“Rude receptionist”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #93 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Unfriendly unwelcoming unhelpful reception staff.

Dining room staff the opposite. Very helpful and very friendly. Nice large airy courtyard space for dining room.

Rooms large. No view of anything but the street and the generators.

Bell boys also helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Tyler123

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel is very close to Capitol building and ideally located. I stayed here for a night.

The staff are courteous and helpful. The air conditioner in our room was not working and upon our request the engineer immediately attended and repaired it.

I had the continental buffet breakfast here (costing about USD 12.95). It was fair though I felt they could have given more varieties (may be as I am from India where breakfast is complimentary with lot more options).

I recommend this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel is very nice and clean. The staff was exceptionally friendly. There is a starbucks conveniently right across the street. The only thing I would advise people of is that walking from the Judiciary Square metro station there have been alot of shady people hanging out on street corners. The first night there were alot of emergency vehicles in one area between the metro stop and the hotel. Later I found out someone was stabbed there. The hotel is only a few blocks from the Capitol. So, I'm not sure sure how I would rate the location....it's close to the Capitol, but in a sketchy area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam041680
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Overall, this hotel is pretty large and open. The rooms are big and clean and the furniture is comfortable. Maintenance and upkeep need a little work. I stayed in room 803, which was a corner room with a nice view.

It looks as if there has been water damage in my room as the window sill is warped and the wallpaper bubbled. Several of the electric outlets either didn't work or didn't hold a plug. The 1980s brass is very worn out and in need of desperate updating. I was dismayed that the security bolt on the door knob did not line up with the hole in the door frame, making it useless. It wouldn't lock. The security latch at the top of the door was almost as worthless as it was missing all but one screw and that screw wasn't tight. A lamp didn't work, the internet (pricy at 10.99 - 19.99) kept going in and out. The heat and air was pretty good, though the window drafts made it go off and on a little more than necessary. The room furnishings were overall fairly modern and kept up. They and the carpet appear new. There were more than a sufficient number of towels and the bathmat was surprisingly comfortable. The shower, while dated, was a sliding glass with good water pressure. There was a little too much housekeeping hairs all over the bathroom, but that's not too important. The temperature controls for the sink and shower are a little sensitive. The hot water knob turns 90 degrees. The cold turns 180 degrees. The hallways are BONE CHILLING COLD. Why the air conditioning appears to be on in December is beyond me.

There are no mini refrigerators or microwaves in the room.

There were many pleasant bell hops outside the front doors who would go out of the way to open doors, engage in small talk, and go out of the way to make guests feel at home.

I had an issue where a glass fell and shattered at around 10PM. My calls to the front desk routed to a hotel operator. She proceeded to tell me that housekeeping was closed and that if I wanted to use a vacuum or broom that I would have to call back the following morning. She sounded unconcerned and somewhat rude. As shattered glass all over the bathroom and bedroom carpet wasn't cool, I tried again and managed to get the front desk manager, Roy. He told me that he didn't really know what to do since housekeeping was closed. I explained my dissatisfaction at that response and he said he would check and call me in a minute or two. He never called back, but he and another employee came up and cleaned the room for me. That was nice, but his arrival caught me off guard. I was also met with toilet clogs. I called the desk a few times before I managed to get someone. An employee arrived to unclog it, telling me that it happens here a lot because of the old dated toilets.

The location is very good and very close to a lot of things, including several restaurants. Do check out reviews on Yelp and Urban Spoon for the restaurants as some are great and some awful.

Overall, this hotel isn't bad. I wouldn't be opposed to staying again, though some of my customer service experiences were somewhat of a turn off. I would REALLY come back if the rooms were updated and maintained a little better. But the location is certainly worth putting up with these minor inconveniences.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I choose this hotel mainly based on its close proximity from the US Capitol & the museums. Had a great deal from Bookit.com. Stayed for two nights during the thanksgiving week. The hotel staff from the doorman to the receptionist and not forgetting the housekeeping staff were brilliant! The room has been refurbish with big comfy bed and a wide plasma tv. Spacious bathroom was a plus. FREE wifi is provided at the lobby which works well during my stay. Luggage storage service is also provided for those like me who are leaving later in the evening. There is a walmart very close to the hotel and it's only 15mins walk to Chinatown.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank DanAdrian
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I spent one night here on business in November 2013. The room was fine. No room service after 11, which was a drag. But the location is very good if you need to be in that part of town, and there's nothing wrong with the hotel for a quick trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank spep4
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Had the opportunity to stay here for business in September. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel itself was recently updated and the staff provided impeccable service during my stay. The hotel is very close the to the train station.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevator.