“Awful/Disappointing Tea Time (Cherry Blossoms)”

Willard InterContinental Washington
Ranked #18 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Tea Time was a HUGE disappointment (see photos) and $$$. The entertainment was nice and fit for the occasion, however the food was not up to standard. This was a special event for my mother and me. It was her birthday and we were also enjoying the cherry blossom festivities.
When the tea tier arrived we were "SHOCKED", to have a PB&J sandwich as one of the tea sandwiches. Why??? Tea time was nothing special. The staff walked through the peacock alley area carrying clothes hangers on both arms and other items that looked like table cloths draped over their arms. So much for the tea atmosphere. I will not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I did not require hotel stay.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank tea16

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed at the Willard for 5 days and it could not have been nicer. Our room had two double beds and was extremely spacious. Everything was very clean and immaculate. The beds had clean sheets and duvets and the bathrooms featured marble tiles, seperate shower/tub combos. If you're traveling with kids or just trying to save some money on food, be VERY careful with the mini-bar-it's not meant to be used as a mini-fridge so anything that gets moved around you'll get charged for (we were warned about this), but you can reserve a mini-refrigerator to use. The lobby has a red carpeted hallway where you can sit and listen to harp music and have afternoon tea. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Also, this hotel is only 2 blocks from the White House and within walking distance to all the museums and monuments on the National Mall. I would definetley stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank screennamesf
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel was very well located near all the main sights of DC. Our room was very spacious and comfortable and we were made to feel welcome at this hotel.
Breakfast was good, lots of choice.
The concierge was very helpful with restaurant bookings, tour info etc.

Would recommend if you want a centrally located hotel with lots of character.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tinabee
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Elegant hotel in a great location if you are a tourist BUT for the price we paid (we had a suite for the three of us), we've stayed at hotels with better amenities and definitely much better service. The frontdesk staff were helpful but the rest of the service was disappointing for this standard of hotel, especially in the Cafe du Parc where breakfast was served and housekeeping. Some staff were barely polite and most were cold and impersonal. I expect more of an Intercontinental.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jysh55
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Jysh55,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I was lucky enough to be given an upgrade to an oval suite which was a very impressive set of rooms and provided a very pleasant base for my 2 night stay. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The lounge was spacious and light filled with plenty of windows. The bathroom had everything that was needed. My room service dinner was delivered quickly and was hot and of a high quality.
The reason I don't give it a higher rating is because:
- staff were polite, but impersonal and a little cold
- lobby was very crowded and noisey
- charge for wifi and for use of PCs in the business centre
- windows aren't double glazed, you could clearly hear the commentary from the hop on hop off buses passing the hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank HappyTravels-7
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Soooo....let's just say this hotel almost got a terrible rating because of their incompetent, lousy and (according to my mom) racist Valet staff.

My mom and I stayed here the last night of our weekend in DC. She wanted to treat herself and be close to the monuments since she wanted to see the MLK memorial. When we pulled up, the valets were standing in the area that is usually used for loading and unloading. I mean literally, THEY WERE STANDING in the way to such an effect that my mom had to drive around them to park the car. Now also, when you go to any hotel that has valet like that, generally they will approach your car to ask exactly what you need. Did we get this? No. No one said a word to us until we were up the stairs with our luggage. Too late at that point buddy!!!! We go upstairs to drop our luggage off. We come back outside and we are immediately approached by a man demanding to know if "that was our car" and "you only have 4 minutes to park here". WTH!! There is a sign plain as day stating "15 min loading and unloading". Since when do you have rank over city parking rules? When my mom tries to tell the guy no one approached us about the car, he proceeds to remove some slip of paper that was placed on our windshield without acknowledging my mother at all. When I tried to get his attention he rolled his eyes and kept moving. Maaaan I digress because it was so much more at that point and classy Tunicia was about to go with the wind and get real stupid in front of all those people eating at the Cafe.

For the good....this hotel is beautiful, you can tell it is historic. The staff (on the inside of the hotel) bend over backwards to make sure you have everything you need. The beds are plush and fluffy like clouds. Normally when you pay more for a hotel you don't get a lot of TV channels....the tv selection was plentiful. The bathroom even had a bidet...makes me wonder the last time it was used lol. We had breakfast (compliments of the hotel because of the wack valet staff). It was good and filling. If we would have normally paid for it that breakfast would have totaled $50. Yikes!

I recommend this place if you want to be within walking distance of monuments, etc. I hope you don't have to park a car there though because they apparently ignore you if you're not driving a mercedes, bmw, etc of the like...LOL (that's my mom's observation because we had a rental and it was a toyota corolla). Parking is $39/night. No free wi-fi....nowadays this needs to be a norm....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Yes, it's pricey. Yes, they're on the tacky side not offering free wi-fi or even free internet in the business center when I'm already paying $400 a night (it cheapens their brand to nickle & dime you that way). But wow, what a hotel! Clean, well-maintained--presentation, presentation, presentation. I think I've finally found a regular hotel in the city. Service was wonderful (when I checked out, the desk clerk remembered what I had come to the District for & asked me how the meeting went) and the location is ideal. If you can afford it, this is the way to go.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business