“Great hotel - poor front desk staff”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #91 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
london
“Great hotel - poor front desk staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

This a great hotel and I was really pleased I managed to get a good deal for our two night stay, unfortunately the front desk staff let this hotel down. They were unfriendly and unhelpful and not at all apologetic for making me wait over two hours for a room. When I arrived I realised I had lost my credit card so needed to cancel it asap and my cell phone was battling with dialling international numbers - I went to the front desk to ask for help and was told there was nothing they could do I would have to make the calls from my room - all very well if I actually had a room to call from. Not what I expect from any hotel. The hotel itself is spacious, clean and has an excellent bar and lobby area. I didn't use the restaurant as it was pricey but it looked really nice. The starbucks over the road was a bonus and the location is excellent about a 5 - 10 minute walk to Capitol Hill. The room was big and clean. Internet is charged for as is parking but that seems usual for DC. There was always a taxi on hand when we needed one and Tyrone the doorman was excellent able to help with any questions and really friendly. A pity that helpful front desk staff is something I have come to expect from a hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fayepottie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cherry Hill NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed 2 nights myself and my 14 year old son. The Hotel was clean, well maintained and very comfortable. Staff were very helpful with sightseeing tips and transportation options. Hotel is very close to Union Station, and the mall both were an easy walk. Getting around was very easy. Eating in the hotel was costly for what you got. The bar offered some alternatives. Parking was also a hefty $35 per nite. Internet was available for an extra fee. Hotel has a decent fitness center for guest use.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackie_D_NJ
Amesbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

My wife and I traveled there so I could cover the Frozen Four (men's D-1 college hockey championship) in April, making it a "working vacation." During the days, we walked around the city, using the Union Station metro stop - just two blocks away - as our jumping-off point each day. I bundled this

• Stayed April 2009
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

Stayed Easter weekend (ar Friday; lv Sunday). VERY pleased.

Elegant, comfortable lobby (waterfall fountain not working though). Multiple fast elevators.

Excellent, clean non-smoking room with king bed, marble bathroom. New large-screen LED or plasma TV. (Wish TV remote had had a "sleep" button.) View of the capitol dome from room.

Great rate ($99/night from their website at this time of year). Originally booked at a higher rate via Expedia. Friend told me about the website rate. When I cancelled online with Expedia I lost $25 -- in spite of the fact that this was several MONTHS before check in. (Read the fine print before booking with Expedia! To cancel, call them rather than doing it online.)

Very friendly/helpful staff. Easy walk (a bit more than two blocks) from Union Station (Amtrak and Metro stop). Very good breakfast buttet and menu at hotel restaurant. (Nearby Dubliner Tavern was great for lunch.)

They were happy to stow our bags before check-in and after checkout in large, secure storage area.

Would return without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

This is an extremely nice hotel. I stayed in a corner room with a king size bed. The bed was comfortable. The windows were amazing. The location is like 3 blocks from union station, the view on upper floors is of the capitol building, and is awesome. The bathroom had hot water, immediately, and great water pressure. Everything was spotless. I paid about what I would expect to pay for a crappy chain hotel, and I got this! It was modern, everything was new. The food was good. The room smelled new. The staff was helpful & professional, they even allowed a late checkout (we'd had a bit too much to drink the night before), and held out bags on Sunday for no charge.

There is ONE drawback. Light sleepers & young lovers beware- the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

We arrived about 5 PM on the day after the Presidential Inauguration, for the National March for Life events. The location is fantastic: 3 short blocks (or 2 long ones) from Union Station.

Check in was smooth and we were given a nice "Deluxe King" with a view of the Capitol, room 1201. This room may have been the best location on the floor - across but down from the elevators. We did not hear any noise from the other rooms (or the teens, mentioned below). There were some sirens from outside, but I can't remember hearing any at all after we went to sleep --- I was probably too tired.

There were other people there for the March and some who had stayed after the Inauguration. The staff was considerate and treated us all well. I was impressed with their patience with and accommodation for the youth groups (one pro-life group and one with Obama Inauguration gear). Even with all the teens going up and down, we never had to wait for an elevator.

The bed was very comfortable with the cuddly duvet wrapped in snow white sheets and I appreciated the king sized pillows. The room temperature was adjustable and also very comfortable. We enjoyed the club chairs, the ottoman, and the large flat screen TV.

I used the business center twice. Every thing worked well and the staff was helpful.

The main problem was the lack of room service or vending after 11 PM. I imagine that most visitors are tourists like us, who come back late in the evening. We would have definitely ordered room service on the last two nights if available.

There was also the problem of low staffing in the restaurant on Thursday night. The food was very good, but we did have to wait longer than expected for our service. I highly recommend the tomato soup. The fried potatoes were attractively served in a stemmed glass.

We ordered room service breakfast, which was delivered quickly and piping hot.

Finally, the tub was not as clean as it should have been. After walking all over town in the cold weather, I took advantage of the deep soaking tub. While sitting in the tub, (and only while sitting in the tub) the mold on the sliding door guide looked bad awful looking. There was also a small amount of mold visible just inside the overflow drain. The rest of the metal work, the tile grout and the doors were spotless.

I've stayed at several hotels in DC over the years, but this is the first time that I've found a hotel that I believe I will try to stay at again.

• Liked — Location, bed
  • Disliked — Lack of food, beverage after 11 PM.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

My parlor room was spacious, well appointed, and had one of the most spectacular views of the Capital dome. It was a great visit!

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business