“Nice enough, but definitely not "Luxury Brand"”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice enough, but definitely not "Luxury Brand"”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I just stayed here for two nights for my son's college orientation. Although I loved the location, and yes the hotel was comfortable, I would not say it deserves the Luxury rating. My room was nicely appointed with two queen beds, flat screen tv, etc. A coffee maker was in the room by the tv but I had to move it into the bathroom to be able to plug it in and use it. The two worst things were the view of the garbage area and my toilet was not clean when I first entered the room. Having 3 boys I just sucked it up and cleaned the spots myself but was not happy. I didn't try the restaurant or bar and maybe those are what bump up the rating, who knows.I enjoyed the Westin on M street much more.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton
Reviewed June 21, 2009

The last time we were in DC we stayed at the Westin on Embassy Row - it was a little tired but still charming enough that we decided to stay there again during our 30 day road trip. When we heard it was changed to the Fairfax we were concerned it wouldn't be as nice as before but decided to take a chance anyway.
The hotel was completely renovated & is beyond beautiful - it's fabulous. the rooms are smaller then they were before - they have added more rooms - but the rooms have everything in them that anyone could want - including a tv & phones in the bathroom!
Also, a feature I always like - the sink & dressing table are in a separate room from the toilet & shower.
The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.
If I had to complain about anything it would be the cost of breakfast - too expensive.
Other then that, this is hotel I would strongly recommend when coming to DC - short walk to Dupont Circle & transportation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J4BFL
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2009

This hotel was a great base for a five-day visit to Washington DC. We arrived at 1 PM and our room was not ready. There was a mixup in my reservations...I had two nights on a AAA rate (great deal!) and two nights on Starwood points. They had somehow changed one of the reservations from two queen beds to two full beds, but when I showed them my copy of the reservation, they quickly accommodated us in the two queen bed room for all four nights. However, that room wouldn't be ready until 6:30 PM...they gave us a different room from 3 PM to 6:30 PM to hang out in (and we all needed naps, so that was great).

The rooms themselves are very high end, with nice touches like a large flat-screen TV, quality iPod dock, dimmable desk lamp, and temperature control on the bath/shower. The hotel was quiet and comfortable. In-room and turndown service were fantastic, except the last night where they forgot to do turndown. Small additional touches were filling the ice bucket in the evening and that an elevator was almost always ready and available in the lobby.

The staff were very kind, welcoming, and helpful. The door was almost always held open, with at least three staff greeting you and welcoming you back upon return. They had great restaurant suggestions and taxis were always available. The DuPont Circle metro stop is less than five minutes' walk and there is a Starbucks, a bagel joint, a 24 hour CVS, and new Le Pain Quotdien around the corner. Some reviews had complained about the Jockey Club being limited and having a dress code...who cares? We never wanted to eat there anyway.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat, either alone on business or with my family. I am sure that when the economy turns around, there won't be the kind of deals we found for this hotel. Stay here while you can afford to!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank erb162
milwaukee wi
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for 5 days during memorial day 2009. Everything about this hotel was amazing. From the attendants who took our baggage when we arrived, to the front desk which was so good at letting us check in at 11 am instead of waiting until 3! That was a big plus. Everyone was kind and polite throughout our stay. The hotel was very clean and the maids did a great job at both house keeping and during the turn down service, they even organized our bathroom supplies for us! 2 minor defects though 1. the bathroom door would not close all the way, which was fine since I was there with my girlfriend but could be unnerving for people who are not intimate and 2. the final bill did not reflect my discount through SPG but I caught it early and was fixed by check out time. Very close to the metro which was a big plus. I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I was looking for a room in DC on very busy week where many hotels were sold out or overpriced. I was able to locate a room at what appeared to be a nice hotel, The Fairfax. We had to pay a little more because rooms were in demand that week, which was okay for us given that other hotels were charging a lot more.

We arrived to a friendly and quick valet. The lobby was incredibly small with a club like decor. Front desk staff was pleasant and was able to upgrade us as SPG Gold. The elevators and corridors were also well appointed and tasteful. I did notice a nice lounge area and restaurant just off the lobby, which I assumed is where people relaxed instead of having a larger lobby area.

