“Location, Location, Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Grapevine, Texas
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

As members of the Ambassador Club, we had a free night at an Intercontinental and decided to use it at the Willard. We loved the hotel. The staff was great, the room was clean, and the location was perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lojo34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Berryville, Virginia
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Overall I was happy. One thing that did bother me was the calamari we had sent to the room. #1 under cooked and under battered with a small amount. #2 the way the hotel prices it. It's says $15 which isn't a terrible price. Little did we see the small print (so small you need a magnify glass) at the bottom of the page. Plus tax, plus tip, plus delivery charge, plus your whole wallet! Seriously, tip and delivery charge! Let me just hand you my wallet too. The end price for a less than satisfactory and simple dish was $30. No free wifi! That really bothered me. Yeah, it's not a big deal, but come on, we payed over $250 for one night and that still isn't complimentary? Motel 6 offers free wifi, why can't one of the most classic hotels in the nation offer it? As far as the room it was pretty nice. Plenty of room and the bathroom and shower were great. Comfy bed and plenty of channels on the television. I would return but only if I felt I was getting a good deal.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharp7
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Willard InterContinental Hotel. Room service delivery charge should be very clearly noted on the menu. We apologize it was not clear to you. We are thrilled that the comfort of your room met your expectations. We have a great IHG Rewards loyalty program which comes with numerous perks. Please sign up and let me know when you come back to Washington, D.C. I will ensure you feel you get great value for your money.

Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel for sure, but she's showing her age. The rooms are 4 star but I would not put them on the same level as 5 star hotels I've stayed at in NY or Chicago. The lobby and bar, the oldest in DC, are wonderful, and service at check-in and in the bar was very very good indeed. The breakfast restaurant is very ordinary and I caution you away from an expensive breakfast buffet where you'll find the hot foods, cold. Really bad; especially at $30+ for one person. Considering you'll pay $300 plus for a nice, but otherwise unspectacular room, there are better options in my estimation.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental. While I am glad that you enjoyed several aspects of the hotel; it is unfortunate you did not enjoy your breakfast - it is the most important meal of the day and we continuously are looking to place variety which will please our guests. We did have a complete guestroom renovation in 2012 and the project continued throughout 2013. We continue to invest in the hotel and I hope that you give the Willard another chance the next time you are in D.C.

Reston, VA
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We happened upon a great rate for my birthday so spent the night in DC. My husband arranged for an upgrade to a nicer room for just $75. He requested early check-in as well. When we arrived, the room was not ready, and was still not ready at 3PM, the usual check-in time. When we explained we had to be somewhere at 4, then had dinner plans, etc. (We didn't want to come back and get into our room for the first time at 10PM). They upgraded us to a 1 bedroom suite! It was spectacular! The main living space had a dining room, living room and office area (at least double the space of a typical room), and the bedroom was beautiful too. The master bath had a huge and elegant shower while the "guest" bath (yes, two!) was a full bath with tub/shower as well! I'll hope they're unable to provide my requested room next time too!

Room Tip: I believe the room we had was 1010 - supposedly the most requested room in the hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank t8temd
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 14, 2014

we stayed in this property on Jan 1 for two nights with family. It is classic nice hotel but needs refurbishment. It is within walking distance to most of attractions in DC such as white house, museums, capitol hills, etc.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sharaf2
Thank you for choosing the Willard InterContinental Hotel while visiting Washington, D.C. We are truly fortunate to be placed in such a prime location – I am happy you found it to be convenient. I apologize that our guestroom did not live up to your expectations. We did have a complete guestroom renovation in 2012 and continued the project throughout 2013. We most recently topped it off with installing new state of the art LED televisions, coffee machines, charge ports, scales and an upgraded internet bandwidth. Your feedback is very important and I will keep your comments in mind as we continue to invest in ways of improving the hotel.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

So I found out afterward that this is where diplomats and Washington elites stay when visiting DC. I am neither. I am a Platinum member of the IHG rewards program and from the moment I stepped out of the car I felt like I was royalty! People running to grab my bags, open doors...Yeah it was nice!

It is directly across from the White House so if you are there for sightseeing - you really can't lose. Middle of everything! Loyalty status recognized and rewarded with a huge suite...wow!

Hoping I can stay here again in the future!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 13, 2014

During our two week trip in North America we stayed two nights on Priority Club points in the historic Willard hotel. We received numerous recommendations from friends and family so we did not have any doubt staying here.

After a domestic flight we took a cab from Reagan airport which took under 20 minutes, the hotel is located within the city center and very near to the main museums and the White House.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the bellman who assisted us with our luggage. The lobby is quite old but has a very impressive décor. During the check in process we encountered a small problem which after the help of the Front Office Manager, Mr. Bunnik, was immediately resolved. He was extremely kind, helpful and professional.

As we arrived a bit early our booked room was not yet ready and the staff did not want us to wait too long for it so we were upgraded to one of their signature Willard rooms which are a lot bigger than the normal rooms.
Our room had a large marble bathroom with separate sink and shower. The bedroom had a large King sized bed and next to it was a sofa and a small seating area. We did not really have a view but that did not matter to us.

At that time WiFi internet was not free of charge and it was a bit on the expensive side. The chief concierge was extremely kind and helped us planning our short holiday to the point.

Overall a great hotel with superb location, concierge and staff. Rooms have an older décor but are very luxurious.

Room Tip: Willard Rooms are very big for US standards
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends