“Sweet Botique Hotel Intent on Making You Feel Important”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Key Biscayne, Florida
“Sweet Botique Hotel Intent on Making You Feel Important”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a newly renovated and well maintained botique-feeling hotel a couple of blocks from rich cultural offerings of Dupont Circle. I am Priceline booker for all my DC hotel rooms four times a year, and this hotel accepted my bid for a moderate price. I have stayed in all of the 4 star hotels in the city in the past five years. I was initially disappointed that my favorite places had not taken my bid, and I knew nothing about this place. However, my disappointment quickly gave way to the delight of being treated like a king. There was no disparate treatment of me because i was paying so little through Priceline (as I sometime encounter). In the old hotel style, the rooms are small but not cramped, but with very large modernistic bathrooms, good electronics and fairly priced robust wifi, and excellent staff. The rooms are furnished with high quality linen, very large towels, crisp new carpet, and nice furnishings. One tableside lamp had an electrical outlet, and beneath the desk were other free outlets. The flatscreen tv had HDMI inputs, which were not "locked" as many hotels now do, thus allowing me to connect my computer so I could stream video on the robust wifi connection for the usual charge. The hotel has a trendy restaurant and bar, and prompt room service until 10:45pm. The food was appetizing and ample, and appropriately priced. The staff were all well trained in customer service, even with the maid leaving a handwritten note urging me to let her know of any unmet needs I had. The housekeeping service is vigilant, the "do not disturb" placard was fully honored (which is rare), and even if I left the room at 2pm, when I returned at 5pm the room had been cleaned. The front desk staff was fast and efficient, and I was greeted in the driveway by doormen who whisked my luggage inside, without waiting for any gratuity. The doormen had taxis or private drivers for me within two minutes each and every time, opened the passenger doors, and instructed the driver on my destination. In short, this property is extremely well managed, the staff is highly motivated, and gave me the impression throughout my stay that I was the key to the hotel's success.

Room Tip: Immediately give the front desk person a friendly greeting, and ask how they are doing. Ask him or h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LLFauntleroy
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Regardless of your status or booking arrangement, guests of The Fairfax at Embassy Row are treated as equally important, because you are. We are thrilled that your experience was exceptional and that you felt just a bit pampered while staying here. Our staff strives to provide personalized service and it seems like they met that goal with your stay. We certainly appreciate your kind comments and would consider it a privilege to welcome you back for another great stay at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Arrived this evening at 10:30 to find myself waiting 30 minutes for them to prepare thee last room in the place. At least I'm better off than the woman who walked in behind me, who is getting dished off to the Washington Plaza for the night. This after I specifically called earlier in the evening confirm a late check in and was told they wouldn't take my name. First And last stay here for this regular DC traveler.

• Stayed March 2014
We do apologize for any inconveniences you encountered and wish that we could have made your stay a bit more enjoyable. There are times, and we hope that they are few and far between, where our hotel becomes overbooked. When that happens, we work with our guests to provide them with alternative accommodations. We’re happy that we were able to accommodate you, but regret that the room was not quite ready when you arrived. We certainly value your feedback and the thoughts that you’ve shared.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Lovely old school hotel in the heart of a historic district...exactly what I look for when I travel. Room 546 was spacious with a great view of the square. The bathroom was a bit tight, but updated and with good shower pressure. The tub did drain slow as other travelers have mentioned, but in an old building that's not uncommon. The one complaint was housekeeping...inconsistent at best and one day they missed our room altogether. We also had to call down twice for room service breakfast menus.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Please accept our apologies that we did not create the experience you had come to expect of us. Your comments will be shared with our Housekeeping Dept. to re-emphasize our need for commitment to attention to detail. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and its classic and traditional style. We hope you will still consider staying with us if you are ever in the Washington, DC area and we thank you for your review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row.
Allen, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I booked in this location to be in DuPont cu circle. The room was extremely dated and the view from my room was like an insane asylum from the twenties.it seems the bathroom was updated but not quite there. I requested a city view unfortunately that was not an option the from desk supervisor called me a female and she stated should have stayed at the W or Kimpton if I wanted a view. I was completely done.I would not stay here ever again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank CampbellSoup21
We do apologize for the disappointing stay that you have described. As you can imagine, being situated between the stately mansions of Massachusetts Avenue, there are only certain rooms of our hotel that offer a view. Unfortunately, at the time of your stay, a room in the front of our hotel was not available. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide our valued guests and we appreciated the time you’ve taken to share your concerns.
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 24, 2014

