“Comfortable enough...”
Review of Washington Hilton

Washington Hilton
Ranked #104 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 14, 2011

1) Our room on the 8th floor was oddly shaped but comfortable enough. The beds were plush with excellent bedding. There was no outside noise and minimal noise from the hallway but the walls between rooms left much to be desired. If my neighbor talked on his phone, I could hear every word. Similarly, if he had his TV on, I knew what he was watching. Luckily, I had a fairly quiet neighbor. The bathroom obviously went through a recent retrofit. The shower is excellent. The sink is good but there isn't quite enough counter space, especially for two people. The worst part, though, is the door to the bathroom. The door has privacy glass in the center so if one person gets up in the middle of the night, goes into the bathroom, and turns on the light, the light shines right through the door and wakes everyone else up. Who wants glass in the middle of a bathroom door anyway???? The closet had only 8 hangers - enough for 1 person, but not for two for a week. The flat screen TV was a nice touch. A refrigerator would have been nice. The HVAC system is very nice, with more than enough heating and cooling, and best of all it ran quietly.

2) The cost of the hotel is quite high at $245/night. Parking is another $32/night. At least internet service was free and a continental breakfast was included. These latter two perks may, however, have been due to my being a frequent Hilton visitor. Overall, the cost is steep for the room quality. The hotel is not particularly convenient to anything. The Metro is a short hike away, as is duPont Circle. You're definitely too far from the Mall to walk there and back, though one way wouldn't be terribly unreasonable on a nice day.

3) Restaurant service is very pleasant with fairly high food quality. I was pleased by the fresh orange juice. The conference rooms were also nicely laid out and easy to find given the interactive touchscreens available throughout the conference area.

I'm sure I'll be back as all my Washington area conferences seem to end up at this hotel, but if I were on my own, I'd probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TwinComanche
gjguerra, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Washington Hilton. We are glad to hear that you were happy with the bathroom renovations with exception to the frosted glass door. Although we do put 10 hangers in each closet, we do realize that this may not be enough for some guests. Our Housekeeping department does carry a supply of extras to meet guest’s needs when requested. Refrigerators are also available to our guests upon request. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,010)

Reviewed April 10, 2011

Spent four comfortable nights at Hilton DC - had a great room with a view of city. I had stayed here before about 6 years ago and I found the rooms and service to be much improved this time around. The hotel has undergone recent renovations and all staff were helpful and friendly. I had a lot of work to do and barely left the hotel for first three days of conference so I appreciated the quiet, well furnished room. I had reservations at the Hotel Palomar for the second half of the week (after my DH joined me) and actually thought about just staying at this property instead so we would not have to move. However, for some reason, the hotel front desk person couldn't manage to meet my request to match the price and room request so we did happily continue on down the hill to the Hotel Palomar for the rest of our stay.

There are not a lot of quick food options at or near this location at this time (I believe they are still adding such options to this location) but there are tons of great restaurants just a few blocks down and throughout Dupont Circle area and just down the other way is Adams Morgan so you will not go hungry if you can walk a few blocks or don't mind taking a taxi. A really easy (but a bit long if you are in a hurry) walk to the Metro.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive remarks about our new and improved post-renovation guestrooms and our much improved service. I am sorry that we were unable to accommodate your request to extend your reservation. Unfortunately, there are times when extending a reservation is not possible due to the number of incoming reservations. However we do value your patronage and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel last weekend. I booked the room via hotwire and got an awesome rate. Therefore any of the issues we dealt with I was willing to overlook given the amount we paid to stay there. Upon check in, the front desk was wonderful, even spent quite some time trying to find a room to upgrade us. Upon entering the room I was a little surprised by how small it was and then we quickly learned the bathroom wasn't clean. I called down to front desk; they said they would take care of it, so we headed down to McClellan's Sports Bar for some drinks. Service there was great, we had a nice time. Fast forward to the following day, we came back from a long day out exploring D.C. and housekeeping made our beds, gave us fresh towels and that's it. Didn't take out our dishes, wine glasses, or garbage....I was annoyed but I got over it. Now here is the big issue I have. I gave them my American Express for incidental charges. Upon checkout I was billed and charged for the amount we had spent. It is now five days since my stay at the Hilton. I went to pay my American Express bill this morning and noticed an additionally $140 worth of pending charges on my card from Hilton. It was $50 dollars for one day, and $89.11 for the other. Confused about what this pending charge was, I called the accounting department. To which they explained to me, they pre-authorize a certain amount no your incidental card (aka my American Express) each time you charge something to your room. So....my first charge at McClellan's Sports Bar, in addition to my $60 plus dollar bill, they pre-authorize a pending charge for an amount near or around what your actual charge is. Confused? Yeah, I was too. What it boils down to is, Hilton Washington charges the incidental credit card you put down at check in with every item you bill to your room in order to guarantee that when you check out the card will cover what you charged. Now, in theory, I understand why they do this. In practice, it's completely outrageous, ESPECIALLY, given the fact that they do not disclose this to you when you check in. And normally, pending charges clear within one or two business days, it has now been FIVE days, and if I hadn't called, I think those pending charges would have remained on my account. God forbid you give them a credit/debit card; any pending charges are automatically deducted from your checking account. So if you are traveling on a budget and only have a certain amount of money to spend, you would be out double whatever your bill was at this hotel until the bank clears the money back into your account. I just find the whole thing disturbing and bad business practice. In my conversations with both accounting and management this morning, neither department seemed concerned nor did they offer me anything for my frustrations. The area the hotel is in is fantastic and it is quite convenient, however, I will now, never stay at this hotel again, and quite frankly, I don't think I will ever stay at a Hilton again given this shady policy they have.

Room Tip: Only floor that has free wi-fi is the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tleecouch
gjguerra, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2011

Thank you very much for bringing these issues to our attention so that we may address our shortcomings. We do appreciate you taking the time to write your review. I would like to apologize for the lack of service you experienced with regards to Housekeeping. I am sending you a private message to further discuss your billing difficulties and to see they are resolved to your satisfaction.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Do not expect the Washington Hilton to be charming, it is a business hotel, built and decorated like a business hotel.
We had a one king bed room with a view on the city. The view was ok but the room was small for such a hotel. Quiet and clean.
The breaksfast buffet is very good: a big choice of quality food.
The location of the hotel is not so convenient. Well, it is if you only want to know the Dupont Circle area, which is nice but not the only thing to see in DC. You'll have to walk about 15 minutes to the Dupont Circle metro station if you want to discover a little bit more of what this wonderful city has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
gjguerra, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at the Washington Hilton. Although conventions and business travelers are a big part of our guest mix, we also have services and amenities tailored to our leisure guests. From romantic room service amenities to nighttime tours of our national monuments, we look forward to offering a memorable experience for all guests.

Reviewed March 31, 2011

These were the smallest guest rooms I have ever seen - positively claustophobic. And not cheap - conference rate of $260 plus tax. No place for take-out lunches near by. Cleaning service left towel with blood spots on it. Bed was comfortable at least. If you stay here for some unknown reason, at least eat at the cafe at Cramers Bookstore down the street. Do not eat at Bistro Bistro - slooooooow service and sangria (billed as a speciality) that was watery sugared wine with a few pieces of cut up apple. All other restaurants close by seem to have agreed to charge $25 and up per entree - many other parts of DC have great, cheap ethnic restaurants but not here. Internet was $7 per night, which adds up. Self parking was $32 per night, which also adds up.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JustQuietAndClean

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your opinions of our hotel. Within the coming months we will be opening a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in our lobby area. This coffee shop will allow our guests to quickly pickup sandwiches and salads without having to leave the hotel. With this new addition to our hotel, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while attending a conference held at the hotel. The rooms are small, but adequate. The bed was very comfortable, the sitting chair less so. Other room amenities were fine. I'm a man, but the lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom is a nice touch, as was the bathroom drawer and under sink shelf. What I disliked is the fee for internet access (it's complimentary at most places now). Likewise the fee for holding my bags while attending the conference on the day of checkout (again, other places I've been too it was complimentary). Maid service was excellent the first day. On the second day the maid must have been in a hurry, as she did not empty the ice bucket, replace a drinking glass and rehung a damp towel that had been placed on the floor. Toiletries were also not replaced with new. Not a major issue, but for a hotel that touts itself as upscale doesn't reflect well upon the chain. Rooms were not very soundproof, as I could easily hear others talking in adjacent rooms. (Luckily, they were not the type that stayed up late. :-) ).

On the plus side, the hotel offered nice touches during the conference. Notepads (with the hotel logo) and pens were available at the back of the conference rooms, along with water. The hotel's location is good, with easy access to the metro. There are several restuarants (though little in the way of inexpensive choices) in the area along with some art shops, book stores, etc. It's very close to several embassies and embassy row. The outdoor sitting area is a nice place to take a break and get some fresh air.

I would not hesitate to stay here if the price were right, but I would not pay anywhere near full rate otherwise.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CAH2

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experiences at the Washington Hilton. The bathroom amenities you mentioned were part of our $150 million renovation. The new outdoor sitting area was also part of that renovation. Please accept my apologies for the lack of attention and detail by our housekeeping services. The items you mentioned, from not emptying the ice bucket to not replacing the toiletries are unacceptable. I assure you we will review this with the appropriate staff and closely monitor our performance moving forward.

Reviewed March 24, 2011

The Washington Hilton is where you'll probably stay if you are going to a convention or a large banquet in Washington. It is a massive hotel with several meeting rooms including DC's largest hotel ballroom. Rooms are standard Hilton, though we upgraded to a 2-room suite. Without the upgrade I would say that the rooms are small as are the bathrooms, but they have been recently updated and are very nice. The hotel is shaped like two half moons, so if you're in a corner room, be prepared to walk up to 5 minutes from the elevator to your room. Because of DC building height restrictions, don't expect a great view, but the windows are large and brighten the room. As a huge hotel, service is tough when they're nearly sold out or a conference is in session. Late check out was impossible and baggage checked with the bell desk is $2 so just be prepared to leave by noon. The executive lounge on the 10th floor is nice, basic amenities (free wireless, snacks, non-alcoholic beverages). Overall, the hotel is good, not great in a city with a lot of great hotels.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiger02trip

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our newly renovated guest rooms and our Executive Lounge area. We are committed to providing the best service possible and it is disappointing to hear that your experience did not reflect this commitment. We will review your comments with our team and clearly convey our expectations. Thank you for visiting the Washington Hilton and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.