“Not a great experience”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #75 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Booked this hotel due to its proximity to metro and location at the embassy row. My experience with this hotel has been average at the best. The reception desk guy appeared blunt and unfriendly from the start and no concierge was there during our stay. I had to upgrade to a larger room as the one's booked via web turned out to be very small. Inspite of request we were given rooms facing building just few meters away. On some nights loud sounds ( probably some kind of construction from the adjacent building) would disturb the sleep. Not a good value for the price.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

Reviewed March 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel after getting a great rate on travelzoo. Our room was beautiful and overlooked Embassy Row. It was nicely decorated with large windows and nice furnishings. The bathroom was a standard size, but I don't need a large bathroom. The front desk/lobby area was small, but it worked. It wasn't close to the capitol, but it was really close to the metro. The neighborhood was also quaint and had some gems nearby, including the Brickskeller Pub, which was right around the corner (within stumbling distance). Furthermore, the hotel has a happy hour for starwood members that blew us away - cheese and meat trays and free drinks. I will definitely stay here again, especially if I can get a good deal!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2010

100% customer service, perfect location near metro restaurants etc, nice comfortable room. felt like a queen here. Really worth it

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel back in 2007 over new years eve...we travel to DC one per month and have stayed in dozens of hotels around the city. I want to caution travelers about the safety of this property and the lack of service by the management when there is a problem. I checked out of the hotel on new years day and realized about an hour later that I left my purse in the room. When I called the hotel, I was told they checked the room and no purse was found. They kept telling me to call back and speak with the manager, but miraculously, the manager was never at work when I called. Soon after calling the hotel about my purse, I contacted my credit card company and they confirmed that someone was fraudently using my credit cards to by metro tickets, McDonalds, and other items. I lost several hundred dollars in cash and gift cards (all my xmas presents from that year) This was the most stressful situation I've ever had to deal with and received NO HELP or even compassion from the hotel. With hotel staff this negligent, I would caution strongly against staying at this property. You have far better hotels at places like the JW, Omni Shoreham, and the Renaissance hotels.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patravels_7
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Husband and I traveled to DC to meet up with sister and brother-in-law. We got a great rate, and the rooms were charming and clean. Room was not huge, but was very nicely decorated and the bathroom was spacious and nicely appointed. Staff was quietly friendly, available when needed but not too pushy. Location was fantastic, easy walk to metro, with plenty of restaurants around, and the beautiful Embassy buildings in every direction. Bar was nice, did not try the restaurant. Used the business center to print boarding passes for return flight, took only seconds. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2010

the room: disappointing: no bath mat, no shampoo, stained rugs in bedroom, small room, light pouring in through the doorway all night long.

breakfast too expensive, waiter at breakfast breaking in every few moments to ask 'is everything ok?' as if someone had trained him that this question is highly correlated with good service.
i dont think 4 and a half stars id remotely right. must be an east german judge - teh form was filled out ahead of time

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2010

The Fairfax at Embassy Row is a perfectly pleasant place at which to stay, within close reach of the Dupont Circle stop on the Metro (the line connects directly to Union Station), and is in a neighborhood full of shops and restaurants. The rooms are very pleasantly decorated, and come with a fair amount of storage space, though the rooms themselves are not overly large. The only minor quibbles with the room that I had was a rather noisy air conditioning unit, and the in-room safe push buttons needed repair or replacement -the first combination that I gave the safe couldn't be re-entered to open it, due to over-use of the #1 button.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple