“Historic Dupont Circle hotel that has an old fashioned charm”

The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #75 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed three nights in late April. Perfect location.

This hotel is a grand dame who is aging almost gracefully. Rooms had nice furniture but were smallish. Our room had a musty mildew order and the window did not open. The internet is not free and considering the price of the room that was annoying. Also they wanted two daily wifi charges for the two computers that we brought with us. When you are estimating your room charge make sure you add the 20 dollar a day internet to the 50 dollar overnight parking fee! Also the door to our room was hard to shut so that the lock clicked in. When we returned to our room the cleaning staff had not shut the door properly so the room was unlocked. Everything was fine but it was a little unsettling and the people at the desk did nothing to fix the problem with the door. They did say that they would speak with the housekeeper which didn't seem right tome as the problem was with thedoor not the housekeepers.

The Fairfax has some nice prints and art on the walls and sit is a very beautiful building. There are a couple of good places in the public spaces to sit and read or to have a drink. The Jockey Club was closed during our stay so I can't comment on the food. There are two sections of the hotel - an older original building and a extension that seems to have been added on at a later time. We stayed in a room in the addition.

Really nice doormen and bell staff! They are very knowledgeable about the area and eager to be helpful. Note: a little Amharic will be met with big smiles as most of the staff are Ethiopian.

Room Tip: Ask about room size.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank cosmic_beancounter
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2011

Amesegënallô! Thank you! The time you took to let us know about your stay will allow us to further improve our guests’ experience here at The Fairfax at Embassy Row. We are happy to see that you appreciated the stately elegance and graceful aging of our historic hotel. We were disappointed, though, to see that your room did not live up to your expectations. Our maintenance engineers will promptly repair the lock on the door so that there are no future security concerns. We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We just spent four wonderful nights at the Fairfax. It was such an elegant and wonderful refuge after long hot days walking the iconic sites in DC. The staff was super friendly and always remembered and welcomed us during each of our many comings and goings. We loved the privacy and way the hotel had a small private entryway then opened into a beautiful old world bar/lounge on one side and restaurant on the other. Dark woods, rich wall coverings, classic door/wall moldings, oriental styled thick carpeting throughout and DC themed wall pictures and prints made it such a pleasant surrounding. I got a great deal over the 4th using your website as the lead but I had no idea how well this hotel was going to work for us. The rooms are well insulated and we never heard neighbors and the service always found the way not to disturb us yet keep our room neat and clean (we had three in a standard double room). The bathroom and shower- marble, tile, dark wood and glass were great. We paid $153/night and it was by far the best deal we had in DC. The location near Dupont Circle but a bit away from the commercial (one block) was perfect for us.

• Stayed: July 2011
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for your kind comments about the Fairfax at Embassy Row and our staff. We will make sure your compliments are relayed to the individual departments. We are so happy you enjoyed the rich, elegant style of our hotel and hope that we can welcome you back again and again.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

I have to very strongly advise against this hotel. I have been a Starwood customer for the past 10 years (Gold or Platinum) and travel reasonably frequently. This is by far the most disappointed I've been after a stay, *and* my rate was actually very good--I cannot imagine how upset I'd be if I'd paid anything approaching full price.

To be fair, the front desk staff was very friendly and professional, and the location is obviously terrific. But this is the most disappointing hotel stay I've had in quite some time.

First, the walls are quite thin. I realize that a hotel is to some extent stuck with the building they have, but at this level of hotel, I don't expect to hear the conversation in the next room. Second, the water pressure in our first room was *awful*. (And when I hear "first room", I tend to think of folks who will never be happy anywhere. I can't recall ever asking for a room change before, and I stay in hotels at least a dozen times a year) Third, the A/C in both rooms was woefully inadequate. It's DC. It's July. This was bad. Fourth, a spider bit my girlfriend during the night our first evening there. Again, I certainly understand that a hotel in DC has certain realities that it has to deal with, but this is ostensibly a luxury hotel. Spider bites are not supposed to be part of the package. Finally, when we asked about the water & A/C situation, we were told that someone would be up to fix it. When we returned to the hotel in the evening, nothing had been changed, and I had to call down again to investigate. At that point, they offered us a different (smaller) room, which we accepted (although it had the same poor A/C, it did have reasonable water pressure).

