“So close to Union Station was a huge plus!”

Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
Ranked #98 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Booked a room with a Groupon that was a fabulous deal. The lobby was beautiful, the room well- appointed and updated and the service phenomenal. We walked to the National Mall and had only a 2 block walk from the train station. Would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a unit on a higher floor to have a view of the Capitol.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

A very nice hotel.

PRO:
(1) excellent location in Washington
(2) very comfortable bed
(3) large room
(4) very clean

CONS:
(1) no free WiFI in the room
(2) no coffee maker
(3) no safe in the room
(4) nice bar area, but only a small resturant

Overall, a very nice hotel. A great location for site seeing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were registered here by an outside group that was holding a meeting/conference. I had never heard of the place and the price point made me a little concerned this could be a dive. Not even close. The lobby is finished in high end marble, the rooms are modern and well appointed, wifi is free, and newspapers and free coffee in the morning. What's not to like ??

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SuperSpy
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My room definitely had some plusses. It was a nice size, had a comfortable king-size bed, and was very quiet. The work area was an ample size with a comfortable desk chair. However, the room was incredibly dusty, which aggravated my allergies. The room wasn't well vacuumed either, and there was a large, obvious burn mark on one piece of the bedding. Also, this is a minor complaint, but the room decor is incredibly bland and a little worn around the edges.

I was constantly having issues with the Wi-Fi service, and each time I talked to someone at the front desk about it, I was provided with a different password or a different network to connect to. Finally, after two days of this, I was able to maintain a relatively good connection, but it required a bit of effort on my part.

Although the restaurant is a little on the pricey side, I felt like it provided a good value. The food was consistently fresh and well prepared, and the serving portions were large. The service was very good.

The location is convenient if you're traveling around the city by Metro and/or arriving via Amtrak, as it is about two blocks from Union Station. Union Station also has quite a few budget eating options.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you get a very good rate via an online service like Hotwire, but not otherwise.

Room Tip: I had a room far away from the elevator bank and facing inward (i.e., not facing the street), and it...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I complained to Housekeeping that the cushion on the bed was not cleaned and I did not want to see that cushion on top of the bed when they re-made the bed with clean sheets. That afternoon, I went back to my room to see the pillow back on the bed and the sheets were not changed as requested. I went downstairs to Front Desk and requested the sheets to be changed and that never happened. So at 6:30pm, I requested a clean sheet and placed it on my bed. Poor housekeeping. I will check out tomorrow and hope I never have to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DML2012_12
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Loved the hotel. Got a fantastic deal on BookIt. I had Rm 616 which faced an office building across the roof of the lobby and restaurant. No view, but didn't feel closed in. Room was very clean. Comfortable easy chair and ottoman with a light next to it for reading or watching TV. TV reception was grainy on several stations. Bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of drawers in room. Bathroom was very large and open. Glass doors on shower/tub were heavy. I have short legs and did find the door sill on the tub high and a little awkward to step over. Plenty of towels. Excellent lighting. Room was quiet. Fitness room was a little cramped, but had more types of equipment than I have seen in a hotel. Never had a wait for the elevators.
The only issue I had was a broken bottom drawer which wouldn't close. I notified the front desk, that it was sticking out, but unfortunately they didn't send anyone to fix it and during the nite, I bumped into and bruised my leg. The next morning when housekeeping came, I warned her to be careful. She left and within 5 minutes, there was a man fixing the drawer.
There are a few pubs and restaurants in the area, and I found a deli just around the corner with good prices and large sandwiches and salads. During the week, 1 block over there is a long line of food trucks, which seemed to be very popular with businesses. Altogether, I really loved the hotel and location. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: I had an inside room, 616, and didn't feel closed in at all.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Less L
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were pleased with our stay at this hotel. We were able to get a good rate via Bookit.com. When we first arrived we walked from the judiciary square metro and by that route it did not take us through a great neighborhood (not the worst, but not the best either). I would definitely recommend walking from Union Station instead, as it is much closer and is more heavily traveled and feels safer. At no time though did we feel unsafe around the hotel.

The hotel was nice enough to give us a very early wake up call however they did forget to order us a cab for 5 am. Not a big deal but it could have been a major inconvenience for someone. Our room didn't have a view but if you are lucky enough you might get one with a view towards the capitol. We also didn't eat breakfast at the hotel (it does cost) but there is a Starbucks across the street. Not too much food directly around the area (a couple of Irish bars) but there are some places in Union Station if you need something.

Our king size room was large and clean and so was our bathroom. We would definitely consider staying here again on a future trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple