“Great Location”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #15 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The location can't be beat. The service of the desk staff and concierge were great. Housekeeping was lack luster. I got a great rate from the Amex preferred hotels group. The upgrade was also available at time of check in. I picked the Willard for location and the guarentee of two queen beds. The JW Marriott and the W are right next store. For my next visit I will compare rates. The rooms at the Willard are a bit dated and there were several large conventions in house. I hope the the housekeeping staff attends to visiting dignitaries better than the ordinary folk. We left our room at 10:00 am and returned at 4:30 pm to find that the room had not been serviced. On the second day I grabbed for a towel finding that it was soiled. Gross!!! Cafe Du Parc has a great buffet if breakfast is included in the rate otherwise there are several places just around the corner. Starbucks is located across the street on the second floor of the JW. A bright spot was the concierge, Guilliame's restaurant recommendations were spot on. Oya was trendy and the sushi was outstanding. I highly recommend.
While in DC, I had lunch at the Four Seasons in Georgetown. If location and money were not a consideration I would stay there. Also, from the lobby the W looked like a great spot.
As for seeing the sites, The Willard is in walking distance to everything. On trip advisors recommendations we took the DC by Foot free monument tour. It was as good as described. The tour leaves at 6:00 from the corner of Constitution and 14th. It is free and full of fun facts. The guide is entertaining. I would recommend this on day one. The News Museum was a hit with the teens. We had been to the Spy and National Museums of Crime and Punishment before so we skipped on this trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,285)

Reviewed August 13, 2009

You will not go wrong booking this hotel.   Yes, it's expensive, but for the location and the level of service, it was worth it to us.   We traveled with two 7 yr olds and a 3 yr old. We had a good size room, 2 very comfy beds, 2 windows - 4th floor  - view was nothing special.  The frige is stocked, if you take something out it's billed to your room so just remember to let the front desk know what you actually ate/drank.  We had "in room" breakfast from the hotel's resturant one morning.  It was really good, but very expensive.There's a 18% service charge added to the bill and I don't think it was a gratuity so we tipped also.  We ate at Old Ebbitt's Grill twice, it's just around the corner (exit out the back of the hotel).  The first night we ate early around 5pm and it was a 5 minute wait, but the second time we ate there we went around 6:30pm and it was a 45 minute wait.  The hotel is walking distance to the Washington Monument, the White House, US Mint,  The National Mall. We took the cab a few times...to the Capitol...then another time  to Lincoln Memorial.    We walked back from the Capitol to the Museums.   We ate the Native American Museum's Cafeteria - it was good - lots of choices.   We went to the Natural History and American History Museum and walked back to the hotel.   I say all that so you can see that you are walking distance to so much.   The 3 year old faired well - no stroller - he walked.  As I mentioned, we took cab to Lincoln Mem and walked over the Veitnam Mem and WWII Mem - caught a cab back.   Cab fare - family of 5 was $11.   Great trip - can't wait to do it again and see much more when the children are a little older.   We did all that in 2 days with relaxing nights at the hotel.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had the honor of staying here for 2 nights during our visit to Washington DC. It is worth the money. I think it was as pretty as the white house. You feel like royalty while staying there, treated with respect and all your needs are met 100%. Great rooms, large, with comfy beds, lines and robes. Turn down service and excellant staff.

Reviewed August 5, 2009

The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are nice, although the bathrooms could really use an update. Guests are supposed to be able to control the temperature in their rooms, although no matter how low we set the thermostat, the temperature in the room never got cooler than 73 degrees, which is rather warm for my taste.

The location of the hotel is either fabulous or horrible, depending on the purpose of your trip: On the one hand, it couldn't be closer to the White House and the monuments, but on the other hand, there are no residences in the area, so there's no nightlife.

The food and drinks served at the outdoor cafe were not good, although the setting is very informal, so we weren't expecting much there. The staff at the hotel was generally pleasant and helpful (but for the concierge, who told us that the 18% service charge on our $250 room service bill was not a tip for the server . . . we later found out that it was in fact a tip, but that was only after we left a 20% tip on top of the 18% tip). The food and drinks delivered were tasty.

1  Thank BMR10023
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed for three days and have no complaints with the hotel. It is elegant, and was exactly what my wife was looking for when we booked it (heart of the city and walking distance to most of the attractions). The staff and concierge were diligent and met all of our needs without incident. I'd definitely recommend.

Reviewed July 31, 2009

Not able to handle motorcyle stays real well. If you are going to spend this money, stay at the Hays. I wished I would have. I pulled up out front and thought the bell staff was going to take my luggage but the moment cars came up - they ignored me. I took all my staff off and put it on a cart before they came back over. Very terrible service outside. In the parking garage - same thing. They seemed a little unsure where they wanted to place me. Front desk was great and got me checked right in. My room was very nice although I had one tiny portal for a window. It was a little claustrophobic. In hindsight, I wished I would have stayed at the Hays but I have never stayed here so I wanted to give it a chance. You must dress for dinner or go off site.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel for four nights. This was a much needed getaway weekend for both of us. The stay was free as part of my Priority Club membership. We arrived around 11pm on Friday night. I was a bit surprised that there was no bell staff to greet us upon stepping out of the Taxi. No worry for us as we only had carry on bags, but worth noting none the less. The check in staff was cordial and welcoming. They easily combined the two reservations that we had so that we would not have to check in and out after the first night.

Shortly after we got to our room we received a call from the front desk telling us that due to some unforeseen major plumbing repairs two nights of our stay would not have water from 11pm - 5am. Wow, okay I asked could they at least upgrade our room. They quickly put us in a very nice 1000 square foot suite on the 12th floor. They sent a bellman up quickly with the new keys. The original room was nicely appointed but on the smallish size. The new room was fabulous. Kitchen area, dining table, sitting area, bed area, tons of closet space. The bathroom though large had a very tiny shower. Functional but tiny. There was a large cast tub in the bathroom. The room was very quiet with no noise from the street below. I did have to put a pillow over the backlit light switches by the nightstand each night. The bed was very comfortable though the pillows left a bit to be desired. We did experience a bit of noise from the plumbing work the second night, but the hotel provided us complimentary breakfast the next three mornings to make up for it which was a nice gesture for about 30 minutes of noise overnight. I do think that they did everything they could to make our stay wonderful. As for the water being out they offered to send up a bellman with water for the toilet if needed, but we just filled our tub as a backup before the water went out. (I know, we are low maintenance!) Housekeeping was always friendly and did a good job of keeping the room fresh. The room had a nice 32” HDTV and plenty of cable channels. There was a nice work desk.

The lobby of the Willard is beautiful. Look for the state seals in the ceiling. Be sure to check out the small display room at the back of Peacock Alley….there is a history of the Willard display that was rather neat to look at. Hard to believe this beauty was almost demolished. The concierge staff was always helpful and friendly. I am not able to comment on the workout or spa facilities. We were active during out entire stay so did not need to test these facilities. They do offer a business center with typical charges for a higher end hotel. The concierge printed our boarding passes for us so that we did not have to use the business center. The hotel has 24 hour room service but once again we did not partake of this offering.

The absolutely fabulous thing about this hotel – the history of the hotel makes you feel like you are part of DC. Also the location is perfect for tourists. You are less than a block from the White House, .4 miles from the Washington Monument / National Mall, .5 to 1 mile from all the Smithsonian Museums (depending on which one) and 1.1 miles from the Capital / Union Station. All of these are easy to walk to, though the Capital takes about 20 minutes. If you decide to take any of the hop on hop off tour busses, they depart from right in front of the hotel. There are several good dining options within 5-7 minutes walking distance.

The one disappointment with the hotel is their restaurant Café du Parc. We probably would not have eaten breakfast here if the hotel had not comped the meals for us, but I am going to review the restaurant as if we were paying. Breakfast entrees range from about $12 - $18. The Buffet is approximately $24 per person. It could be a wonderful buffet, as the selection is great, but the food each day tended to range from under cooked and cold to dried out and tired from the heat lamps. The first and third days were pretty good; the second day was barely edible. (Other than the fruit which was wonderful.) Do yourself a favor, if you are paying for the meal, go to Old Ebbitt Grill for breakfast; it is only a block away. We had one less than stellar waitress for two days, and a very good waiter the last day. The support staff did however take great care of us when the waitress was always absent.

All in all I would highly recommend the Willard, guest service is top notch, the rooms are wonderful, and the location is great.

1  Thank pcsanity