“An excellent stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manassas, Virginia
“An excellent stay!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My mother came to visit my sister and I who both live in the Washington DC metro area. We decided to go to a concert at the Warner Theatre nearby and stay downtown for the night. Since the Willard is a pretty historic and famous landmark close the White House we chose this hotel. It was WONDERFUL. Upon our arrival the room wasn't quite ready, so after apologizing for the inconvenience they asked if we would like to enjoy a complimentary cocktail at the bar while we waited. We took them up on the offer and went to the Round Robin bar just off the lobby - fantastic! Great service, great atmosphere. I received a text when my room was ready and we headed to our room. It was a very nice spacious room with very comfortable beds. Later in the evening we asked about reservations for Brunch Sunday morning at the Café du Parc. The restaurant was already closed but they still managed to get us penciled in for 12pm. I can not say enough about how hospitable all the staff we came into contact were - something Washington DC is not necessarily known for. This beautiful hotel is great for visitors and locals alike. And if you are interested in its history- there's even a little museum off of the north elevator banks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Willard InterContinental. I am happy that we were able to take part in the memories made during your mom’s visit. It’s nice to get away, even if it’s just across the bridge. Nothing like a staycation. Café du Parc outdoor seating is officially open! We would love to welcome you back for brunch on the terrace. We have asked our concierge to arrange for some warmer weather as we are ready to say goodbye to the winter! Hope you and your sister enjoy the Cherry Blossom festivities.

Patrick Birchall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The Willard is a superior property that really manages to combine old world charm with contemporary expectations. It is a beautiful property with well appointed rooms, fantastic location, and a wonderful bar called the Round Robin. The place is drenched with history. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joe v
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Willard and your kindness with this review. We love to be associated with words such as, “superior.” Isn’t it amazing how some of the world’s most famous leaders have sat in that very bar? Come back this summer for a Nats vs. Mets game! We’ll have a cold drink waiting for you at the bar.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed here to be close to the White House and the subway. Our white house tour was changed to another day and the subway was no closer than just walking to the Smithsonian. They made it sound like the Metro was closer than it was. Like all expensive hotels you have to pay for everything, no free internet here and everyone has there hand out for a tip. You can't park your own car so in addition to paying $45 to park you had to tip the guy to get the car. We tried to take our bags up to our room to save that tip and were told "that's not how we do it here." The front desk told me otherwise. I think they just wanted their tips. We are not rich and could only afford to stay there on a weekend night for the special occasion of going to see the white house. As it turned out our tickets were changed so we still ended up having to take the metro in for the early 8 am tour on another day.

We paid the $45 for high tea. The atmosphere was wonderful but the sandwiches and pastries were stale. How disappointing to sped all that money on stale food, The room was nice but very small and on a low floor of course. Us poor folks would never get the nice rooms higher up. The room was strangely shaped. Upon check out she tried to charge me for something from the mini bar that wasn't even there and for internet. We knew better than to do any of those things. Our money went into the pockets of all the staff with their hands out. Some of the rooms on line were $800-1600 a night and I am sure the more expensive rooms were not even advertised for people like us. You would think they could pay the staff enough that they wouldn't be expecting someone like me who probably makes less than they do to provide the tip.

All in all it was quite a disappointment and I felt lied to about the distance to the Metro.

Room Tip: Try staying somewhere else in the area. It will still cost a lot but not kill you like this place d...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Barbara B
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Willard. I truly appreciate your comments and the opportunity to address your concerns. The closest metro station is Metro Center which is one block away. However, walking one block on these cold days can seem like an eternity! We would have been more than happy to place you on a higher floor. Please consider becoming an IHG Rewards Club member. Being an IHG Rewards member has many perks such as free internet, room upgrades and complimentary newspaper just to name a few. Assisting our guests is something that we enjoy and apologize if that came off as being aggressive. I hope to welcome you back to the Willard soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I just spent two nights at this lovely hotel. It is in a great location, very close to the White House and the National Mall. The lobby and rooms are very beautiful, clean, and comfortable. The room and bathroom were more then enough space. I also enjoyed the Keurig Coffee Maker in the room. The staff was great, helpful, and very kinda without being intrusive at all. I did not eat at the restaurant or bar and cannot comment on those. This was a great place for me to stay in this area. It is one of the more reasonable priced historic hotels downtown, and that is what you are looking for do not hesitate! For free internet, just sign up to be a member of the InterContinental Hotels Group! Overall a good option, if you are ok with not being 'blown away', but completely satisfied and happy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank meg043
Thank you for your positive remarks. I’m glad that we were able to satisfy your lodging needs and expectations. I wish we could have given you a break from the cold Colorado weather. You’ll have to come back in the Spring or Summer and enjoy a meal out on the Café du Parc terrace. Looking forward to seeing you again. Go Broncos!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Can't being to put into words how much my family and I love this place. The holidays are so beautiful at the hotel, they decorate so well, so beautiful. Room service breakfast AND lunch...yes we splurged but it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! So close to all the monuments and museums, it's in the epicenter of DC but never noisy, which was lovely. They were so accommodating with getting us adjoining rooms and the views?! Spectacular! There's views of the Washington Monument AND the Capital! I can't say enough. We are so pleased....it is the only place we will EVER stay in DC...love love love you guys!

