WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Antioch, Illinois
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We picked this hotel after much review on trip advisor and other sites. Our White House Tour was the first one of the day and we wanted to be close by so we had no worries about making our designated timeframe. You cannot go wrong by choosing this hotel. It is close to everything you need and is right next door to the White House. If you are looking for a very clean, comfortable and centrally located place to stay this is an excellent choice. This was our first site seeing trip to D.C. So it was important to us to do it right the first time. Yes, it is a little pricy but the true measure for us was would we return and did we feel that this was a good value overall. Yes to both. The room was nice and clean and everyone was very accommodating. A safe bet for those first time visitors.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I were in DC for a few days for the National Treelighting Ceremony and wanted to stay near the White House and Presidental Park. What a perfect location this was. We also got a great rate for a delux king room. Because the rate was so good I was exepcting the room to be fairly ordinary but we found ourselves in a large comfortable room, with a beautiful view, king bed, seating area with couch, two chairs, coffee table and side tables, a granite counter top and cabinets, equipped with coffee maker, cups, glasses, water and mini-fridge. There was also a nice desk set up with a charging panel for Iphones and Ipads. There was a charge for internet but it was reasonable and could be purchased in hourly, daily or multi day packages. The bathroom was not particularly large but it was modern and had a very nice shower. We only ate at the hotel one day for breakfast because there are so many other restaurants and cafes nearby. There was a room just off the lobby(might be called the hotel museum) with lots of old pictures that I would recommend checking out if you're interested in history.
The hotel itself is quite old and proud of its history, displaying pictures of many former presidents and politically important people. The lobby always seems to be bustling with people. We were there in early December and the hotel was decorated for Christmas, with garland and trees and even official White House ornaments. There were at least two or three Choirs on the lobby everyday singing carols and entertaining guests.
Not only was the hotel lovely but the service was exceptional from the doorman to the front desk to the maid service......polite, friendly and accomodating.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just spent 4 nights at the Williard in DC. A lovely hotel in a great location..the White house is around the corner and a brilliant shopping district with shops, stores, bars and restaurants is within a 15 min walk.

The room we booked was the executive suite with loads of space and 2 bathrooms alongwith a bar and dining area. The hotel itself has a lovely tea room for afternoon tea alongwith the Round Robin bar ..DC`s oldest bar where even Lincoln drank !!!!

Room Tip: There is no pool hence my rating. Choose a higher floor and get a view of the Monument and Pennsylva...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Loved, loved, LLLOVED this hotel... the price is right, the location could not be better, the holiday decoration and entertainment were all very pleasant and included live music in the lobby and even an NRA conference (bless their hearts)... The full gym worked very well and so did the luxurious separate male and female sauna/steam rooms, showers and changing areas equipped with all you need to well and properly freshen up... the spa services did not include nose and ear waxing but you can get a massage, your hair done and other basic spa treatments and services. The rooms are very large, beds comfortable, cable channels plentiful, a/c controllable and in room amenities more than we required. The common areas are aging but classy and I loved the imperial decor throughout. The restaurants are well rated and serve food well into the hours we needed and they even have 24hr room service.

Within walking distance to all attractions, with the White House directly across the street, restaurants galore, easy access to china town and the Dupont circle areas...

Overall one of the best city stays we have had... highly reccomended

Room Tip: I think upgrades are entirely unnecessary unless you feel like treating yourself to a sumptuous suit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Been to the Willard many times, but finally grabbed a king room for an anniversary. Very spacious, comfortable bed. I recommend asking for a room away from 14th St. side because of heavy bus traffic. Staff is always top notch even with an NRA media event that had protestors outside and armed guards inside that required you to prove you were a guest even crossing the lobby. At least they were professional about it. Breakfast is excellent. Beautiful historic hotel with unbeatable location. Even found a $179 rate so it doesn't have to be expensive.

southern california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed for two nights the week before Christmas. I was on official government travel and got a $183+tax rate at this hotel. My group was staying next door at the Marriott but I am allergic to the air freshener that is used throughout Marriott properties so I was very happy to get the govt rate at the Willard. I asked for a quiet room and was put in a King room on the 9th floor with a view of the courtyard. It was relatively quiet. Unlike the previous review, my HVAC worked just fine. However I noticed that it had a strange noise the last night I was there so I turned it off but did not notice a problem with temperature. When I checked into the room, housekeeping had not cleaned out the fridge - someone had left a container of takeout food in the fridge. I called down to the front desk and got profuse apologies - they came right away and took care of it and then later sent me complimentary fruit and water as a peace offering. This was a nice touch except that I had just gone out and bought a carton of bottled water and some apples so I did not have need for the hotel snack. They also comped my minibar item. My bed was nicely defeathered upon request but they only had one thin blanket on the bed and it was cold the first night. They brought me two additional wool blankets and they worked well. The property has a slight odor but to me it smells like pine trees or rosemary. Something green. I did not mind it. Much preferable to the cloying floral smell at the Marriott and also very understated. My room was lovely it had an entryway with a marble table and a nook with the minibar and cabinets and closet. Then it opened up into the bedroom with a king bed and desk. It was a roomy space for a single traveler. The bathroom was pretty standard but nice. I used the gym both days it was well-equipped and not very heavily used. It is open 24 hours and free to hotel guests. It has 3 lifefitness ellipticals, many treadmills, a few bikes, some stacked weights and various exercise balls. You have to walk through the spa area to get to the fitness center. The only annoying thing is that the spa stinks of perfume type fragrance but the gym itself is not overpowering with this smell. I would not be interested in the spa due to the smell (I have a very acute sense of smell as you can probably tell from my posts). I was happy the rest of the property does not have this issue. I ordered room service and the food came promptly and was well-prepared. I did not eat at the hotel but there are so many restaurants in the area I had no problem finding good dining options. Internet wifi in the room costs $10.95 but works quite well. This is easily covered for me as a business expense outside of my meal per diem and I do not mind paying it especially with the great room rate. The bell staff is plentiful and very helpful. Taxis abound right outside the door. Front desk staff are also very nice and helpful. I was very happy with my stay and would come back again especially at the government rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank businesstraveller2
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Wife and I stayed between December 14th (last Friday) and the 21st (today). We originally booked a Willard room with two (2) Queen beds, but we didn't get that. Instead, we got one (1) bed with an option for two (2) full-size bed. We took the 1 king bed. The staff is friendly and cordial, the room spacious and the bathroom tiled with walk in tiled shower with plenty of water pressure.

The thermostat wasn't working when we arrived, but a call fixed the problem by the time we got back from a late dinner. Then the next two nights we slept without a blanket (and sometimes a sheet) as the room's lowest temp attainable was ABOVE 75ºF. I'm a Yankee and I like it cold, and 18 years of marriage has the wife accustomed to this.

A second call to the hotel's maintenance on Sunday night resolved the issue and it finally got below 70ºF in the room. Then on Monday morning the thermostat was out again. We forgot about this after the blood-curdling scream coming from somewhere on the 10th floor (where our room was). No follow up on it, and housekeeping seemed surprised when we mentioned it to her that Monday afternoon. That night some TV station aired The Shining. How funny was that!?!

The thermostat resumed working on Tuesday morning without any intervention by anyone and worked through the rest of the visit. Other than that, the room was great. No options to upgrade during check-in, which we were told we could by the Concierge via an email, which suggested a complimentary, but the only thing offered was for nearly double the existing rate. Too bad.

NOTE: At the time of making paid-in-advance reservations you can get an opportunity for substantial discounting on upgrades above the entry-level suite. I missed this opportunity by waiting until I checked-in a month later. Bad on me!

Getting a drink at the Willard is not an easy thing. I think the Round Robin caters to anyone, with no preference to hotel guests. This can be said by the hoard in the lobby each night when caroling is taking place. In fact, on Sunday night the RR had 2/3 of its areas closed. We tried for an hour to get a drink (from anyone) and failed. This was at 7PM. Plenty of drinkers at that time, which spilled over to the Cafe du Parc. We went into the CdP and they only offered drinks in standing-only remaining accommodations. We were not let into the dining area unless we planned on dinner.

We spent a second hour in the lobby area offset section (looks like a living room), but unlike Friday night never got served. After two frustrating hours we went to bed sober, unlike many of the non-guests pushing their way into the RR. I told my wife I felt like I was a foreigner in my own country. I never felt like that before. LOL

The housekeeping was excellent with clean bed linens each day and plenty of towels in the bath. The Concierge arranged for a Red Top back to Dulles this morning (Thank You, Robert Watson!), and that is all I can say. Next D.C. trip the wife and I agreed to try another hotel, though.

The idea of a 4-5 star hotel marketing the nickel & dime on everything is a bit petty. For instance, the $0.25/minute to use one of the PCs in the business office was comical in professional marketing, IMO.

Room Tip: Find alternate Internet connectivity. $60/device for the week is more than what Delta charges on fli...
1 Thank travel2k12moose