“Wonderful stay at the Willard.”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #13 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Buckhead GA
“Wonderful stay at the Willard.”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband's cousin was a decorated Vietnam Veteran and was to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors. Our almost 16 year old son had never been to DC. My husband decided to make a nice weekend of it and take us to the Willard, one of DC's most historic and loveliest old hotels. We were not disappointed!!! Our room with 2 Queen beds was expansive, big enough to share with a 6'2" teenager comfortably! The white marble bath was roomy. The hotel staff provided lush bathrobes for all three of us. The breakfast at the Cafe du Parc was prepared perfectly and served with a flourish. The concierge answered questions quickly and efficiently and the Front Desk staff was lovely. Was the hotel cheap? No. Was the Willard worth the price? Absolutely!!!

1 Thank cmcnally56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
boston
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The location can't be beat. The service of the desk staff and concierge were great. Housekeeping was lack luster. I got a great rate from the Amex preferred hotels group. The upgrade was also available at time of check in. I picked the Willard for location and the guarentee of two queen beds. The JW Marriott and the W are right next store. For my next visit I will compare rates. The rooms at the Willard are a bit dated and there were several large conventions in house. I hope the the housekeeping staff attends to visiting dignitaries better than the ordinary folk. We left our room at 10:00 am and returned at 4:30 pm to find that the room had not been serviced. On the second day I grabbed for a towel finding that it was soiled. Gross!!! Cafe Du Parc has a great buffet if breakfast is included in the rate otherwise there are several places just around the corner. Starbucks is located across the street on the second floor of the JW. A bright spot was the concierge, Guilliame's restaurant recommendations were spot on. Oya was trendy and the sushi was outstanding. I highly recommend.
While in DC, I had lunch at the Four Seasons in Georgetown. If location and money were not a consideration I would stay there. Also, from the lobby the W looked like a great spot.
As for seeing the sites, The Willard is in walking distance to everything. On trip advisors recommendations we took the DC by Foot free monument tour. It was as good as described. The tour leaves at 6:00 from the corner of Constitution and 14th. It is free and full of fun facts. The guide is entertaining. I would recommend this on day one. The News Museum was a hit with the teens. We had been to the Spy and National Museums of Crime and Punishment before so we skipped on this trip.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed August 13, 2009

You will not go wrong booking this hotel.   Yes, it's expensive, but for the location and the level of service, it was worth it to us.   We traveled with two 7 yr olds and a 3 yr old. We had a good size room, 2 very comfy beds, 2 windows - 4th floor  - view was nothing special.  The frige is stocked, if you take something out it's billed to your room so just remember to let the front desk know what you actually ate/drank.  We had "in room" breakfast from the hotel's resturant one morning.  It was really good, but very expensive.There's a 18% service charge added to the bill and I don't think it was a gratuity so we tipped also.  We ate at Old Ebbitt's Grill twice, it's just around the corner (exit out the back of the hotel).  The first night we ate early around 5pm and it was a 5 minute wait, but the second time we ate there we went around 6:30pm and it was a 45 minute wait.  The hotel is walking distance to the Washington Monument, the White House, US Mint,  The National Mall. We took the cab a few times...to the Capitol...then another time  to Lincoln Memorial.    We walked back from the Capitol to the Museums.   We ate the Native American Museum's Cafeteria - it was good - lots of choices.   We went to the Natural History and American History Museum and walked back to the hotel.   I say all that so you can see that you are walking distance to so much.   The 3 year old faired well - no stroller - he walked.  As I mentioned, we took cab to Lincoln Mem and walked over the Veitnam Mem and WWII Mem - caught a cab back.   Cab fare - family of 5 was $11.   Great trip - can't wait to do it again and see much more when the children are a little older.   We did all that in 2 days with relaxing nights at the hotel.

victorianhouselover
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had the honor of staying here for 2 nights during our visit to Washington DC. It is worth the money. I think it was as pretty as the white house. You feel like royalty while staying there, treated with respect and all your needs are met 100%. Great rooms, large, with comfy beds, lines and robes. Turn down service and excellant staff.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2009

The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are nice, although the bathrooms could really use an update. Guests are supposed to be able to control the temperature in their rooms, although no matter how low we set the thermostat, the temperature in the room never got cooler than 73 degrees, which is rather warm for my taste.

The location of the hotel is either fabulous or horrible, depending on the purpose of your trip: On the one hand, it couldn't be closer to the White House and the monuments, but on the other hand, there are no residences in the area, so there's no nightlife.

The food and drinks served at the outdoor cafe were not good, although the setting is very informal, so we weren't expecting much there. The staff at the hotel was generally pleasant and helpful (but for the concierge, who told us that the 18% service charge on our $250 room service bill was not a tip for the server . . . we later found out that it was in fact a tip, but that was only after we left a 20% tip on top of the 18% tip). The food and drinks delivered were tasty.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BMR10023
Morton, Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed for three days and have no complaints with the hotel. It is elegant, and was exactly what my wife was looking for when we booked it (heart of the city and walking distance to most of the attractions). The staff and concierge were diligent and met all of our needs without incident. I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Not able to handle motorcyle stays real well. If you are going to spend this money, stay at the Hays. I wished I would have. I pulled up out front and thought the bell staff was going to take my luggage but the moment cars came up - they ignored me. I took all my staff off and put it on a cart before they came back over. Very terrible service outside. In the parking garage - same thing. They seemed a little unsure where they wanted to place me. Front desk was great and got me checked right in. My room was very nice although I had one tiny portal for a window. It was a little claustrophobic. In hindsight, I wished I would have stayed at the Hays but I have never stayed here so I wanted to give it a chance. You must dress for dinner or go off site.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo