“Washington Hilton”
Review of Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton
Ranked #107 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very pleased with our stay here. The Hotel is spacious and the rooms are comfortable and well equipped. If I have to be picky, the air conditioning fan may disturb light sleepers but overall no complaints. Even better, the desk comp'd us free WiFi access in our room for our two week stay. As you would expect, the services available are plenty, for recreation there is an outdoor pool , for eating and drinking, there are a couple of decent restaurants and the bar does a good selection of beers (nice food available in the bar too).
The location is just up from DuPont Circle which means if you're going to DC to see the sights (Smithsonian museums, etc. you're probably going to have to take the metro - inexpensive and just a few stops, or take a cab). Having said that, I was there in September, the weather was fine and I walked back on some evenings (about 2 miles from e.g. The Whitehouse). If you fancy going out in the evening, there are plenty of good restaurants and bars just a few hundred yards away. Also, the trolleytours buses make a stop at the hotel if you want to do a DC tour from the doorstep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
RyanHawkinsCH, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. We are pleased that you and your companions enjoyed your stay during your visit to the city from the UK. I will make sure that your comments regarding your stay and the hotel facilities are shared with the team. Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Washington DC.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,066)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just returned from celebrating the 2013 Inauguration in D.C. and spent five nights at this great hotel with my family. It's my understanding that this property recently underwent a renovation and it definitely shows. It's a beautiful property, very well kept, warm and inviting. You can definitely tell it is a business class hotel. From the moment we checked in to the time we departed, we were treated wonderfully by every member of the hotel staff we encountered. I'm a Diamond member and was given a room on the 8th floor and everyone in my party was given access to the executive lounge on the 10th. It was a busy weekend, so I don't think I got the upgrade that I would ordinarily received as a Diamond, especially since I checked in very late. There were four of us (full size adults) in a standard two-double bed room. It was rather cramped and the bathroom was not nearly big enough to accommodate more than one person at a time. Given that we were thrilled just to be there for this historic event, we made do. However if I were to stay here for any other reason at any other time, I would have made an effort to get a better upgrade. We really were only in the room to sleep, so it wasn't all that bad. I will say that completely unprompted, the front desk staff did offer to move us to a bigger room for our last night, but we didn't want to pack up our things and move.
There are a couple of things to be aware of if you plan to stay here. The nearest Metro stop is in Dupont Circle. By my calculations (which aren't based on any science at all) it's about 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk to the station. It's not a bad walk, but in inclement weather (i.e. rain, wind, snow, cold) it will start to wear on you after awhile. It was so cold during our stay, that the last two days we ended up taking a cab back to the hotel in the evening rather than walk in sub-freezing temps. Also, if you take the Metro, be sure to exit at Q Street N not Dupont Circle South. The Q Street exit is closer to where you want to be if you are going back to the hotel.
The lobby bar doesn't stay open past 7 pm on weekdays. We went down to grab a drink after a long day of sightseeing and were surprised to find out the lobby bar was closed. The sports bar (McClellans) is open late though and they don't mind if you order your drinks at the bar and take them into the lobby bar area to drink. We ate one night at TDL, the hotel restaurant because we were too tired/cold to venture out. The food was just okay and the service was mediocre. The 5-cheese Mac and Cheese is not worth the price. It's very bland and not at all extraordinary. If you must have some, I suggest you order the side, not the entree. Fortunately, that is what we did. I would have been really upset if I spent $22 on the entree.
There is a Coffee Bean in the lobby that opens early and closes at 7. If you are a Diamond you will have access to the executive lounge on the 10th floor. They serve breakfast in the morning and snacks in the evening. It's actually a good deal for breakfast, especially if you aren't a big breakfast eater. Mostly continental options (toast, pastries, croissants, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee/tea/juice) and not many places to sit. We learned quickly that you can bring food back to your room and if you take the tray that comes underneath your ice bucket or coffee maker, you can carry more than one item back.
Overall the stay at this hotel was fantastic. I would definitely stay here again. A little piece of hotel trivia: The Washington Hilton is where President Regan was shot. I believe it was outside of the T street entrance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Coug1995

