The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #74 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Farfax in Dupont Circle is a great location, close to museums, DCA airport, the Mall but most importantly it is a very clean and an elegant place. It is an old hotel but has been updated. From a females perspective the bathroom was awesome. Large, lots of space and great mirrors for makeup! The staff was very profession as well as friendly. Very helpful with directions, getting taxis and just being there for you. Wonderful old bar. Keep in mind this hotel does not have a lot of added features, with food vending machines, a mini store for food/water/personal needs. One block away is a mini store, starbucks and many places to eat. My only "beef" is they charge yor to use in office internet to print out boarding passes etc. It's 6.95 for 15 mins. Why nit pick with such a silly charge. My suggestion is to let guests have 15 min for free to just print out boarding passes and then charge after that, if they feel the "need" to charge for internet use. This complant is very minor considering the great time and comfortable feel we had staying at the Farifax Dupont Cirlce. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have a view of the dumpsters!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for choosing The Fairfax at Embassy Row for your recent stay in Washington, DC. I am thrilled to know that our spacious bathrooms and elegant accommodations created a memorable stay for you. Our staff strives to ensure each and every guest leaves our hotel feeling extra special and it seems we met that goal with you. I do want to clarify for others that while our business center does charge for computer use, the printing of boarding passes has always been free – right from the main screen. We’re sorry that this was not apparent. Please come and stay with us soon, and thanks for your comments.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here on a Pleasure trip. It was my first stay at a The Luxury Collection property and I was not disappointed. The property itself is in a great locationA fabulous building, beautifully maintained and up to date with all of the features a business or leisure traveler may require, served by the most attentive, well trained and dedicated staff in this or any big city hotel. I have a great deal on my mind when I travel. To be able to rely on great accommodation and this terrific staff lifts a huge burden off of me and makes me much more effective at my job. Many thanks for the opportunity to express my appreciation.

The concierge was exceptionally helpful... Tee Loofa was especially gracious, making sure we were happy with our room and checking on us throughout our stay. He came out from behind the desk to greet us and make sure we were happy with everything, making this feel like an intimate boutique rather than a chain.

From the moment we arrived, to the instant we left, we were treated like royalty and we loved every single second of it..We would definitely consider returning in the future and it is certainly highly recommended for a wonderful family experience in a DC hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

I am thrilled that your first stay at a Luxury Collection hotel did not disappoint. Knowing that your experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row afforded you the opportunity to relax and become more productive makes all of us very happy. It is a true pleasure for our team to delight our guests with anything that they need and we look forward to having you join us in historic Dupont Circle for many years to come. Thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am picky!!! So when planning our 5 day trip with my husband and two little girls (ages 8 and 9) we looked at quite a few hotels. Well we picked the best hotel to stay while in DC. From the doorman to housekeeping....they all made our stay very enjoyable. Great location, pretty rooms, clean bathrooms. Restaurant/lounge had great food for when we were too exhausted to venture out after a day of sightseeing. Location was safe. Concierge was awesome!!! Answered any question we had for them, assisting us with our adventures for the day. The entire staff was so friendly. They made us feel very comfortable and they were very pleasant and welcoming. Our two little girls loved it also... cried on our cab ride back to the train station. Can't say enough. Price was great and would love to return again!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

You’ve definitely pulled at our heartstrings and it would be our pleasure to welcome you, your husband and your wonderful little girls back for another great stay very soon. I am very happy to learn that the entire staff of The Fairfax at Embassy Row made your stay so memorable and I hope to continue to be able to greet your family again and again. Thank you for your wonderful review.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

As a 35-year veteran traveller I have plenty of opinions regarding hotels and hotel staff. The Fairfax is one of the most pleasant of experiences one can have in a non-resort hotel. Easy to find, around the corner from numerous restaurants and service oriented stores, quiet streets, nice rooms and wonderful staff. From Bellmen to Concierge, Front Desk to Hostesses, these are some of the nicest and most attentive hotel employees you will find anywhere. I can't say enough about these wonderful folks. They make you feel like you are part of their family!

Room Tip: I personally like a room on the upper corner facing Massachusetts and 21st Street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Learning that each and every aspect of your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row was truly exceptional makes me very happy and I thank you for your fantastic review. It is certainly our pleasure to be able to contribute to our guest’s travel experiences from start to finish and through team work we are able to deliver a hotel stay unlike that of the ordinary. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and I look forward to greeting you in the not so distant future.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The room was small,the shower was nice - goooood water pressure and a temp gauge BUT the pillows are crap. Crap I say. The feather pillows were bad enough - Big and flat. The replacement pillows were worse. Small and flat. What a disappointment. Staff is lovely, but bring your own piilow

Room Tip: Pick a high - above 5 - floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Irieas

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row during your recent trip to Washington, DC. I am truly disappointed to learn that you did not receive a restful night’s sleep while here and wish that your experience had been a better one. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us during your next stay if there is anything that we can do to make your stay more comfortable. Your feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Over the years, we have departed from B&Bs in big cities for nicer hotels. After years of spotty service, moronic guests, and street noise, we had put up with enough. Enter this hotel, with Old-World service...and prices. Be prepared to spend 300 per night on a delightful room and a staff eager to get you back again. You cannot ask for a more convenient locale in the District, either. Good food and the Phillips Collection are a few steps away, as is the DuPont Circle metro stop, a direct link to Union Station and Amtrak. I wish the hotel offered free Internet, but we have managed well without it during two visits.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OlVirginny

May I sincerely thank you for your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row and for taking the time to let us know about your experience. It’s wonderful to see that you appreciate our efforts to preserve the rich history and elegance of a time remembered, and that our convenient location added so much value to your excursion in Washington, DC. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon and I thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at the Fairfax for 5 days. Were there for a wedding in June. This was the second time I was staying there. Last time was there alone but this time with my son.
We had a wonderful time.

The plus points;
Fantastic location near Dupont Circle.
The rooms are neat and clean.
There is a lovely restaurant and bar inside the hotel in case you do not want to go out.
The staff at the reception, the concierge are courteous and helpful.
It has a nice gym where, (if you are exercise freak), can work out.

Close to the Dupont metro line -a mere 7-10 mts walk. (Be sure to avoid peak hours as it is crowded and also the non peak hour fares are less)
Walk out and lovely restaurants (reasonably priced) are just 5 minutes away. However if you venture a bit beyond the metro station, you will find a plethora of restaurants/eateries of varied cuisines to suit different pockets.

In case you want to take a conducted tour of the city (Hop on/Hop off bus OR the Trolley bus tours), the stops for these are also close to the hotel though you have to walk about 10-12 mts. to reach the pick-up point.

Another attraction close by is Georgetown. (the Hop on - Hop off/Trolley tour buses also take you there). The walk to Georgetown area is about 45 mts, which if you do, will thoroughly enjoy. Also, in the alternative you can take a bus (which is a sort of circular route bus) there and enjoy (though the bus stop for this route is also a 10-15mt walk from the hotel). Avoid peak hour travel by this bus because traffic crawls at that time and walking may be faster. Once there enjoy the special cup cakes and also do not forget to take a cruise on the boat.

The minus points of the hotel.
In case you ask the reception for a room number of a guest, they will not tell you (against their policy) but will connect you.
In case you want a knife to cut some fruits in the room, they will not provide it (against their policy) but you can go down to the restaurant and ask for one, which they will give.
Since we were there for the wedding, we were sitting and talking and laughing late at night in a room, when the security came up and said the guest next door has to catch a flight early next morning so we should wind up - this happened 2 days in a row - coincidence ???????????

All in all a wonderful hotel and a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the road.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I am so grateful that you’ve not only shared your experience at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, but also took the time to give our future guests some really wonderful tips about the area. Weddings are wonderful events at our hotel and we all hope that you and your son enjoyed yourself while here. I do appreciate your understanding regarding certain policies that are put in place to ensure every guest’s safety and comfort and I hope to be able to welcome you back very soon for another great stay. Thank you for your review.