Room Tip: Splurge, if you can, and get a suite--you WON'T be disappointed in the slightest! Phenomenal.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank emgard793
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2014

First, the hotel is beautiful, historic, amazingly located, and a valuable landmark. We had, on balance, a good stay at the Willard February 19th and 20th.
Now, to the unfortunate bits.
The Willard caused us real embarrassment, and most unexpectedly, treated us as if we were guests at a much lower rate hotel.
When I called to reserve my room, I discussed with the representative that this was a very special trip, as we were coming to the District to be married. My beloved had never been to DC, and I asked if a room with a view of the Ellipse or Pennsylvania Avenue were possible. I was assured that, not only was it possible, she would assure that this was the kind of view we'd have. On check-in, we found ourselves in room 943, facing a wall of windows on the building across F Street -- a large barren wall of windows and stone that made up our entire view. Here, we should say the room was comfortable and well appointed. Amenities were fine. Furniture, while a bit crowded, was acceptable and comfortable. But that damned view (or lack thereof).
Speaking of check-in, the helpful and pleasant clerk could not find my reservation, asking me repeatedly to spell my name. He found us, and assured us all was well. He asked which, if any, papers we'd like delivered; I responded the Washington Post. I could have said, "The Vatican Rag", as it made no difference: no paper ever arrived.
As noted, I'd told the representative this was a special stay, and to my amazement, another representative called me days after making my reservation to discuss my "special day", and why we were coming to Washington and the Willard. This becomes more interesting when you learn that, on our last evening, the evening of our ceremony, we returned to the room after dinner to find a bottle of Champaign on ice and six luscious chocolate-dipped strawberries. On the plate was "Congratulations" in chocolate, but no card or other indication of its origin. We assumed this was a Willard amenity, in honor of our celebration, and a result of the call to discuss our day.
Imagine, then, our embarrassment when, the next day, my new sister in law asked if we'd gotten her gift she'd had delivered: Champaign and strawberries. Ducking and weaving, we thanked her profusely, and changed our pleasure from the hotel to her. Now, the Willard was beginning to appear a bit sneaky, after all there was no note or card, as she'd requested. The hotel took her credit.
More fabulously, consider my shock when, two days later, I got a call from my attorney, checking in, and asking if we'd received the Moet and strawberries he'd ordered for us! Now, I was, how to say, angry. Two orders for gifts, and the hotel delivered one, but acknowledged neither as being from the senders (and charged for both).
Never fear: my attorney has canceled his Amex charge for the Moet and fruit. But he's also vowed to avoid the Willard.
I never expected to stay at the Willard and come away so profoundly unhappy.
Perhaps it's because we used IHG points for much of our stay: maybe points are seen as worthy of scorn and insult. Perhaps . . .
I'm sorry this played out as it did. This was one of, if not "the", the most special days of my life. I wish the Willard had lived up to the rest of the adventure.
I'm sorry to complain about our stay; the stay to which we'd looked forward for months; the stay that was to be a real jewel in our wedding celebration. I'm sorry I stayed at the Willard.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the view you request. Don't trust the representative to carry through. All roo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bangtherocks
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Willard InterContinental Hotel. I truly appreciate your comments and the opportunity to address your concerns. I deeply apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced due to the inconsistent level of service received from our hotel staff. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We thank you for your loyalty towards IHG brands. I will reach out to you personally to discuss these issues. I would be delighted to personally take care of your next reservation, should your travels bring you back to Washington, D.C.

Westlake Village, California, USA
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is full of history, has a great restaurant, a fun bar (where you will often see politicians), provides superb service, and has nice clean rooms. It's just across the street from the White House, only a few blocks from the infamous Ebbit Grill, and a few blocks from a metro station.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the courtyard (they are quieter) or even F street.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business