“Historic lodgings in ideal location”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Historic lodgings in ideal location”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Willard is a wonderful historic building in an ideal location for DC visitors -- walking distance from most must-see venues and a short cab ride from the rest. We missed the complimentary newspaper delivery a couple of our four mornings in the hotel, but what tourist has time to read visiting the Capitol?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your complimentary feedback. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our prime location and found it to be close to many of the local attractions that the city has to offer. I apologize that you did not receive your newspaper. In efforts to reduce our carbon footprint, we have started to offer our guests the Pressreader application on your phone. I will speak to the proper department to ensure newspaper requests are granted. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Patrick Birchall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sunbury, UK
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Willard and it was a awesome experience. The lobby is serene, the customer service is excellent. Any issues we had were sorted quickly and without fuss. Room was a bit dark but we had requested quiet and this was accomodated. Loved the round robin bar, steeped in history with the feeling that you are right in the middle of things in DC.

But please do something about the quality and cost of your internet - then I can't imagine visitors would have anything at all to complain about!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful 3-night stay at the Willard for the wedding of a close friend's daughter. We were already especially excited to be attending the event when we heard that the destination wedding was going to be at this very special and historic venue. The Willard was restored to greatness a few years back and it is truly magnificent, with a warm inviting atmosphere, the cozy Round Robin bar, and the traditional feel. The story goes that the word "lobbyist" in part stems from the time of President Grant when he would be thronged by those seeking his ear in the Willard Lobby. The lobby itself has a ceiling with the seals of all the states and a map provided by the front desk to go with it. The concierge is especially friendly and helpful as are the front desk staff and all the other employees, from the valets to the servers. The wedding ceremony went off without a hitch in the beautiful Crystal Room followed by the party in the Willard Room. The food was excellent and the event a big success. My compliments to the Willard for living up to our expectations, both in terms of the hotel itself and the proximity to all the amazing sites in D.C. and outstanding restaurants nearby, including Ebbet's where we enjoyed our post-wedding brunch on Sunday morning. While at the Willard, we really enjoyed the Newseum and visiting numerous Memorials (MLK, Korean, WW II, Lincoln, FDR) as we walked to Georgetown and back. All in all, a great time starting off with a truly great landmark hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your fantastic review and for recommending the Willard as your choice of hotel while visiting the Washington, D.C. area. We are delighted that your expectations were fulfilled by so many areas of the hotel. I am happy to hear that the wedding went flawlessly and please extend my congratulations to the happy couple. It truly is easy to navigate around this beautiful city from the hotel, whether for the attractions or the numerous culinary offerings. It sounds like you needed those cozy nights at the Round Robin after walking to Georgetown and back. I'm guessing you didn't need to utilize the gym that day! Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The concierge can get you anywhere you want.
The Hotel entrance is great, and the HARP from 1600 to 1700 daily is enchanting.
The elevators are a bit slow in coming, but in line with the peace and quite you feel in the hotel.
Senior staff are always hovering around trying to help

Room Tip: get a high room and you might be able to see the lincoln memorial
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PatrickBirchall, General Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Willard and for your kindness with this review. Each concierge at the Willard is a member of a prestigious organization known as Les Clefs d’Or. You can recognize this by the keys they display on the lapels of their uniforms. They truly have their fingers on the pulse of this city and are able to navigate you to any location. I am happy to announce that we are beginning an elevator renovation project at the end of December which we are very excited about and trust you are as well. Thank you once again and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Location can't be beat. Right by the White House/Pennsylvania Ave. Elegant old hotel with rooms to match. 3 blocks to one, 5 blocks to another, Metro station. No free internet anywhere. Hotel was pricey but I was using a free room nite so what the hey.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary feedback. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our prime location and found it to be close to many of the local attractions that the city has to offer. I am happy that you were able to redeem your complimentary stay and found that the Willard is worth splurging on every now and then. How many people can say that they have slept where Abraham Lincon, Julia Ward Howe and Martin Luther King, Jr. have slept! Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Willard last weekend with my sisters. I had been very excited because I had visited and lived in DC over the last 25 years and finally I was a visitor who needed to stay in a hotel and I was excited. From the moment I checked into two rooms and through three room changes, I found myself in a mediocre room with bad air handling and a view of the black mirrored Marriott next door. Fortunately for my sister's, their double queen room with a view was by far superior in all ways. I was sick of moving and asking for costly upgrades and resolved myself to what I got. I wanted to see the city!!! By the way, the hotel location is fabulous and the Robin's nest is a treat, but I was disappointed with my room, which is essential.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Catherine W
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Willard InterContinental. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular stay. We are proud of our level of service, cleanliness and quality of product as you experienced in your sister's room. I will speak with the appropriate departments to address these issues. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you and your sister’s back in the near future.

Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We spent our Christmas weekend in Washington D.C. last year. We stayed at The Willard Hotel for three nights. what an absolute delight it was. The room was large and airy and very well maintained. The staff is incredibly customer friendly. I valet parked my car with the Willard and could very easily get used to calling down for my car and having it waiting by the door when I got down there. Oh and I almost forgot; they serve a buffet breakfast that is beyond comparison. A bit pricey but worth every nickel for the food you get.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. With elaborately-woven wreaths, sparkling White House tree ornaments, afternoon tea in Peacock Alley and carolers singing in the lobby; the Willard has no shortage of festive traditions to keep visitors entertained over the holidays. We hope to welcome you and your loved ones back for another magical season here at the Willard.