“Nice hotel except for guy at front desk”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #93 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Overall, the hotel was very nice. A bit overpriced, but still a good value. The event that soured everything, however, was a bad experience with the front desk guy named Anthony G. He was surly and basically called me a liar before he discovered that the hotel had made a sloppy mistake on my reservation. Never apologized and he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder for no good reason.

3  Thank davidluatsnl

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my fourth trip to DC in a year, business and fun. I stayed here for a week on business this time, but of course, I tried to get around a little in the evenings to take in the sights. The good: the bed was comfortable and the room clean. Proximity to Union Station is convenient for travel to DC and to catch the Metro red line. The staff was pleasant and helpful at all times, and given the length of my stay, I interacted w multiple people. The bad: The hotel has seen better days and is a bit tired. I had a room on the fire station side, and I was awakened a couple of times. If you're a light sleeper, I would ask for a room on the other side. There are limited restaurant choices in the area, and with such great choices for dining in DC, you want to enjoy them. And there are better hotel options for a sightseeing trip, both in the hotel itself and the area. The ugly: west of the hotel, going toward the National Mall, many transient people are loitering near shelters and kitchens. My travel companion and I walked through this area twice before deciding this was not a good idea. I definitely would not want to walk through here with children (starting with, "Why is the man laying on the sidewalk?" and other awkward kid questions that happen in public). After that, we only used the Metro out of Union Station. Again, if you're going to the Capitol this location is convenient. If you want to stay downtown to hit the museums and monuments, I'd stay nearer to Metro Center or Gallery Place metro stops.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I travel to Washington DC a few times a year on business and came upon the Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill after the block of rooms reserved by my national trade association sold out. They were able to get us rooms at Washington Court and I am so glad they did. What a wonderul find. Hotel is very clean throughout, rooms are spacious and staff very courteous and helpful. I'll surely be back and highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JWIndyk
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The staff was very nice, but the hotel has issues. Twice we were without water in our room and when it came back on it was black coming out of the faucet. The stool ran continuously. And, they charge for everything. $10 just to print a shuttle pass, No place to heat up anything (no microwave). Don't order toast unless you like it burned! And, the worst thing was, I guess I did not do my research. The homeless shelter is 1 1/2 blocks away from the hotel. If you have children I would definitely NOT stay here. Firestation just outside the hospital, so if you dont mind sirens all night it is ok. On the plus side it is close to Union station

Room Tip: Ask for one high up and away from the fire station
3  Thank DebK214
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Rooms are old. Service is poor though you get the feeling they are trying but just can't figure it out. No bottled water in the rooms or gym, though there is an empty cup holder in the gym and a rusty fountain. I was told when I went to the front desk to get a bottle if water my best bet was Starbucks across the street. When I got to my room there was an old bottle of wine and dishes at the front door. Terrible.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Fsufame
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel lobby is certainly 4 star but the room is not. The bathroom is very tired. Renovation needed including paint and clean up. We've had to ask for toilet tissue. Not convenient. There are two double beds and a combination desk and chest. The office chair is the only one in the room. Not everyone wants to sit on the bed to watch TV. The chest needs to be repainted. But the carpet looks good. The staff is friendly. Extra charges are significant. Parking is $46 per day. There is no breakfast included. The hotel restaurant does serve a breakfast but the eggs were runny and the potatoes were undercooked. My actual rating is 3 and 1/2 stars.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed June 1-2 @ Washington Court. Found the deal through Groupon, was concerned about the view, but who cares in the end since we left early and came home late dead tired, we had the front view of the New jersey Ave on 11th floor. Location is AMAZING, is walkable distance to any landmark. Hotel parking is overpriced, we left the car at Colonial Parking across the street for $22 for overnight stay a total of 27 hours parking.

No breakfast included so we ate across the union station at Corner Bakery. Great room, great service, no complaints!

2  Thank L M