“Classy All the Way”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Indialantic, FL
“Classy All the Way”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is 1st class all the way. The lobby is exquisite. The rooms are great. Service is also very good. I needed room service and they sent someone up immediately. The location is also great. It's located next to the White House and walking distance to the business district, restaurants, and the Metro. Overnight parking is a bit expensive but that's the way it is in most big cities. The lobby staff is a bit stuffy but fits the classy atmosphere.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank soigal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

From the super friendly and helpful staff at check-in to the elegant room and comfortable bed, to the on-site history museum, to the Red Door spa and free gym, to the state seals on the ceiling in the lobby, to the great location on Penn next to the White House, nothing beats the Willard. It's my favorite hotel in DC and one of the best in the country.

My only criticism is that my 10th floor king room had two adjoining doors on either side, and the noise from the adjoining rooms was awful. I heard every conversation held at normal volume in the next room, and even the sound of their suitcases being zipped. More soundproofing is needed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Va
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Willard on Dec. 21. We caught the train from Lynchburg, Va. in order to see a show at The Kennedy Center that evening. We had always wanted to stay at The Willard, but the price was always a deterrant. But we found the rates before Christmas to be doable and booked a room. The hotel is truly lovely - you just don't see new hotels with the beautifully decorated ceilings and elegant feel that this hotel has. We were warmly greeted at the front desk and even though we were arriving before checkin time - our room was ready for us. We chose the least expensive room and were not disappointed. The room was huge, clean, and decorated very attractively. We had a window that looked out onto the street with almost a little balcony outside. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bath was a reasonable size with nice bath products. The concierge we met with couldn't have been nicer and recommended good places to have lunch as well as providing us with free tickets to the Senate & House of Representatives. We very much enjoyed talking with him! The lobby was decorated for Christmas and was lovely,including a large Christmas tree. On Friday evening, there were carollers performing in the lobby - such a nice touch after a day of sightseeing - made us feel very festive. The location couldn't have been better for seeing all the sights. The only complaint we would have was breakfast. It was included in out package, but it wasn't as nice as I would have pictured the Willard serving, and the breakfast room feels more like a coffee shop, not an elegant restaurant. We had an excellent waiter, but breakfast just wasn't what I would have expected from a hotel as nice as The Willard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Please ignore the review that thought this hotel had poor serice. My partner and I checked in with substantial luggage and work materials and the young man checking us in told us that he would upgrade us to a larger room without us even having to ask (or pay). Every element of service was exactly what you would expect at a hotel like the Willard. The room was beautiful and spacious. Again, just what you expect. The location is incredible as you can walk to anyplace you want to go and if you want to go farther, the Metro is very near. My only negative comment is that a decision was made to move the dining room out of the Willard Room. The present dining room is simply not elegant enough for this hotel, the food and service was very good, but the setting was not up to par.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Coxs Creek, Kentucky
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful, a block from the white house, large rooms, comfortable beds. Could have better water pressure. This hotel has no hot tub or pool. You're paying for ambiance, history, and the chance to sight famous people in the bar or lobby.

1 Thank Madeline N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Madeline N,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My stay at the Willard, albeit brief, was most enjoyable. The property was sumptuous in design, with a spectacular lobby and beautiful rooms; the John F.Kennedy suite in which I stayed was superb. With an attached room, there more was more than enough space for the entire family, and the oval shaped living room provided much mirth. Service was pretty good; the front desk staff were polite but lacked the personal touch that we experienced at some of the other hotels we stayed at in the US. The location of the hotel was also fantastic and the view, with parts of the washington monument and capitol in sight, was wonderful. Overall, it was a very nice hotel experience in Washington DC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Pros:
- Within walking distance to several food options
- Clean rooms
- Nice gym
- Historic property

Cons:
-Ridiculously poor treatment of platinum guests
- Rude/uncaring front desk employees
- Thin walls
- Unresponsive management

This hotel is located downtown near many of DC's attractions.  The hotel has a lot of interesting history.  There is a history book in the guest rooms that tells of the famous people that have visited and historic events that have taken place here.  There are many food options within walking distance and the hotel has a very nice, large gym with modern equipment.

On to the bad, and it mainly comes down to the employees.  Upon entering the hotel I was immediately impressed by the lobby, but that's where impressive ended.  The front desk clerk that checked me in looked like she couldn't possibly care less and just wanted to go home.  Without looking up from the computer screen, she mumbled something about my priority club number being on file.  That was the extent of appreciation for being a platinum member and I received no upgrade or bonuses whatsoever.  Upon arrival at my freezing cold room, I immediately turned up the heat.  After about an hour, I realized that the heat was not working at all.  I called for a maintenance person to fix it.  He arrived very promptly, fixed it quickly and was very polite.  He was certainly a bright spot in the service.  It took another hour for the room to warm up.

In the morning I found that my flight was delayed.  I called the front desk, asking for a one hour late checkout.  The front desk clerk very rudely told me that the hotel was full and that my request for a ONE HOUR late checkout was denied.  She said I could put my bags at the front desk if I wished.  I reminded her that I was a platinum guest and she informed me that my status was irrelevant.  My next call was to the front desk manager who was polite and told me that it wasn't a problem and he would take care of it.

A few days after my stay I received a survey from the hotel and listed the above problems.  I checked the box that I would like to be contacted by hotel management, but never heard back.

Overall, I don't regret staying here just for the experience of staying at a historic hotel, but I would never even consider returning.  The service at this hotel is embarrassing compared to other luxury hotels in the area, and obviously platinum status has no meaning here.

Room Tip: Go to the St. Regis or W