“" Mommy, I feel like a princess!"”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #14 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlottesville, VA
“" Mommy, I feel like a princess!"”
Reviewed March 30, 2005

I will be taking my 8 year old daughter for our third annual girls weekend in Washington DC soon. We have stayed at the Willard twice and look forward to our next visit. we come during the Cherry Blossom Festival. The service and the surroundings are superb. Upon entering the lobby for the first time, my daughter (then 6) exclaimed "Mommy I feel like a princess and this is my castle!" last year, we arrived on Friday afternoon, with tickets to an evening ballet performance. The concierge arranged a last minute 5:00 pm haircut for my daughter at a salon around the corner. Now THATS service.
I have always been lucky finding a good rate for the Willard, and always able to find one lower than their advertised "Very Cherry" package. This year I was even able to get a free weekend night certificate on Ebay for $36.00 which I plan to use on this visit.
I will never stay anywhere else in Washington.

• Stayed April 2004
4 Thank keswickfarm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed February 22, 2005

I've been to DC many times, but this was our first at the Willard. We went for a wedding. I did have to change rooms a few times, which is my habit, but ended up with a good sized room overlooking the city with lots of light (and a conference room attached!). Considering the rate we got with the wedding block - under $200 - I was extremely pleased, and didn't even mind that I could hear the elevator bell. The service was excellent, the hotel was quiet and elegant but never stuffy. They also did a great job on the wedding - this was not your average "hotel ballroom" event. I loved being walking distance to Filene's Basement, Border's, Starbucks, and the Metro. I've noticed fewer hotels are providing cofeemakers in the rooms these days, I guess in an attempt to get you to buy breakfast. I have to have tea as soon as I wake up, so I called housekeeping, who quickly brought me a tea kettle for no charge, but there is a charge for a coffeemaker if you want one. If you can get a good rate here, you will love it. Request a room on a high floor with a view. For contrast, visit the Marriott across the street. Oh, and I almost forgot my favorite thing: Turner Classic Movies! Very few hotels have this channel, which offers great movies with no commercials. For insomniacs, it's the best.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank UpgradeQueen
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Reviewed January 30, 2005

I stay at the Willard as often as possible. It is truly a stunning hotel at the best location in the city. The problems described by those two other people were certainly not extant when we were there last. We got a room on the end of the hall on the third floor. It was huge with a king bed. It is truly a sumptuous place to stay. Breakfast in the Willard Room was delicious. (it should be as it cost $50 for two...ouch). Dress well here and you will feel fine. There is no 'ageism' as the one person says, it's just you shouldn't be hanging around in torn clothes and tennis shoes. This is a grand hotel; dress the part! Just imagine....the hotel was closed in the 70 for ten or so years! At least the misguided fools that built the Kennedy Center didn't tear down the Willard. I have stayed all over the world and the Willard is one of the nicest around.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business