Chilaquiles con Arrachera- Corn tortillas lightly simmered in salsa roja, served with grilled skirt steak. The steak was perfectly cooked and the flavor was delicious and not too spicy. I also had a passion fruit infused water which was refreshing and delicious.Save room for dessert too- very yummy!