Taking all of the above together, again, I strongly recommend you find a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jason L

Your feedback is extremely important to us. We are grateful that you contacted management during your stay with the issues that arose, but regret that we did not achieve the high standards which our guests should always expect of us. We have advised our maintenance engineers to further investigate the difficulties with the A/C and water pressure. We sincerely regret all the difficulties encountered during your stay and appreciate the time taken to share your experience.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Beautiful hotel, well located, nice neighborhood , Due to a booking mixup the room reserved was too small for the three of us and they upgraded us to a suite. Most amazing bed I've seen in a hotel. Staff are friendly enough. Lots of good restaurants around Dupont Circle. We never got to try the hotel restaurant, next time. Very important, day one ask where the subway is and use it. All sites look close on a map, however the blocks in Washington are huge and in the summer it's hot.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for the great advice to our other guests and the wonderful review! The Fairfax at Embassy Row is quite close to all the major transportation hubs in Washington DC, which allows for easy connections to all your favorite DC destinations. We’re so glad to see you enjoyed your room, particularly our Signature Bed. We hope you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy the Jockey Club Restaurant & Lounge on your next visit.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

I've stayed here a few times, when it was a Westin and 3 times as the Fairfax. I think it was time for a major refurbishment, but the present day Westin decor didn't match the architecture and feeling of the property so they went for Luxury Collection. I think they get a C- all around.
Staff at the door, when they are there are lackluster on a good day. The front desk is small with room for only two people at a time and I rarely get a real greeting, just the usual "ID and credit card please". The property just loaded some nicer stuff in the bathrooms and cleaned the place up, but they ignore the aesthetic repairs in the rooms as in chipped doors and trim, etc. The rooms vary widely but are generally not that big and therefore do not lend themselves to a luxury feel. This just does not hit what you expect from luxury collection. The only thing going for it is the location. As long as you don't need to be in the middle of government center, you are a hop from Georgetown, Dupont circle, DCA and where ever else you want to go. Unless I get a great rate, it's not worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Seven_Continents

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We’re so glad to see that you enjoyed our convenient location to the surrounding Washington DC area. Unfortunately, it seems that your stay with us was not as exceptional as it should have been. We value your feedback and will inform our maintenance engineers to attend to any touch-ups.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Although there were some positives to my stay here I have to say the hotel is definitely not a 4 1/2 star property. There were a lot of things lacking as far as service and amenities to justify that rating. I had a confirmed king room and upon check in was told I had a queen room and that the hotel was sold out. Fortunately I had a copy of the email confirming my room type and they honored it. The staff at the front door and room service were the friendliest. I found the front desk staff and concierge ignored most guests.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
FairfaxatEmbassyRow, General Manager at The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. First impressions are very important and we are glad that our front door and room service staff create a positive impact. We strive to accommodate all room type requests, though they cannot be guaranteed; we are happy that we were eventually able to accommodate your request. It is regrettable that your experience with our front desk staff and concierge was less than stellar. We will share your comments with our management associates so that they can reinforce with our staff the importance of the excellent customer service our guests come to expect of us.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel before and was quite satisfied, but I was surprised to find an unresponsive front desk and a stopped-up tub with rusted out shower rings in a hotel with this rating. When I tried to check-out in the morning, there was no one at the front desk. I waited for 10 minutes before someone showed up. When she arrived(without apology), she told me and the others waiting that the printer was down and she would email me the receipt., which I needed that day in order to receive reimbursement from our company's travel dept. I have to turn in the hotwire receipt as well as a hotel receipt showing the dates of my stay. I left the hotel 15 minutes late for my morning appt. When I had not received the receipt, I called the hotel only to be put on hold again and again. I finally had to go back to the hotel in person to collect the receipt later that day. On a good note, the location is excellent and the rooms are clean and comfortable. However, I would be reluctant to stay in this area again for fear I might get this hotel. That's too bad since I love the area and another hotel nearby.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank texasgirl1983

Your feedback is vital to us and we appreciate the time you took to share your experience. It is disheartening to learn our front desk staff was not as accommodating as you have come to expect of us and we regret the inconveniences that the printer difficulties caused you. We hope to regain your trust so we can welcome you back again and create that satisfied experience you had during your first visit.