“Fancy looking hotel, great location, but not perfect...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #80 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Fancy looking hotel, great location, but not perfect...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked this hotel for a last minute trip. The hotel is in a great location- just steps away from Union Station and a few blocks away from the Capitol Building and National Mall. We put money on our SmarTrip card but only used it once. We walked everywhere since a majority of the sites are under a mile away.

The hotel and the room itself was nice. It definitely has an upscale feel. The bathroom had great lighting but I was disappointed by its cleanliness (or lack there of). I found hair on the bathroom floor and bathtub so that was upsetting.

You could hear the traffic and honking from the room but it wasn't obnoxiously loud. It was easy to ignore after awhile. I'm not sure if I just got lucky but I didn't hear any of my neighbors. The only time I did hear the other guests was when they were directly outside of my room or down the hallway.

In terms of the staff, they were fine. The doorman was extremely helpful and polite. Checkout was smooth but finding large chunks of bread crumbs on the seats of my car from the valet wasn't exactly how I wanted to end my trip.

All in all, nice hotel, good location but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Pros: Location (close to the metro and the National Mall), upscale feel, relatively thick walls
Cons: Bathroom not cleaned well, inconsiderate valet, outside noise but bearable

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank traveler500930

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my first visit @ this hotel. Got a great deal thru Priceline. I read the reviews after purchase so my expectations were set. I stayed 3 nights and must say my expectations were met, and exceeded on my in-room dining experiences. Not only was it fast, for hotel food, it was so good, and tasty. They give you plenty of towels, a definite plus because I usually have to request more at more expensive hotels. The location of the hotel is another two thumbs up! I would not necessarily choose to stay here because it is an older hotel and I just prefer something more modern and fancy. However, if price, space, and/or location is a primary factor, this is the place to be! Only minus was that I could never get my room warm enough although I had the thermostat on 80 (I like my room toasty, especially when it is in the 20 's outside). I had to put on a jacket and socks to get the warmth I wanted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank slsaage
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I snagged a last minute $99 a night deal off of the app Hotels Tonight. The hotel is definitely larger on the inside than it appears from the outside. The lobby is very grand and open. The location is very close to Capitol Hill but there are not a lot of happenings on the weekend or at night. The front desk staff had a difficult time locating my reservation and they were just okay, not friendly at all but not rude. I asked about the Wi-Fi and I was told there was two options; basic speed for $12 night or an upgraded speed for $20 a night. $20 a night for Wi-Fi! I did without that is way too expensive. Once I arrived to my room, I was very much impressed with the size of the room and huge bathroom but I definitely felt like I was in the early 90's hanging with Vanilla Ice based on the decor. The bed was very large and comfortable. I ordered room service which was delicious but very pricey. I do not recommend this hotel to other travelers based on the price of the internet and other services that you can get for free and cheaper at other hotels situated in more vibrant areas of DC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mid Atlantic Leather had their 2013 gathering at the Hyatt Regency up the street and so I came back to Washington Court because I really do like my privacy. Unlike last year I could only do two nights and boy were they fun. My neighbors down the hall were attending the same function and so we came back to my room post festivities and finished the party albeit too loudly. Security had to remind me to quiet down at 3am. I like this hotel quite alot because you hardly notice the staff until you are passing by the front desk. My request for a refrigerator was honored and my room was on the 9th floor facing the street. I loved it. The quiet atmosphere in the lobby was improved by the Delta Sorority staying that weekend.

Room Tip: Any room with a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank BlackBear54
Marathon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My brother, his wife and I all met here for a short family get together- it was fabulous! The location is unbelivable, very close to everything, or a short cab drive away- the staff are all very nice and rooms are great- excellent choice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I purchased two nights at the Washington Court Hotel from Groupon. The hotel was very nice and located in a very nice area. It was amazing that as soon as we stepped out of the hotel we could see the Capitol Building. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. It was a very pleasant stay. We had the privilege of meeting Anthony at the concierge desk who was extremely helpful with suggestions on where to eat and how to maneuver the Metro which was only two blocks away @ Union Station . He provided us with a map of the "Mall" which is where all of the museums and monuments were. There are plenty of fast food grabs inside of Union Station..it really was a great location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Serena D
Gramercy, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I chose this hotel for location (near my friend's apartment) and price ($119) for a weekend visit. I was nervous about the low price compared to neighboring hotels but so glad I gave it a shot. The bedding was very nice; the room and bathroom were spacious; it was reasonably clean - not perfect; and the service we encountered was good (the doormen were always friendly and helpful). We brought earplugs and needed them for the sirens on the street (firetrucks?) and hallway noise was very loud when guests walked by. For the price, it was terrific. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel to others who have reasonable expectations for a good value in a great location. We brunched at Sixth Engine (recommend), had dinner at Zaytinya (outstanding) and breakfast at the Billy Goat Tavern across the street ($5 breakfast on paper plates with jukebox playing Jerry Jeff Walker at 10am - decide for yourself). We taxied around since my friend was disabled ($5-11 within the area) and used Uber for private sedan service to dinner and after dinner for a night tour of the monuments (very nice). I hesitantly went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum with my friends and thankfully enjoyed the President's exhibit alot. For a quick weekend getaway, the Washington Court was spot on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends