“Lovely room, good service and fantastic bar.”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #74 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The room was small, but well appointed with high quality linens and furniture. The building itself was very well maintained, clean and centrally located. The service was excellent and very friendly - the door man remembered me and always said "see you soon" or "welcome home" when I came and went. The hotel bar was perfect. Large space, good for socializing or working, great drinks, great food and very reasonably priced. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. It’s truly wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and the attentive service from our staff, as we work hard to guarantee a pleasant stay for each of our guests. We hope to welcome you back very soon where you can enjoy another relaxing experience in The Fairfax Lounge and in our hotel. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights in Dec. 2012 . We felt very special as that's the way we where treated by the staff. The room was very nice. If you've never stayed here, the location is superb. It's located in an area that is very residential and not that "down town" commercial feeling. Easy walk to DuPont circle and neighborhood restaurants. Felt very safe.

Will go back again. Rick & Laura

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

It was our pleasure to welcome you to The Fairfax at Embassy Row and we’re thrilled to hear that your stay was so enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning our convenient location and for offering such kind words for our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and we thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here iwth our 4 & 7 y.o. children. The staff was fantastic and very gracious in acccomodating my young family. Raul in the hotel lounge went out of his way to make us feel welcome. I was concerned the hotel lounge would be too posh to bring my children in for a meal, but circumstances and cold made the lounge the best option for us. Raul was so warm and welcoming any concerns I had went out the door with his exceptional service. Our waiter for Sunday buffet was also very gracious and welcoming. I can't say enough good things about the staff. Exceptional! Will most certainly be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather S

We couldn’t be more pleased to learn that your entire stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row was amazing. It was certainly a pleasure to have your family stay with us, and we sincerely appreciate your kind comments for our staff. We will be sure to pass on your compliments and look forward to having your family join us again very soon for another great stay. Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Nice, OLD hotel in the DuPont Circle section of Washington, DC. Front Desk staff is professional, courteous and sophisticated. Room (upgraded) is old, but nicely furnished with amenities including current magazines, complimentary water and chocolates. Room service was very quick and delivered by a very professional waiter.

There was noise coming from adjacent rooms, I usually sleep with ear plugs in a hotel so it did not impact my stay.

Convenient to Embassy Row, DuPont Circle Metro, Phillips Collection, etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ChiTown2
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

We are so glad to hear that The Fairfax at Embassy Row was part of an enjoyable stay for you. Thank you for taking the time to mention the parts of your stay that impressed you the most, particularly our attentive staff and convenient location. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and we thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Let me start out by saying I love staying at Starwood Luxury Collection Hotels (SLS, Phoenician, Alfonso XIII, Danieli, Palace, Joule, Chatwal, etc.). They are unique hotels that provide a great travel experience and wonderful customer service. Unfortunately, the Fairfax Hotel falls short of the luxury collection standard primarily because of it's inadequate customer service. I hope the following information will help you make your own decision the next you travel to DC and choose a hotel:

Customer Service - It is my opinion that the majority of employees at this hotel have negative morale and attitude problems. Rather than making a guest feel welcomed and comfortable, they make you feel more like you have inconvenienced them. Here are just a few examples to support my opinion:
- Doormen rarely opened doors for customers or asked if you need assistance. Most were busy talking to one another and rarely focused on the guest.
-The Front Desk neglected to explain basis policies and amenities during the check-in process.They even forgot to provide platinum amenity and I had to ask for it. The check-out process required me to explain want I needed several times.
- Restaurant staff operated with extreme attitude to the point you felt like any request was a bother. In addition , the majority of the servers did not have command of the English language and were very difficult to communicate with. I witnessed other customers experiencing similar problems.
Platinum Recognition - No room upgrade was provided. The hotel's platinum internet policy was not properly explained and when asked, staff could not explain it. I was given an inferior room at check-in (Room 204) next to gym where I heard the patter of the treadmill for hours on end. Not sure why I was given this room since I checked in on a Monday afternoon and stayed two nights. This room should had been left for end of day sold-out situations. I did not complain or ask for upgrade.
Platinum Tip- Don't opt for the free breakfast as your Platinum Amenity. A small choice of fruits, day old breads, and cereals were served buffet style. No protein choices were offered. Getting more coffee and juice was a difficult task. Service was poor, however, restaurant was elegant and clean.
Rooms/Hotel/Gym - The hotel was a Ritz Carlton many years ago. The hotel was renovated since and is still in good condition. Rooms are comfy and clean. Turndown and maid service was very good. Gym facilities were average at best.
Location - I very much enjoy the DuPont Circle area, so I love this hotel's location. The metro stop is just a five minute walk and wonderful restaurants are down the block. Try Circa or La Tomate which are two of my Dupont Circle favorites.
Overall, the Fairfax has the potential to be a good luxury hotel, but currently does not meet the high standard of other Starwood Luxury Collection hotels. Please think twice before staying here. I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and finally felt it was time to publicly say something constructive about it's growing employee problem. If you're a loyal Starwood member and need a place to stay while in DC, I would recommend the St. Regis, W Hotel, Westin Georgetown, or Le Meridien. I have personally stayed at each of these hotels and believe they are much better choices.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank BOLDMissionHills_KS

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointing stay that you have described. We are certainly most concerned to read about your experience and want you to know that the service you received is not indicative of what we want to provide our valued guests. Many times SPG status may not be awarded, depending on how you reserved your stay, such as through a third party booking service. Sometimes, upgrades are not available when the hotel is full. We do apologize if that was not made clear during the check-in process. We do regret that you did not receive the personalized service that our staff strives to provide each and every guest, and we will be sure to share your concerns with our staff in order to pre-empt any further occurrences such as yours. I would like to point out that our breakfast buffet includes eggs, sausage, bacon and potatoes as part of the Platinum amenity and our selection of breads and pastries are delivered fresh to the hotel every morning. Thank you for reaching out to us and alerting us to your concerns. We would hope to be able to welcome you back in the future with the hopes of changing your perspective. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I walked all around the area trying to find a quiet, chill, WARM, relaxed bar atmosphere to grab a drink after dinner to no avail. When we got back to the Fairfax, we decided to check out the bar. Absolutely fabulous! Hidden gem! Fireplaces, cozy places to sit and best of all, Raoul the bartender to take care of us. Very personable and remembers your orders and makes you feel like you are a regular in no time. Raoul deserves a raise!

Room Tip: we were on the 6th floor away from a lot. very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

How nice that The Fairfax Lounge and its staff were able to provide you with the relaxing experience you were looking for. Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our staff, and for your kind review. We’re already looking forward to welcoming you back for another great stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed at Fairfax at least 8 times, every experience is better than the last. Location is excellent walking to DuPont Circle and Metro . Staff is excellent and helpful, rooms are very comfortable and clean. Will continue to return to this elegant hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank traveler805

Learning that you will continue to return to The Fairfax at Embassy Row is a wonderful compliment and we thank you for your loyalty! It’s great to see that our staff was able to make your stay so enjoyable and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the surrounding neighborhood. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.