The room was set in the corner of the hotel and it was big compared to other DC hotels. Plenty of open space along with a sofa bed and coffee table. Decor matched the lobby as a classic club room style. Everything was clean and well positioned. One thing I didn't like was how tiny the bathroom was. It was unusually small which may of been because it was a corner room.

We had used the fitness center, which had a good selection of cardio machines but little in weights. Water, apples and cold towels were also available. Plus each machine had its own LCD TV and the room itself is available 24/7. All of which made for a nice hotel gym.

The location is in a great position of being close to The Mall and to Georgetown. We had a nice walk to the White House, which was pleasant the whole way with fountains and parks. We did not go to Georgetown this time but it was not far at all. The metro is just blocks away and there are plenty of places to eat and drink within short walking distance. We had taken a cab from around the White House and it was only $5. A very good location.

All around, this is a very good hotel. Don't expect any "out of your way" service from the hotel or luxurious appointments but given what the standard rate is, I would not expect that. This is great boutique hotel option.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I was a guest for just one night at this property. I will state that overall, I had an excellent stay. The hotel exterior was nice, which fit in properly with the neighborhood. It is in the gorgeous Dupont Circle/ Embassy Row neighborhood. It is within easy walking distance to so many beautiful places in the city, as well as restaurants. It is a brisk 15-20 minute walk to the primary DC attractions and museums. However, the metro stop is close by.

As far as parking, we found street parking, which on weekends is readily free in the surrounding neighborhoods. It is certainly safe, and you can avoid the valet parking charge. The front desk staff left a little to be desired. Both at check in and check out, only one person staffed the small desk and there always seemed to be a unnecessary wait. They also didn't appear to be smiling and over friendly.

The interior decor was pleasant, the elevators always readily available, and the rooms were very well appointed. We were on the 6th Floor and had a one king bed standard room. It appeared to be newly renovated within the last two years. Everything was very clean and well taken care of. The size of the room was sufficient for a downtown hotel. There was one odd painted over attempt stain on the ceiling, but I'm not sure what that was from.

Now...why do I say...Great Hotel, but maybe not for the brand. I don't know what requirements there are for a Starwood hotel to make Starwoods luxury collection, but when you classify it into the "luxury collection", the word "luxury" can give you high expectations. I didn't feel the service defined "luxury". Another example, was that we had an interior room facing other rooms. Instead of the trash blown macadam below and the ugly roof, they could turn that into a beautiful garden or outdoor oasis. That would define "luxury"

Of course, I did receive a wonderful Travelzoo rate, and for the price I paid, there would be no complaints. I'm just not sure that if you book under a regular rate, you would classify this as part of the "luxury collection"

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sensenigr
London
Reviewed April 30, 2009

My girlfriend and I decided on a last minute trip to DC at the beginning of April. The Fairfax seemed like good value and in a great location. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon at 2:15, and were told that our room was not availabe to check in. We left our two bags and my Ralph Lauren coat with the bellman, and went out to enjoy the day. When we returned I asked for our things to be brought to the room. My two bags arrived, but not my coat. They said that it must have been misplaced and said someone would bring it up. 1 hour went by and it was time for us to go out so I went to reception to ask what was going on. Nobody knew of my coat, the desk manager had simply chosen to go home and not bother to tell anyone about the missing coat. Having no choice, I was forced to go out in just my shirt. The next day it was fairly certain that my coat was missing, so the security manager took my details and promised that someone would get back to me.... nobody did. I had to spend my time repeatedly chasing up the hotel manager to get a response. Finally someone from the insurance company got in touch with me, and I was forced to settle for less than the coat was worth. To date, nobody from the hotel has apologised. I had a couple of single line emails from the manager to let me know that the insurance company would get back to me, but nothing apart from that. Not one person has said sorry or even tried to explain how they managed to lose a $500 coat that they had to look after for less than 4 hours.

This is honestly the worst customer service experience I have ever had with any business. The hotel itself seemed OK, and the location was great..but I would really question whether to stay in a hotel that treats customers this poorly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple