“Wonderful hotel”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #12 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Excellent all around - hotel room was very large, even for standard double. Service was wonderful and hotel very well appointed and well maintained.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank chrissypt
There are newer reviews for Willard InterContinental Washington

Reviewed April 2, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at the Willard over the weekend. The hotel itself is beautiful, very ornate but comfortable. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The room itself was large, clean, and elegant. The best part of the Willard - the amazing location. It was convenient to walk anywhere!

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank megny
Reviewed March 22, 2006

Just returned from a 2 night (thurs/Fri.) stay at the willard intercontinental...
I went with my wife and 4 year old son, and it was a great place to explore Washington DC from. It's only 1 block from the White House, and 2-3 blocks from the start of the massive National Mall and all of its attractions. With my wife pregnant, it was close as we could possibly stay to the sites.
We got a "cherry blossom" package, which made the rooms about $320 each, including our choice of breakfast or parking each day. Since parking is only $28 a day, we picked the breakfast. Each breakfast bill was about $50 total, so this worked out in our favor.
Our room, #1114, was a king size bed with plenty of extra room for our son's roll-away bed, which was also complimentary. Along with the package, they provided my son a little briefcase that had enough crayons, paints,etc. to keep him busy at meal times. Some chocolate covered cherries are provided as well...
The lobby is fantastic, and the hotel appears to be well run. The food was more than adequate as well.
When we return to Washington, we will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank strengthcoach
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Stayed at the lovely Willard March 17-19 with my husband and 2 children. Unlike previous posters, the service we received was professional and kind (we even wore sneakers!). There were several families staying there so don't hesitate to bring the kids-well behaved, of course! The breakfast buffet was very nice with many hot and cold selections and fresh squeezed orange juice. Stayed in a superior double. Very spacious and the beds have wonderful feather toppers and down pillows. Very nice stay all around and the location cannot be beat!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank aubergine1
A TripAdvisor Member
Rye New York
Reviewed February 25, 2006

Read all of the reviews before my stay and was very glad I ignored the warnings of rude staff and a distaste for guests who prefer jeans.
After 6 hours on the road and two phone calls for directions I arrived to the very welcome arms of the Willard.
My entire weekend stay was one of the best hotel stays for me in a long time. My room was very large and service was outstanding from room service to the concierge.(Allthough it is not 2 and a half hours to Annapolis as I was told by the concierge). But I think he was concerned of the general grid lock in DC on a busy political Saturday.
As far as the notion of a smell of smoke from the lobby; I am a 15 year volunteer firefighter I did not smell or see any sign of of smoke!
I will always stay at The Willard and prefer to stay at Intercontinental whenever I am on vacation.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an executive suite at the Willard through our Intercontinental Gold Ambassador membership. These are very large suites, and quite comfortable. I can recommend the beds especially. They use feather beds and provide plenty of pillows. I slept really well. The bathrooms are nice, although the water pressure was marginal. The Penhaligon Quercus toiletries were appreciated.

We had no complaints about the staff, and had no billing problems. The Victorian decor of the hotel is not to my personal taste, but it is certainly distinctive. My only complaint was that the rooms are not kept in tip-top condition. Our carpeting and upholstery did not look very fresh. Not horrible, but certainly not brand new. I would definitely stay here again however, especially with this type of room.

Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank kingsroadgal
Reviewed January 14, 2006

I have stayed at the Willard multiple times over the past year, each time for work, so I cannot tell you personally about room service, the drawn baths (at a price), etc. that people take advantage of when one keeps a leisurely pace at the hotel. I can tell you that I've had a wonderful experience each time I'm there. In fact, I now alternate between the Willard and the Mayflower for my stays in DC, and consider them my hotels of choice in DC.
I've never been ignored or mistreated, including the first time I walked in wearing jeans and sneakers. The staff is so attentive, so discrete and so helpful to all I've seen step through the door. Though I must comment, housekeeping would do better paying more attention to crumbs on room furniture. Otherwise, no complaints at all.
The rooms have mostly been HUGE, and the turndown service is complete with just the right kind of relaxing music playing on your radio and a spritz of some kind of citrus in the room. The only thing I'm not fond of are their bath amenities (soaps, lotion, shampoo). I bring and use my own as the ones they provide dry my skin taut. Their towels, bathrobes and slippers are wonderfully plush.
The free high speed net service is great for business travelers like myself connecting to work email, and the desks in the room are great for spreading out your work. There's a small business center with most everything you might need on a business trip (fax, paper cutter, printer, copier, computerw/net connection), but I'd not bother with it unless absolutely necessary.

Stayed: December 2005