“Wonderfully grand (in the bijoux style!) with great service and in a fab location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington D.C.

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington D.C.
Ranked #55 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Bradford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife, 2 lads (13,11) and I stayed here for 6 nights and loved it. From the very first greeting by the jolly doorman on the welcomingly charming entrance we felt at home; the Reception/Concierge service was exemplary, nothing was too much trouble and the fine line between professionalism and approachability was trodden expertly.
Our room - a dbl dbl - was lovely; if I had one minor quibble it would be that the AC was a bit on the noisy side. However, once turned off at night it was fine and the room remained cool - we simply put it back on during the day whilst we were out.
The location was terrific, just a few mins down the very pleasant Massachussets Avenue from the lively DuPont Circle (shops, restaurants/cafes, Metro Station).
For the slightly more energetic you are only a 20 mins walk from the White House/Mall/etc (and that was at the pace of surly teenager!) in one direction, and a slightly shorter jaunt to the lovely Georgetown.
The hotel also offers a nice intimate bar (if a tad on the pricey side - a treat to end your day with a well-deserved beer/cocktail!).
I would recommend this hotel in a breath, great for young families and couples alike.
Thanks go to the lovely management team for making our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington D.C., responded to this review, August 26, 2013
What a lovely review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We sincerely enjoy serving all our guests, but when our guests are as appreciative as you, it inspires us to new heights! Your gracious comments for our attentive staff are sincerely appreciated and we know that reading your review will add enjoyment to their day. It would absolutely be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back for another exceptional experience in the near future. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I do highly recommend this hotel because it is excellent, so clean, beautiful, with comfort, excellent guest services and care; the location of this hotel it is awesome because at 5 minutes approx.. away you will find the white house, 10 minutes approx. away from the Smithsonian Museums and the capitol and others important places to visit at Washington DC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We do appreciate hearing that you fully enjoyed your recent stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, and that our convenient location worked out so well for you. Our Dupont Circle location makes it easy for our guests to get the most out of their stay in Washington, DC and we are so glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy so many attractions while here. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and thank you for your review.
West Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had an occasion to return to the Fairfax for a two night stay in August 2013. When I checked in I was asked if a room near the health club would be okay. I was then told that people don't usually complain but they feel the need to give me the option. I accepted and thought nothing about it until somebody with leaden feet got on the treadmill at 11:30. For the next 30 minutes my walls reverberated with this guy's footfalls. By the time he finished I realized that my A/C was banging and keeping time with him. Even when he stopped it did not. I ended up turning the A/C off for an hour. When I turned it back on it was tolerably quiet.

My television received all of the expected stations, except for the one I wanted to watch. Much to his credit the guy from engineering came up and tried to fix it, came back with a new television, and then came back a third time with a new computer card. Each time the same station had no signal. It remained that way over night, but not for lack of effort to try to remedy the situation.

The next day I switched to a much larger, higher level room, which was really nice and spacious. And far from the health club. Everything in both rooms was clean, the bathrooms were well appointed, and the beds are very comfortable.

At about 7:00 AM I was distressed by the fact that nearby construction had begun jack hammering. This continued non-stop until I realized that it was my A/C. Funny about that construction site, the jack hammering stopped when I turned off the A/C.

I really want to like this hotel, I have stayed in another one in the Luxury collection and had only good things to say. The staff is wonderful and made me feel like they actually remembered me from my previous stay. Unfortunately the property itself is making it difficult for me to like it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank use_2_love_2_travel
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington D.C., responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation, as well as your concerns with us. We strive to give our guests the best possible experience and do regret that your stay did not reflect that goal. We are happy to hear that you were able to move to a much better room the following day and wish that you had not been disturbed by the A/C. Our Maintenance Engineers will promptly look into any repairs needed. It would be our hope to be able to welcome you back for the exceptional stay that Luxury Collection properties are known to provide and we thank you for your review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Delightful hotel with charming service. Location is excellent and value outstanding. A lovely stay for our 2 families which gave us a delightful finale to our US experience. Peter, the concierge, is an expert.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
It was certainly our pleasure to ensure that you and your two families fully enjoyed your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. Knowing that your visit with us created a memorable end to your experience in the United States makes us very happy. We will be sure to share your kind compliments with our staff and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Thank you for your great review.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I love classic hotels but not ones which are simply old. The Fairfax is the latter. It is in need of a complete gut renovation as it's a 3 star facility right now.

The garage management should also be improved. You shouldn't wait nearly half an hour for them to get your car when there's no line when you're being charged $45.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
We do appreciate you sharing both the positive aspects of your stay and those that need our attention. It is disappointing to hear that you felt our hotel did not meet your expectations, but are happy to see that our location added some value to your stay. Our parking fees are very much in line with surrounding properties, and we do apologize for any wait you encountered for your car. Thank you for letting us know about your experience and we hope to be able to regain your trust with a future stay.
Florencia, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I went with my boyfriend and family to stay at this hotel at the end of July. The experience was amazing, the rooms are really nice, the staff, the location, everything. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington D.C., responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind recommendation of The Fairfax at Embassy Row. It certainly makes us happy to hear that your group fully enjoyed themselves and that you would recommend staying at our hotel. Thank you for your great review and welcome you to come back and stay with us again soon.
Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I come to DC for 4-5 nights nearly monthly....and used to spend a lot of time moving to get to platinum status of 25 stays....4-Points, Westin, etc...the Fairfax stopped my moving around...I liked the conceirge when he was at the Westin and now he is here...the bar tender and cocktail waitress recognize me and make me feel welcome- the lounge menu is great food and reasonable ( $12 for a burger and $10 for a wdge salad)....the neighborhood is embassy row and fantastic...3 blocks to Rock Creek Parkway for beautiful hikes....2 blocks to Dupont Circle and Kramer's Books and other local treats...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
We’re delighted to hear that your experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row has inspired you to stay with us each time you visit Washington DC. Our convenient location makes it so easy for our guests to make the most out of their visits and we’re thrilled that you have found it advantageous to yours. We look forward to welcoming you back time and time again and we thank you for your kind words for our staff and dining options.