Thank you taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. We are pleased that you and your companions enjoyed your stay during your visit to the city for inauguration. I will make sure that your comments regarding your stay are shared with the team. Thank you again for staying with us and your continued loyalty to Hilton. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this DC Hilton for a change during the inauguration. Everyone was friendly and greeted me as a diamond member and staff consistently provided me with great service. I brought my pooch with me so I was relegated to a lower floor. The carpet in the room showed obvious prior pooch stains. I guess other dogs are not as good as mine in telling when it's time to go outside. The rooms are small but they have been updated which makes it tolerable. I had a nice view. The TDL hotel brunch was wonderful with excellent wait staff. Overall a great experience give the full occupancy during the presidential inauguration.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. We are pleased that you and your K9 companion enjoyed your stay during your visit to the city. I will make sure that your comments regarding your stay are shared with the team. We thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC.

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a little far to metro and other attractions but a great hotel, tastefully upgraded rooms, beautiful views, roomy lobby, all luxury. We stayed at the club level, the club was fully stocked and the breakfast was very good. We used the room service which the selections were great .

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay during your visit to the city. I will make sure that your comments regarding your stay and the executive lounge are shared with the team. We thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

What is this love affair Hilton has with trash cans that are too narrow and small to use. Large Heavy doors in the baths that get in the way, block access to something else, and won't stay open/closed ??? Or power outlets that are hard to find - if they're even there. Counter space that is often insufficient. small closets. Carpets that should have been steam cleaned sometime last year. Or earlier. Narrow hallways.
Wasn't impressed by the Honors Club either.
THe people are generally very nice and helpful, but the management/design departments are not impressive at all. The restaurant here is closed for dinner, you have to go to the bar or go out . At least the kitchen does a good job. Lots of restaurants handy

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Dairybrook
RyanHawkinsCH, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. We would like to apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of providing exceptional service. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area. I do hope that you will be our guest again – thank you for your review.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the inauguration which is why it was over priced. $246 for a standard room. But paid it. The TV didn't work at first so they brought a different remote, but than he said we will only get a few channels. A few channels it was. Like 15 maybe!

Communication with their staff is awful. If you asked for towels you might or might not get them or you might get a crap load. Some of the towels weren't washed right, because they smelled like dog pee.

The little coffee shop was over priced and nothing was very good. Walmart bakery is 100% better which is not a compliment.
$2 for a can of coke at the coffee shop or $4 for room service can of coke. If you stay here walk to rite aid which is just down the road. Or maybe try another hotel.

On a positive note the rooms were clean and great wifi service. Very nice looking lobby and business center!

2  Thank BradleyRi

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Washington Hilton Hotel was recently remodeled and the interior furnishings are not elegant, but very nice. We also applaud their efforts to “go green.” However, there were certain deficiencies. Most noticeable and annoying is the closet, which is very shallow. In fact, clothes cannot hang on hangars with the closet sliding door closed unless they are hung at a 45-degree angle. The safe (which did not work) was mounted just below sport-coat height inside the closet, which made it impossible to hang a reasonable amount of long clothes (dresses; pants hung from the cuffs, etc.). The shower had inadequate water pressure and the water was at best, only warm. The TV menu was very annoying and appeared designed to prevent you from getting to broadcast TV. On the other hand, it was very easy to check out electronically using the TV. The sports bar had a relatively large selection of dinner entrées; service was very pleasant but also slow. The best part of our stay in the hotel was the breakfast. The service was warm and friendly, the fruit was fresh and the croissants were tasty.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
RyanHawkinsCH, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you taking the time to provide candid feedback regarding your recent stay. I have forwarded your comments on to our team so that they may share in not only the highlights of your stay but also the areas where we have opportunity. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington DC.