“One of the best meals you'll have in DC”
Review of Casa Oaxaca - CLOSED

Casa Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Cross street: Florida Ave.
Transit: Closest metro station: Woodley Park, Red Line Bus stop in front of the restaurant for L2, 90,92,93
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of the best meals you'll have in DC”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

As a transplant from Texas, one of the things I miss most about home is the food - primarily, good Tex-Mex and good Mexican food. I recently went here with my friend (also from TX) and we were blown away by how incredible the food and drinks were. I had the chilaquiles, guacamole, an spicy orange margarita (I can't recall the exact name of the cocktail), and the tres leches cake for dessert. I would definitely come back again - I feel like I have found a treasure as it is so difficult to find authentic Mexican food in the DC area!

• Visited May 2013

“Awesome Oaxacan Food!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place is definitely worth the trip to Adams Morgan! The menu is overwhelming not because it is long - it is quite short - everything just sounds so fantastic. If you go and are not sure what you want, I recommend asking the waiter. They gave us great advice. Their cocktails are also fantastic. The only reason this is 4 and not 5 (it's realy 4.5) is because it was really smelly when I went in there and it was unappetizing, but forget I said that - this place is delicious.

Visited March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Finally! Good Mexican food in DC!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've been on a search for good Mexican food in DC, and it's not easy to find. We really enjoyed the dishes we had here, and the service was great. I loved the churros for dessert!

Check out a more complete review, with pictures of the food and interior, on my blog: http://hungry-games.com/2012/10/09/casa-oaxaca-adams-morgan/

• Visited October 2012
West Point, Virginia
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I dined with friends at Casa Oaxaca for the first time last Saturday. I cannot say enough good things about our experience. The greeter Joanna made us feel welcome immediately and then was very helpful explaining certain items including the mole sampler. Our server, a young woman who said she was of Korean descent, was definitely one of the best servers we have ever had. She was intelligent, personable and very patient in explaining, and repeating, menu items. The atmosphere was casual yet comfortable. The food was exactly what we had hoped for. Our nice visit to the Mexican city Oaxaca made us interested in mole sauces, grasshoppers, huitlachoche (corn smut), etc. The grasshoppers in a red fondue was much better than we expected; not a thick cheesy fondue. The keka taco appetizer (3 small tacos, one with corn smut...the "Mexican truffle") was very good. Bottom line: all our appetizers and entrees were excellent. The only thing I did not like was the Margarita with mescal. Mescal (a cousin of tequila) always has a sort of smoky burnt taste I don't like, but I tried it anyway. The Margarita with tequila was very good. I hope this place stays around a long time.

• Visited November 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“Food was excellent, waitstaff needs a poking....”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visited Casa Oaxaca with another couple, and we were met by one of the chef's who gave my husband a little information about the restaurant. They serve authentic Oaxacan cuisine, and their moles are supposed to be one of the highlights of the menu. We started with margaritas, which were good and chapulines, which was adventurous for all of us except my husband. The grasshoppers add a unique flavor to the chile sauce, so we would recommend this appetizer. Two of us had the traditional mole negro, which was delicious and well prepared. Another had the tres moles, which is like a sampler, and I had the enchiladas with shrimp and a poblano sauce, which was out of this world.
The only thing ordered that did not meet our expectations was the tres leches for dessert. I would have expected this to be fresh and dripping with milk, but ours was dry, crunchy, and had a hint of garlic as if someone had used the wrong knife to cut the cake.
The restaurant is very small, so expect to sit close to others. The waitstaff was helpful, but a bit on the lackluster side. The food made up for that, though. This restaurant is worth a trip if you have never had authentic Mexican food.

• Visited November 2012