If you're spending time in DuPont Circle, this hotel is incredibly convenient. Very nice place, helpful staff. The room is perhaps a little tight (too much furniture in the space), but a good, clean room. Metro accessible is also a plus!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tim M
Thank you for your kind patronage of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We’re delighted that our centric location worked out so well for you and that our staff made your stay even better. It would be our privilege to welcome you back again in the future and we thank you for your feedback.
Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I planned a quick stop in DC on the way home from a long road trip. Our plan was a late check-in, breakfast with a friend, then back on the road. We arrived just before midnight, completely exhausted. Even with reinstating my SPG status, check-in was swift and within 5 minutes we were in our room. Our room was very nice, and most importantly, the bed was comfy. The following morning, another quick stop at the front desk and we were on our way, equipped with directions to the local catholic church, mass times and recommendations for breakfast. Check-out was a breeze, our car was waiting for us when we arrived in the lobby and we were back on the road. I read the reviews about the unimpressive lobby and the quality of the toiletries before our stay, but frankly that isn't a priority for me. My criteria is a friendly, helpful staff, clean, comfortable and quiet room and location (walking distance to many eateries and restaurants and the Metro). I got exactly what I needed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments and for mentioning the convenient location of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. It is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your time with us, however brief it may have been, and that your accommodations provided you with a restful night’s sleep. We hope to continue to welcome you back again and again and we thank you for your review.
Franklin County, PA
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I previously reviewed this property many years ago when my purse was stolen in DC and swore to never return to this hotel where we received no help. We recently bid on a 4* star property for DuPont Circle on Priceline.com and the Fairfax just happened to be what we got. We went with an open mind and we were very happy with our return after almost 8 years. Here are our pros and cons:

Pros

~2blocks from metro at DuPont
~walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops and services
~room was large, bed was comfortable, room at rear of property was very quiet even on 2nd floor
~bathroom was large with ample sink and storage space (decent hair dryer too)
~staff were friendly and professional, check-in was a breeze
~doormen were quick and always greeted us and asked if we needed a cab
~work out room was very nice
~elevators were large and rarely had to wait more than a few seconds
~we always praise hotels that offer us good rooms despite bidding via Priceline...we seemed to be treated with as much respect as any other guest.

Cons

~like other reviewers have stated, the absence of free wi-fi is a drawback. Travelers really want this service included and I hope the Fairfax considers adding free wi-fi (it would be attractive if Starwood hotels would offer free wi-fi to guests who sign up for their rewards program, which is what Omni Hotels does)
~We also noted as other travelers have that our shower water took a good minute or so to warm up, also despite caulking at the base of the shower there was a large puddle that would leak out onto he bathroom floor that we needed to clean up with towels (rm 216)
~we did not like the brand of toiletries and next time would bring our own shampoo and conditioner
~valet parking in the district is very high, I believe it was upwards of $40 per night. This is standard at other properties of this caliber, but a tip to travelers on weekends is to find street parking. Just be wary of the signs with restrictions.

We recommend this hotel for travelers who want to stay at a nice property close to all the action, but which feels homey and quiet inside. Also, many travelers have complained about the price of breakfast...there are dozens of restaurants within a a few blocks to save on breakfast. Overall, we had a good stay and it's nice to know we no longer have to avoid this property. We will return happily.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel if you value quiet and don't mind a view of alleyways and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patravels_7
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Your review has certainly made us smile! We’re so pleased to hear that you gave The Fairfax at Embassy Row another chance and ended up having a wonderful visit to Washington, DC. Just to clarify, Platinum SPG Members do receive complimentary in-room Internet access, along with the highest level of benefits in the SPG program. No matter how our guests reserve their stay with us, we strive to provide each and every one with outstanding service and we’re happy to read that we met that goal with your stay. Thank you for your helpful suggestions for other readers and we look forward to greeting you again very soon.