“Comfortable stay”
Review of Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton
Ranked #104 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Friendly staff and in high numbers given the size of the place. Concierge we're very helpful booking tables for us at various restaurants during our stay. Bar staff were funny and always accommodating. Breakfast was great with such a huge choice and very helpful staff.

Food within the hotel was very well-priced and tasted good so I would advise eating here at least once.

Swimming pool and gym facilities were very good although the gym did require a $7 fee per person, which is not too bad I guess. Swimming pool is complimentary for guests.

Beds were just about okay for 2 people given that they do not have king- or queen-size beds in the hotel. The cleaner did not vacuum the floors in our room for our 5 night stay. Furthermore coffee cups were not replenished regularly within our room, the ventilator in our bathroom did not work, and the air condition sometimes gave off a damp smell.

Compared to other hotels in Central DC, this was near to reasonably priced, however, it was a 10 minute walk to the nearest Metro (Dupont Circle) but this does only take 5-10 minutes into the city centre.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. It's great to read you enjoyed so many things about our hotel. We’ll gladly have you back on your return trip to Washington DC!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,014)

Reviewed August 29, 2014

We stayed in a twin room for four nights in mid August. I really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were of a very good size and we had two double beds. Rooms were comfortable with a large bathroom. Good dining options available and were reasonably priced. Staff were all very helpful and pleasant. Best advantage was the hotel is right outside the bus stop for the main tourist bus which made getting around to the main attractions very easy. There were also some nice restaurants within easy walking distance. My only disappointment was no free wifi in the rooms. Cost was approx $12 per day, this is too much. Free Wifi is provided in the downstairs reception and restaurant area.
Will happily stay again.....

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the "five star" review. We will gladly have you back on your next trip to DC! It makes me very proud that our staff delivered exceptional service!

Reviewed August 29, 2014

my business reservation was mixed up with the check in date 8/20-8/26 instead of 8/21-8/27. i was charged $189 +tax for 1 day no show 8/20. i agreed to pay but asked if they could give me a discount since i did not use the room. the floor manager said "Hilton is here to make money...we are not responsible for your mistake". what a cold and unappreciative response!!! i would feel much better and would stay at the Hilton again if the floor manager was more compassion or just say, we're not allowed to give a discount. i will continue to patronize the Westin instead of the Hilton!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. Please accept my apology on behalf of the management team of the hotel as your stay does not demonstrate the level of service typically provided to our guests. When problems arise at the hotel we make it a priority to make them right as soon as contacted. If you have any remaining issues please feel free to contact us and again sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

This was our first family trip( kids ages 12 and 14) to DC and couldn't have stayed at a better place. Conveniently located in a very cool neighborhood. Close to many good restaurants. The amenities at the hotel were great and everyone on the staff was going out of the way to make our stay comfortable.the breakfast buffet was outstanding and we had it booked as part of a family deal! Best Hilton we ever stayed!

Room Tip: Ask for a downtown view
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Martina A

Reading your review is exactly what we strive for at the Washington Hilton: helpful service, clean rooms and unmatched location. Thanks for the "5 star" review! We look forward to you returning to the Washington Hilton on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed here as we were attending a concert at the Verizon center. Convenient location and easy access to Metro were key criteria. We should have used the valet parking though. Overall great place to stay. Nice clean room. Enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gurinder S

Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. I am so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay. We hope to see you again on your return trip to DC.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

3rd stay at the Hilton Washington, had a great time. Pool area and gym are excellent, and the hotel is great for a relaxing break. There are dozens of restaurants and bars nearby, and the metro is only a short walk away. Bus routes to the zoo and beyond stop directly outside the hotel, and the U-Street corridor bus service is 2 blocks away.

Hotel bars were busy due to conventions, but I didn't mind, it's probably only a concern if you want to hang out in the hotel bar and avoid the thriving bar and cafe scene in Dupont and Adams Morgan :-) Exec lounge is a nice space, although the breakfast option within is pretty standard continental fare.
The room rate we got through Hilton.com was really good value for the area. Room was cleaned immaculately everyday. Would have been nice to have a refrigerator in the room, but there is plenty of ice available from the machine. The room is standard European size, which is fine. Wifi is free to mid/top tier HHonors members, otherwise you have to pay.
Staff were really helpful too, for a small fee we were able to extend checkout until the evening, which fitted in great with our late night flight from the airport. It meant that we could spend the last day of the vacation around the pool area instead of having to wander around town homeless for a half day! Having a car rental concession in the hotel is a great bonus as well.
I had a great stay again at the Hilton, and consider it the ideal hotel in DC for a relaxing city break. Yes it's huge and not the newest hotel in town, but the staff are really helpful, the location is perfect and the facilities are great. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gliceas

Thank you so much for reviewing the Washington Hilton! It's clear you had a great time and we really appreciate the “five star” review! We look forward to having you return on your next trip to DC!

Reviewed August 27, 2014

I don't often write poor reviews. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to travel. But this is an an exception. In Washington this week for APSA, staying in the Washington Hilton. What a mistake! The walls are so thin you can hear your neighbour's every move, my room wasn't cleaned until 3 pm, and the wireless I paid an outrageous amount of money for simply stopped working. I reported it, was told I had to ring the tech myself, sat for 20 minutes. He then worked out that - surprise, surprise - it wasn't because I couldn't work the technology, and undertook to get the hotel to fix it. I understand that wireless can be touchy, and was happy to make do until it was sorted. But ten hours later (on a day I was trying to catch up on stuff from the office) it still wasn't working. When I rang to get it fixed, I was told I had to speak to the tech again. When I pointed out that I'd already been through this process, I got an earful. I asked to be put through to the manager, only to be told it wouldn't be fixed until the next day, and that if that didn't work for me I'd have to move rooms. I did, and was given access to the club for my troubles. If only that solution had been offered when the problem initially arose. The club is extremely basic BTW.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Global_academic
Steve_Cowan_GM, General Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.