“Great Hotel, Great Price, Great Location”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #91 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Hotel, Great Price, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

This is an extremely nice hotel. I stayed in a corner room with a king size bed. The bed was comfortable. The windows were amazing. The location is like 3 blocks from union station, the view on upper floors is of the capitol building, and is awesome. The bathroom had hot water, immediately, and great water pressure. Everything was spotless. I paid about what I would expect to pay for a crappy chain hotel, and I got this! It was modern, everything was new. The food was good. The room smelled new. The staff was helpful & professional, they even allowed a late checkout (we'd had a bit too much to drink the night before), and held out bags on Sunday for no charge.

There is ONE drawback. Light sleepers & young lovers beware- the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

We arrived about 5 PM on the day after the Presidential Inauguration, for the National March for Life events. The location is fantastic: 3 short blocks (or 2 long ones) from Union Station.

Check in was smooth and we were given a nice "Deluxe King" with a view of the Capitol, room 1201. This room may have been the best location on the floor - across but down from the elevators. We did not hear any noise from the other rooms (or the teens, mentioned below). There were some sirens from outside, but I can't remember hearing any at all after we went to sleep --- I was probably too tired.

There were other people there for the March and some who had stayed after the Inauguration. The staff was considerate and treated us all well. I was impressed with their patience with and accommodation for the youth groups (one pro-life group and one with Obama Inauguration gear). Even with all the teens going up and down, we never had to wait for an elevator.

The bed was very comfortable with the cuddly duvet wrapped in snow white sheets and I appreciated the king sized pillows. The room temperature was adjustable and also very comfortable. We enjoyed the club chairs, the ottoman, and the large flat screen TV.

I used the business center twice. Every thing worked well and the staff was helpful.

The main problem was the lack of room service or vending after 11 PM. I imagine that most visitors are tourists like us, who come back late in the evening. We would have definitely ordered room service on the last two nights if available.

There was also the problem of low staffing in the restaurant on Thursday night. The food was very good, but we did have to wait longer than expected for our service. I highly recommend the tomato soup. The fried potatoes were attractively served in a stemmed glass.

We ordered room service breakfast, which was delivered quickly and piping hot.

Finally, the tub was not as clean as it should have been. After walking all over town in the cold weather, I took advantage of the deep soaking tub. While sitting in the tub, (and only while sitting in the tub) the mold on the sliding door guide looked bad awful looking. There was also a small amount of mold visible just inside the overflow drain. The rest of the metal work, the tile grout and the doors were spotless.

I've stayed at several hotels in DC over the years, but this is the first time that I've found a hotel that I believe I will try to stay at again.

• Liked — Location, bed
  • Disliked — Lack of food, beverage after 11 PM.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

My parlor room was spacious, well appointed, and had one of the most spectacular views of the Capital dome. It was a great visit!

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2009

The hotel room was lovely, we paid harly anything to stay for 2 night. We were sleeping on a sofa bed which we were a bit worried about at first but as we walked into the room it was gorgeous. The room was massive with lovely views and it was very modern. The bathroom was massive to and the sofa bed was just as good as a double bed! the only problem with this hotel is that if you turn left out of the hotel and walk up a bit there is the homeless shelter about a 2 minute walk away so there are a lot of homeless people around which is quite scary at night. There is a liquor shop right by it too so the homeless people all hang out by there so you dont feel overly safe. The other problem we had was that there was building work being down on the building next door, drilling early in the morning woke us up both mornings which wasnt nice then as we were checking out a man in front was checking in and the reception lady told the man about the drilling and moved him to another hotel, we never got told about it at all or given the option to move which was disappointing.

Overall this hotel was lovely and the room was very nice, the only downfall was the drilling and being so close to a homeless shelter

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

It was a best value and comfort hotel in the Capitol Hill. I checked in on 12/28/08 and out on 12/30/08 with $88/day. The hotel is clean and looks a newly renovated.
Staffs were friendly and professional. Bathroom is larger and clean. Comfortable beds with a larger flat screen TV.
The hotel is close to the Capitol about 15 min walks.
The hotel charged $34 overnight parking. The parking meters are 15 min/quarter($0.25) with 2 hours limits from 7am - 7pm on the street except Sunday. There is a parking garage charging $15 from 7am - 7pm under the building of 601 New Jersey Ave. NW on the side of across street.
Basically I paid $15 to park my car in the garage and walked to the museums. In the evening, I took my car out before 7pm to the dinner in the 7th street at H street. There are many restaurants for the locals and tourist. Just be patient to look for parking space and it is free after 7pm. There is a Starbucks across the Ave for your breakfast.
I enjoyed my Washington DC trip and was happy to stay with Washington Court Hotel.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Peaknpeak
Cottonwood, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

Our stay was wonderful. Great room, view and location. Staff was very nice. I think we were upgraded because the hotel was almost empty and I asked for a room with a view of the capitol and they had to change our room from an inside view. We also got a great price so I can't imagine our room would ever be $77. I'm pretty sure we were upgraded!

• Liked — location and view
  • Disliked — expensive internet
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2008

I regretably had a work confrence at the Washington Court Hotel. Althought the loby was impressive looking and the food was decent that is where it stopped. This hotel was seriously over priced. There was a significant amount of mold in the bathtub. The staff was incredubly rude on the phone and in person nor did they listen.

I requested a refrigerator for medical purposes. The woman told me they were only available for medical purposes. I repeated I needed the refrigerator for medical purposes. She said she would make a note in my records and when I got there they would see if one was available. I did not find her response to be helpful nor did she offer an alternative if a refrigerator was not available. Althought I did get a refrigerator I found the whole experience to leave me feeling devalued, frusterated, uncertain, worried, and wishing I did not have to book this hotel because of my work confrence.

I was awoken all 3 nights with the alarm going off at midnight. I was also awoken every 15-30 minutes by the doors in the hotel slamming shut or people talking in the hallway. I could hear the neighbors TV and talking. I left feeling exhausted from the lack of sleep.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU INTEND TO GET ANY SLEEP, WANT TO FEEL COMFORTABLE & CLEAN SHOWEREING, OR IF YOU VALUE ANY AMOUNT OF CUSTOMER SERVICE. In contrast I had a wonderful experience at Hotel Lombary which was almost 1/3 the cost and consistently phenomenal service and a clean bathroom. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HOTEL LOMBARDY as an alternative!!!!

• Liked — the look of the lobby
  • Disliked — almost everything what a miserable experience
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business